RIO's Radar / IR / TV Control Panel

Top Jockey

Hello everyone,

I've noticed some features in F-14X Extended (which look like new?), like moving knobs & switches, although they don't have real effect in the Tomcat systems yet.

They are at the RIO Left Side Console; in the Radar / IR / TV (TCS) control panel (the image below).

Does anyone know what are the marked knobs & switches, A, B and C, and what exactly they do ?

Please login to display this image.

C button is for slave TCS to radar. If it is in front position, TCS will track radar target. if it is in center TCS is independent of radar and will not track radar target. Rear position is to slave radar to TCS. Radar antenna follows TCS camera. The switch in RIO cockpit must be set to IR/TV position.

9 hours ago, Victory103 said:

ABC are related to controlling the TCS (TV camera) in various modes (Radar, TARPS), but are not functions modeled in the -14X since they are all "grayed" out.

Yes had roughly that general idea, although was forgetting about TARPS also.

1 hour ago, miroslavmurin said:

C button is for slave TCS to radar. If it is in front position, TCS will track radar target. if it is in center TCS is independent of radar and will not track radar target. Rear position is to slave radar to TCS. Radar antenna follows TCS camera. The switch in RIO cockpit must be set to IR/TV position.

If that is the "slave" mode, shouldn't it be the A button ?

(Hence the "slave" caption.)

What about B and C buttons, anyone has any idea ?

1 hour ago, miroslavmurin said:

yes, my mistake.

I think B,C buttons have no function yet. See manual vol.6 page 16.

Thank you for pointing that new update on the manual (with the Extended pack), I wasn't aware...

And it's too bad that because of FSX animations limit, we don't get to see much more working knobs and switches.

(For instance: AIM-9 Sidewinder seeker head slaved to Radar or TCS.)

I've tried to designate a target aircraft with the TCS, but can you tell me how to:

- move the TCS cross hairs;

- "lock" the TCS on the target;

- move the RIO stick ?

Thank you.

AFAIK there is no way to do it with the stick. In the Shift+3 menu you see a left-right arrow switch. With that arrow you can cycle between the targets, and lock them. I think it's a workaround, but it works quite well.

10 minutes ago, Top Jockey said:

I've tried to designate a target aircraft with the TCS, but can you tell me how to:

- move the TCS cross hairs;

- "lock" the TCS on the target;

- move the RIO stick ?

2 minutes ago, reflected said:

AFAIK there is no way to do it with the stick. In the Shift+3 menu you see a left-right arrow switch. With that arrow you can cycle between the targets, and lock them. I think it's a workaround, but it works quite well.

Hello Reflected,

I do know the Shift + 3 menu, but I believe that is to lock target aircraft with the Radar, and I'm trying to lock them first with the TCS if possible.

About the RIO stick, in the F-14X Extended pack manuals; Vol 6 - Weapons; page 16; in "common inputs" :

If you see the picture and the several captions (in the pic. and below), it shows it's poissible to do several actions with the stick... I just don't know how to activate those features.

I was trying to lock target with TCS as well, but I think it is not possible. Regard to joystick input,  you can map "Toggle flight director" to some key or joystick button. If you press that key/button you will control RIO stick with your joystick - it moves TCS crosshair, target designator and radar antenna. depends on switches positions in RIO cockpit.

If you want to control TCS, radar antenna and target designator without joystick, you can map "landing lights left/right/up/down" to some keys or HAT on your joystick.

I don't remember exactly, but I think SLAVE switch has to be in TCS or INDEP position to be able to move TCS crosshair

56 minutes ago, miroslavmurin said:

I was trying to lock target with TCS as well, but I think it is not possible. Regard to joystick input,  you can map "Toggle flight director" to some key or joystick button. If you press that key/button you will control RIO stick with your joystick - it moves TCS crosshair, target designator and radar antenna. depends on switches positions in RIO cockpit.

If you want to control TCS, radar antenna and target designator without joystick, you can map "landing lights left/right/up/down" to some keys or HAT on your joystick.

I don't remember exactly, but I think SLAVE switch has to be in TCS or INDEP position to be able to move TCS crosshair

Would appreciate your advice if possible Miroslav.

I enter the slew mode in game (key Y), but when i try slewing in any direction, the aircraft also moves from it's position.

I mean SLAVE switch in RIO pit. On the left panel. It is that switch you marked as "A" in the picture above. It has to be in TCS or INDEP position to be able to move TCS camera. Once SLEW switch is in TCS/INDEP position, use "landing lights left/right,up,down" to move TCS camera

If you wish to use joystick you have to map "toggle flight director" to some key on keyboard. For example I mapped it to "J" key. So when I press "J" I control TCS camera/Radar antenna/Target designator with my joystick. If I press it again, I control elevator/ailerons.

34 minutes ago, miroslavmurin said:

I mean SLAVE switch in RIO pit. On the left panel. It is that switch you marked as "A" in the picture above. It has to be in TCS or INDEP position to be able to move TCS camera. Once SLEW switch is in TCS/INDEP position, use "landing lights left/right,up,down" to move TCS camera

If you wish to use joystick you have to map "toggle flight director" to some key on keyboard. For example I mapped it to "J" key. So when I press "J" I control TCS camera/Radar antenna/Target designator with my joystick. If I press it again, I control elevator/ailerons.

That's what I didn't know I had to use instead - the landing lights commands (Ctrl + Shift + NumPad keys).

No it's working fine!

When you say: " have to map toggle flight director to some key on keyboard ", you mean:

- use the pre-defined " Y " key to enter the "slew mode " ?

- define joystick axis to work as the landing light commands also ?

EDIT :

Forget the above - now I've understood you !

( Ctrl + F )  -  enter "Flight Director" mode  /  game runs  /  use Joystick.

( Y )  -  enter "Slew" mode  /  game auto-pauses  /  use Landing lights commands.

There is nothing with Slew mode. I didn't mention Slew mode. I mentioned SLAVE switch in RIO pit. However as I understand you are able to move TCS "crosshair" with landing lights commands.

Regard to "toggle flight director" - Open FSX/P3D menu, go to controls, find "toggle flight director" and map it to some key. (I used "J" key. But you can choose any key on your keyboard). Now when you press that key your joystick works as RIO stick. If you press that key again, your joystick will return to normal mode (as pilot stick)

1 minute ago, miroslavmurin said:

There is nothing with Slew mode. I didn't mention Slew mode. I mentioned SLAVE switch in RIO pit. However as I understand you are able to move TCS "crosshair" with landing lights commands.

Regard to "toggle flight director" - Open FSX/P3D menu, go to controls, find "toggle flight director" and map it to some key. (I used "J" key. But you can choose any key on your keyboard). Now when you press that key your joystick works as RIO stick. If you press that key again, your joystick will return to normal mode (as pilot stick)

You're absolutelly right  -  I've edited my above post meanwhile...

Would be awsome if Aerosoft decided to allow AIM-9 seeker-head to scan about Radar or TCS.

Thank you for your advice.

By the way, does anyone know how to execute the " RIO target select " ?

What is it supposed to do ? Select that target ? Put the radar in STT ?

(Like suggested in the manual; Vol 6; page 16; i've designated a key event to the "G1000 MFD Cursor Select"... but it did nothing.)

G1000 MFD cursor select works fine. You have to place target designator over target and press G1000 MFD cursor select. Regard to STT, you have to select it manually from RIO pit or from Shift+3 menu. Another way is to define it in FSUIPC as LUA 142.

G1000 MFD cursor select works also with LANTRIN mode AC stab, Ground Stab to lock AI ground target. For example ship.

2 hours ago, miroslavmurin said:

G1000 MFD cursor select works fine. You have to place target designator over target and press G1000 MFD cursor select. Regard to STT, you have to select it manually from RIO pit or from Shift+3 menu. Another way is to define it in FSUIPC as LUA 142.

G1000 MFD cursor select works also with LANTRIN mode AC stab, Ground Stab to lock AI ground target. For example ship.

Hello again,

Yes, in the "controls" menu in FSX, I did assign the Joystick button 2 to something like "G1000 MFD CRSR" (there was no "select" word anywhere).

Then, in game I placed the TID cursor over a Radar target, pressed Joystick button 2, but didn't notice anything...

Was the " RIO target select " expected effect, the same as pressing the target selection arrows in Shift + 3 menu ?

10 minutes ago, miroslavmurin said:

Yes, it should be something like "G1000 MFD cursor button". The effect should be same as pressing arrows in Shift+3 menu.

Ok, I'll try it tomorrow and report here the results.

Thank you for your time!

On 10/11/2016 at 10:49 PM, miroslavmurin said:

Yes, it should be something like "G1000 MFD cursor button". The effect should be same as pressing arrows in Shift+3 menu.

Hello again Miroslav,

The key assign really is "G1000 MFD CRSR"... the problem was, in the controls / assign keys; I did assign Joystick button 2 for it - which already is assigned by TacPack.

So I assigned other Joystick button, and all is oustanding now.

Give me a call if you figure how to lock the TCS on a target without Radar.

Thank you for your time and help!

I think it is not possible to lock target with TCS without radar. You can lock air target with LANTRIN but there is some limitation in Tacpack or FSX/P3D. So if you lock air target with LANTRIN you don't see it on radar. To lock air target with LANTRIN just switch it to A/C stab mode, weapon system to A/A mode, aim the air target and press G1000 MFD cursor.

18 hours ago, miroslavmurin said:

I think it is not possible to lock target with TCS without radar. You can lock air target with LANTRIN but there is some limitation in Tacpack or FSX/P3D. So if you lock air target with LANTRIN you don't see it on radar. To lock air target with LANTRIN just switch it to A/C stab mode, weapon system to A/A mode, aim the air target and press G1000 MFD cursor.

Yes, about TCS it seem's it isn't.

About LANTIRN, thank you for your advice - I got to use it pretty quick, some remarks:

- yes LANTIRN must be locked manually, either on AIr or Ground targets;

- you can have a Radar lock on an aircraft, but from the moment you select "Ground stab or A/C stab" modes for LANTIRN, the Radar loses lock and stops searching;

- locked LANTIRN on the USS Kitty Hawk, as a "Carrier landing help in bad weather"... but only managed to lock it up after slecting A/G master mode, (which does cancel Landing master mode)...

Archived