Boats, FLOLS, VLSO, Full ACLS to trap and Turkey Approach Techniques

balis323

I’m finally starting to get the hang of flying this bird around the boat. I’m still pretty consistently getting 1 wires. I’m using VLSO… I don’t use the default FSX carrier (I don’t like the model)… I use the Javier Fernandez carriers (AI carriers 2), CVN 63 that came with the package and the Team SDB CVN-65.

For the SDB CVN-65  (I use 110.5 for the default “normal” meatball setup with 3.5deg approach angle… but I like the advanced option… I think the landing area lighting is better, but the FREQs are different (116/116.50) so… when I switch to the advanced by changing FREQs… I get the landing area light change and the 4.0 deg meatball, but loose the F-14 AWLS cues on the VDI/HSI and HUD cues/TACAN DME info in the cockpit.

I get my best deck landing results with the Aerosoft F-14 on the R98 Clémenceau - Royale French Navy. I think the FLOLS on this boat is a good compromise between using the pop-up FOLOS gauge (like the one packaged on the SLUDGE F-18… that was too difficult for me… being so close???) and the default ones we are used to. For those unfamiliar with the Clemenceau FLOLS the FLOLS system is larger at first and then resizes as you get in closer on approach.

I read the GOGUE on the VLSO Blog Spot regarding the wire zone differences between the various carrier models… I thought by using the CVN-63 that came with the Tomcat, that I would be getting better results on approaches.

Starting to think I’m pretty bad at deck landings, but I get better grades with the, FSXBA F-18C, VRS F-18E, T-45C, F-14D, A-4, T-2, F/A-201 (easiest bird to get onboard in my opinion) ,  and ANTS T-28C.

Come to think of it, I have never had an Aerosoft F-14 ACLS approach go to a full trap... I never see the 10 SEC light even though the CMD CONTROL is on the entire time… it often touches down on the back end of the deck just past the wires (I’ve tried the FULL ACLS with Fernandez’s Fernandez’s CVNs, Kittyhawk CV-63, and CVN-65 Enterprise ). I follow the full recommended procedure per the documentation and I have seen it trap on YOUTUBE videos, so I know it can do it.

I have tried all carries with the Auto throttle and I normally have the speedbrakes out and use the DLC… although I only have the DLC configured to max/off… under the most recent mod… can it be programmed to be used incrementally? I thought I read that it could (cowlflaps).

VOL-7 of the documentation has an excellent breakdown of how to pull off traps (the best I’ve ever seen)… are there any other tips or advice on techniques to get better grades using VLSO? Or should I not use VLSO?  I have seen other posts where folks have vetted some frustration regarding getting this awesome bird aboard well. I have read that it was safe but tough to get aboard in real life.

Again… any tips or tricks/ links to good videos would be greatly appreciated.

I would also like to get more information on getting good traps with the F14. I am have the hardest time and I am using the carrier that came with the F-14.

JeffG

If you check out utube you will find a F14 landing technique video, it is a very perishable skill that you need to practice again and again use vLSO.

make sure your AUW is low and the A/C is trimmed and on speed downwind, fly the case 1 approach as the directions on speed and correct rates of descent at the correct positions and you will get a good start don't over correct and fly the A/C all the way down to deck don't spot the deck fly the ball right to the touch down, keep cross checking BALL, LINEUP , AOA. Use power to correct glide slope i.e. If high reduce power but you then you need a corresponding stick movement to correct AOA.

For FLOLS I recommend the halo mod from the VLSO site, it makes the ball much more readable. Another (IMHO even better) way would be to attach the RFN FLOLS (http://royalefrenchnavy.perso.sfr.fr/Creations/RFN_Gauge_V421.zip) to the SBD Enteprise. IIRC the SBD manual mentions how to do that. The RFN FLOLS has two significant advantages:

1st It has an adjustable GS angle and does not necessarily use the insane 4.1 the default FLOLS comes with. 

2nd Unlike the default and the KittyHawk FLOLS, the RFN FLOLS is moving the ball continously up and down and not in descrete steps.

Im not sure if the "advanced option" you are referring to is the RFN FLOLS, but if it is, I had no problem with TACAN/VDI readouts with that.

Use DLC in the groove! It makes your life a lot easier since you can directly react to a low/high/fast/slow condition. But dont try to correct a major over/underpowered condition with DLC. 

Directional control is a pain in the F-14. While I almost never used rudder input in the VRS F-18E, the F-14X needs significant rudder input when coming out of turns. Additionally, even small bank changes in the groove will induce yaw which needs to be corrected with rudder input. Using the Post86 A version or the B version will help since it has the Aileron-Rudder Interconnect. 

One more very important thing about rudder and turning. You have to veeeery carefully pay attention during your turn into the groove. If you undershoot the centerline, you probably wont have enough time to stabilize before the ramp. If you overshoot the centerline, you will need excessive bank to line up back on the centerline. When coming out of such an excessive (say 35-40° bank) turn, a good deal of rudder input will be necessary to stop the yawing motion of the airplane. It takes a lot of practice to make this plane stop turning when and where you want, but once you got that figured out, you will be in a stable position at the 3/4nm which is most important IMHO.

VLSO is a great tool IMHO as it adds to the immersion and provides some challange/reward for flying so I would definetly recommend that. The LSO commands are also somewhat helpful. I would also suggest you do some FCLP before hitting the boat.

The F-14X is definetly the toughest FSX plane to land on a carrier, but I think that is owed to its real counterpart. Just to compare, my average VLSO score for the VRS F-18 was around 4 while with the F-14 it was about 3.4 (after tons of practice of course).

All... thanks for the input... I'll put it to good use... exactly what I was looking for.

So... I work on simulators for a living... my team was in Huntsville AL today, and one of the companies we met with, lead was a former F-14A pilot (he's the CO of a F-18E SQD in the reserves now). So I hijacked lunch and grilled him on all things F-14A that I had questions about based from the F-14X product... after about 20 mins... he assumed I flown F-14Ds and was comparing. I laughed and thought... WOW AEROSOFT really nailed this bird. The stories I heard today were priceless... I'm grateful for the glimpse into the world of the TOMCAT... I knew this bird was special but after the conversions I had today... there is no doubt!

check out this link on the F-14 design evolution (I suspect most in this forum probably saw it already... but for those who haven't its worth the time if you want to hear about the bird from one of its creators).

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&p=F-14+design#id=1&vid=02fe3f5673b9d1706e1ea7c171890322&action=click

Go for VLSO! It really adds to the immersion, it's one of the biggest challenges I've ever faced in a flight sim. I have a GPA of 3.43, but it's super hard. The Tomcat is a heavy bird, so the use of the DLC is a must. power corrections are often not quick enough, so you need to use the thumbwheel simultaneously. Don't let it fool you, if you are below glideslope, closing the DLC alone won't solve your problem.

I often get the comment "Not enough straghtaway". I thought it meant I don't travel far enough back from the abeam position. Therefore I always went back and did a long approach - unlike it's in the textbooks. Today I realized it was about my groove not being straight enough :D So now I started doing textbook approaches, i.e. turning 1-2 seconds after the abeam position is announced. It's really, REALLY hard this way, as there is no time for correction if you line up too high or low. I even got a waveoff :(

This being said I managed to close the day with a "smoothie" OK 3rd wire.

Holy Molly...I've been working real hard on my landings with the older "A" model. That one is a real dog to maneuver in the grove, and requires almost mil power. Now I switched to the "B" model, and it's like a walk in the park. The engines are super responsive, have plenty of power, and maybe it's an illusion, but it's also much more maneuverable at low speeds. Getting OK-s now mostly :ph34r:

Archived