DaleRFU Textures

DaleRFU

Evening all,

Here are just some of the textures that I am working on for this beast. I haven't started on the camo's yet, hope to get them done soon if possible. All still very much work in progress. 

Lightning06 by DaleRFU1, on Flickr

Lightning05 by DaleRFU1, on Flickr

Lightning04 by DaleRFU1, on Flickr

Lightning03 by DaleRFU1, on Flickr

Lightning02 by DaleRFU1, on Flickr

Lightning01 by DaleRFU1, on Flickr

Wow a diamond nine... long time since I saw one of those.

Kudos on you computer specs for being able to handle that lot............... and if you did it with FS recorder I'm in awe :D

Gosh what a lot of overwings though .... by this era all aircraft were modded for the radalt which replaced the overwing gauges , and most had internal blanks or PRC patches on the mounts to stop leaks so they only managed to find I think five that could still carry them for theTornado foxhunter trials , they had the gauges refitted at the side as 904......

I think most of this lot should be in the "noOW" folder ;0)

D

What's quite funny is that I used a freeware scenery of RAF Binbrook, but the AI models that came with it weren't great, so I changed them for Aerosoft Lightnings instead. They make very good traffic and seem pretty frame rate friendly!

I know it's not historically accurate whatsoever(this is at Wattisham in this picture), but I wanted a colourful set of aircraft operating.

Peter

2016-12-6_17-6-19-56.bmp

Hi Dave,

I did use FSRecorder but I only flew the first aircraft and then used a bit of FSRecorder trickery and added the others. I did it purely for the picture.

I have made them for the model that has O/W tanks because it's nice to have the choice. I will also make them for the NoOW model too so the user can have the choice.

The aircraft is actually really framerate friendly and I love that. There are so many aircraft out there that are (or seem) less complex than the Lightning but a far more hard hitting on framerates so kudos to however you have made it, it's fantastic.

I have to say a big thank you to Dave for his help with the camo schemes, without his help I wouldn't have been able to make them.

903 is actually two tone. The picture you have there shows that there is a clear difference between the two however from picture of when it was in service shows it's a bit more subtle 

http://www.airplane-pictures.net/photo/2282/xs903-uk-air-force-english-electric-lightning-f-6/

I also think from me adding the dirt effect that I have it may have taken away from the contrast between the two colours.

I found the BS 4800 Barley Grey to be rather elusive !  coming in several shades , but not on the official charts at all .

BS 381 C-627 Light aircraft grey is represented .so easier to find

But when you look at a photo of an  aircraft in service the colouration seems to depend on the film used and the ambient lighting or shadow.

Some aircraft do appear to have a greater  two-tone  variation.... I think it depends on how well the painter and doper shook the tins !;)

Please login to display this image.

Present day colours can be deceptive as weathering can darken some pigments and bleach others .... or well meaning restorers have grabbed the nearest can in Halfords1

Nice work Dale and some good SS's 

May be your white wingwalk lines are a bit thick, LPG's are only 1/4" wide

D

20 hours ago, DaleRFU said:

I also think from me adding the dirt effect that I have it may have taken away from the contrast between the two colours.

I really like XS936 in the colours of 5 Squad. Really great work considering how long it's taking me to do even one!:D

With the dirt effect is that purely the default layer of dirt that comes in the painkit or are you adding your own too, what kind of brush are you using for that because it looks great! The last question (I promise) is what Binbrook scenery are you using? I used to use the scenery by SDB but now I've gone for Ted Harrison's freeware and the edited the flight plans that come with that and replaced the AI Lightnings with the F6s, F3s and T5s by John Young. I think Ted's scenery is great but the only issue for me is that runway 3/21 seems to have two surfaces and the top surface overlays the runway markings and lights of the first. No amount of tinkering in ADE seems to fix it, not sure if the runway issue is a general thing or something exclusive to my computer..

@Dave

1) not sure what you mean by SS's?

2) the wing walk lines I used are from the paintkit, I didn't make them myself.

@Cameron

1) It took a little bit of time to get everything set up in PSP I.e. The layers etc but once that is done it was just a case of checking and unchecking of layers so it then doesn't take that long, probably only took about 10mins per aircraft.

2) I added my own dirt layer that I used of my old Alphasim Lightning repaints, can't remember how I did it as it was a while ago sorry.

3) The scenery I am using is from Stevo over at the now disbanded ACG. It is the FS9 version I was testing for him. Sadly he has now given up making models for FS after he suffered a HD failure. It's a real shame because he was an artist when it came to scenery design (made the wattisham scenery).

Regards

1 hour ago, DaleRFU said:

3) The scenery I am using is from Stevo over at the now disbanded ACG. It is the FS9 version I was testing for him. Sadly he has now given up making models for FS after he suffered a HD failure. It's a real shame because he was an artist when it came to scenery design (made the wattisham scenery).

Ah I thought it was an ACG affair with the QRA hangar, I remember seeing something about an ACG Binbrook a few years back (as well as a Bruntingthorpe and an FSX conversion for Gutersloh, I might be wrong?), the scenery by far was spectacular. was the Binbrook scenery you're using not completely finished?

Cameron.

p.s. I've got a layer for the white walk lines that are 1/4" wide if you want them.

18 hours ago, DaleRFU said:

@Dave

1) not sure what you mean by SS's?

2) the wing walk lines I used are from the paintkit, I didn't make them myself.

1) Screen shot's 

2) you are allowed to change them  !! :D

Dave

Great repaints, DaleRFU.  Now I have a technical or historical question.

The install has textures for two different models, the guntank and the No Overhead Wing tanks.  Does this mean the same aircraft was configured for both?  For example, was the 11 Sqn XR773 "BR"  actually configured with and without OW tanks?

Just curious.

Thanks

--WH

7 hours ago, WarHorse47 said:

Great repaints, DaleRFU.  Now I have a technical or historical question.

The install has textures for two different models, the guntank and the No Overhead Wing tanks.  Does this mean the same aircraft was configured for both?  For example, was the 11 Sqn XR773 "BR"  actually configured with and without OW tanks?

Just curious.

Thanks

--WH

The aircraft could well of been fitted with them, wingman is the guy to ask about that as used to work on them. I have just given the user the option to have them if they wish. If you don't want them then just transfer the texture files over from the gun tank model to the no over wing tank model. 

Regards

Dale

Many thanks for these. They're great.

I've installed them all as directed, but I have simply left out the aircraft.cfg entries from the guns model. As Dave said earlier in this thread, very few airframes were up to having the tanks fitted by the time they were required.

By the time of fitting, all the aircraft were high hours/high fatigue.

It was suggested that the RAF take on the surplus-to-requirements ex-Saudi/Kuwaiti F53/T55 aircraft that were littering the airfield at Warton - but no takers. A great shame.

Dave

3 hours ago, DaleRFU said:

The aircraft could well of been fitted with them, wingman is the guy to ask about that as used to work on them. I have just given the user the option to have them if they wish. If you don't want them then just transfer the texture files over from the gun tank model to the no over wing tank model. 

Regards

Dale

By the late 70's all F6's had been modified for the radio altimeter fit , and this took the place of the overwing fuel gauges . so no lightning could use overwings.after that  The mod coinsided roughly with the advent of the  painted finishes , However  five were adapted for the Foxhunter trials ..XR724 ; XS904 ; XS928 ; XR773 ; XP693 they had the gauges re introduced on the sbd coaming.

so to be historically correct (ish) 

radalt = no overwing fit == noOW model

foxhunter trials = radalt + overwing fit == ferrytank model

overwings = pre radalt  = silver == guntank model

D

Sooo...  my next question...can these textures be used for the ferrytank model?

Cause..to be near historically correct (ish) according to Wingman, XR724BC, XS928AD and XR773BR could actually be for the ferrytank or guntank model with the remainder for the noOWmodel? 

--WH

You should be able to put the textures on any model , or have the same texture on all 3 models if you wish  Just make a new entry in the .cfg and alter the  model= xxxxx and texture= yyyyy to suit.

Dale, please forgive my ignorance but I am quite confused as to how to install these superb looking repaints.  I am using P3D, following the readme for all three parts it would appear that the cfg files would overwrite themselves thus losing all but the last parts textures....  Again pls forgive me but am a little lost.

Archived