Potential Lightning Updates?

peter197

Hello,

As always I have really enjoyed flying the Lightning for a long while and I was wondering whether more realism could be implemented to the aircraft, much like the Milviz T-38A Advanced. 

It would be great to see the AI23 radar acquire targets at far more realistic targets instead of up to 80nm, and less reliable engines with potential for fires if poorly handled.

Is this possible, or could it be done with the T4/5?
Peter

Hi Peter

I'm all for implementing as much realism as possible , but it has to be subject to my programming skills (very limited) and the capabilities of the base sim/tacpack.

To address your points

22 hours ago, peter197 said:

It would be great to see the AI23 radar acquire targets at far more realistic targets instead of up to 80nm,

Not sure what you mean here,  in the RW a large target will be picked up earlier than a small one , but the sim has no way of differentiating AI size.

Again in the RW the pilot would be vectored onto the target by a ground controller, he'd switch his radar to 40/80  and fly on this vector until the target painted  after which he'd call "Judy" and go it alone. I can't see how this could be implemented .

22 hours ago, peter197 said:

and less reliable engines with potential for fires if poorly handled.

Well the Lightning was certainly no stranger to fires, but none were caused by mishandling . A fire is cause by fuel, oil or hot gas leaks , exceptionally on occasion by a catastrophic compressor failure causing a titanium fire.

The Avon is not like a car engine , you can't blow it up by over revving it !  note the RPM gauge is in % , the pilot simply selects what percentace of Max he wants (actual RPM is immaterial)

and the RTCU ( range temperature control unit ) takes care of the rest . TheTTC (top temp controller) sends its signals to the RTCU so everything stays in ballance at all speeds and altitude.

Should an engine misbehave the pilot would simply throttle it back and we'd change it when he returned!

Should he have a fire , he'd close the engine down and press the fire button. it it went out he'd come home if it didn''t he'd fly out to sea and eject !

If you want failures just set the sims system to random and take what comes ...the emergency procedures are there as a popup..... that's the realistic way 

D

Hmmm I see, I was just under the impression that the Lightning engines were a little less reliable.

It's a shame there isn't an effective GCI application unlike the AS F-14, it would be very good with the Lightning.

The Avon was an exeptionally reliable and robust engine , It was the connections to it that let it down !

I have opened up engines where the only percieved fault was a reduced max rpm, and found that the compressor was wrecked and four stator and rotor stages

completly missing / dissintegrated !

The F14 had a team of top class programmers working on it .......... with the Lightning you are stuck with me :0) ...  and I have no idea how to format missions and AI .

D

Archived