Anyone made use of the F6 painkit?

TheCameronPerson

As above, I've attached the files so you can have a look as it's defeating me...

I've checked, and the textures and the alphas is all correctly aligned...

I've looked at the texture.cfg and there's no reason for me to see anything out of place...

Peter

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, peter197 said:

As above, I've attached the files so you can have a look as it's defeating me...

I've checked, and the textures and the alphas is all correctly aligned...

I've looked at the texture.cfg and there's no reason for me to see anything out of place...

Peter

Yup... its doing it for me …. I'm on it :ph34r:

9 minutes ago, wingman5 said:

Yup... its doing it for me …. I'm on it :ph34r:

OK.... took your bmp file   turned the 11 markings pale grey.... ( all paint should be the same alpha no matter the colour ) . flipped them the right way up ...

opened in DXT bmp and flipped them there 

...exported as dds and all's well !     

(  I only looked at the front )  Why are your files 5.33 mb …. should only be 4mb !

D

7 minutes ago, wingman5 said:

...exported as dds and all's well !     

(  I only looked at the front )  Why are your files 5.33 mb …

Fantastic really appreciate it.

You wouldn't mind sending the file over to me?

Cheers,

Peter

2 hours ago, peter197 said:

Fantastic really appreciate it.

You wouldn't mind sending the file over to me?

Cheers,

Peter

I didn't do a proper job on the paint alpha so you'll need to sort that , but it'll show you it fixes it .

Have you tried saving your work as PSD files instead of BMP, that way the layers are retained , so its easy to go back and make adjustments if needed . Keep them the right way up , then upload the texture and alpha into DXTbmp and flip them just before exporting .

lit_fuse_f_T.dds

D

The files in the GIMP folder are of a .xcf extension, but they have all of the layers in there.

I think for me I'm just trying to become more efficient in making the textures.

Out of interest, how do you align all the alpha things to account for markings, and how do you integrate markings onto specular files?

Peter

Hi Peter 

Yes I noticed the Gimp folder after I posted the reply , I don't suppose it makes much difference but PDF will open in

DXTBmp so it saves that extra BMP step.

For aligning  I buttonize every layer which in effect draws a 1 pixel border round it . so I can copy and paste the layer with the markings say, straight to the alpha sheet and it is bound to align , then use brightness to turn it all white and darken as required . If I think I have got some overspill from shadows or blurring etc , I use the crop tool dragged to the frame borders  which cuts the whole texture set back to is correct dimensions.

To integrate markings on the spec textures simply pick the spec sheet you want and use the method as above, then place the spec texture in the  aircrafts texture folder so it won't go to the fallback.Sometimes you can see a ghost of an old sqn marking and that is a good way to get that effect.

Cheers

D

Appreciate the advice.

I've just started moving onto my next paint, working on Wattisham Target Facilities Flight.

I've been trying to capture the sort of dull shine the older F1As had with scratches on top.

I've only done the tail so far, but I really want to try and do this properly.

If anyone has any pictures of older silver tails that looks at the scratches and colour smudges that would be great.

Any further advice is always appreciated.

Peter

Please login to display this image.

In truth the TFF kites were subject to the same grubby ..washed...polished cycle as the rest of the fleet ,especially during the airshow season.  and as they lasted from 1960 to 74 ish and 2000 ish hours ...less flying hours than the F3's and 6's.

Logically the fin being well out of harms way wasn't subject to being walked on or having things dragged across it , and with no fluids present didn't get particularly dirty , just ablation on the leading edge and  a bit of grease smearing on the rudder.  

D

So what are your thoughts on this?
I've only done the front texture so far today, but I've wanted to give it a bit of a worn look there.

On some of the panels I put a scratched metal picture on top, lowered the opacity on it to give it a more used look. I also put those panels there on the alpha and coloured them accordingly some it would be a mix of dull and shine.

Then I went to the alpha and used the scratched metal look and put it over the whole aircraft(though I may remove it from the bottom), so some areas are shinier than others as it goes through the light.

In no way am I asking it to be super realistic - but is it somewhat realistic/expected?

Looks grand to me , I use distressed metal photos myself and blend them in . Its worth noting the removable panels were Painted silver and so were never as shiny as the airframe ,and could of cause get scratched by slipping screwdrivers ( and being thrown onto the panel racks  :rolleyes:)    Try putting a very scratchy texture on the spec channel .

Got a little distracted but I've got back to finishing XM192 up. Quite pleased with the effects so far. Just need to move onto the wings.

33 minutes ago, peter197 said:

Got a little distracted but I've got back to finishing XM192 up. Quite pleased with the effects so far. Just need to move onto the wings.

Hi Peter

If you want to get it just right , I think your tail tricolour is a bit large  the roundel with the TFF cat a tad small , and the union jack has a broader white border. I would use a photo of the tail and stretch it to fit the lines on the texture, the perspective might be all wrong... but you get the correct proportions and positioning.

On the nose the yellow nameplate would probably be for Sqn Ldr Russ Pengelly.

The photos I have of the right hand side show the station badge in place of the TFF cat  and the TFF cat is a big dayglo sticker on the nose . Dates are different though so it might have been an earlier scheme... long time ago … can't remember 

D

You're right.

Thing is I've been sort of learning as I go along, so I didn't know how to do that beforehand. But I'm sure now I can do it fairly quickly. I remember with the roundel that I copied it from another texture of yours, but I doubt it would be difficult to restructure that.

Problem is I'm 20 years old, so I've hardly seen Lightnings, let alone an F1A.

I saw the variations, but the ones that had the dayglo sticker on the right had a different crest on the tail... which is problematic.

In regards to the nameplate, I have no idea what it looks like specifically.

These repaints have been quite a bit of a learning experience!

Peter

5 hours ago, peter197 said:

You're right.

Thing is I've been sort of learning as I go along, so I didn't know how to do that beforehand. But I'm sure now I can do it fairly quickly. I remember with the roundel that I copied it from another texture of yours, but I doubt it would be difficult to restructure that.

Problem is I'm 20 years old, so I've hardly seen Lightnings, let alone an F1A.

I saw the variations, but the ones that had the dayglo sticker on the right had a different crest on the tail... which is problematic.

In regards to the nameplate, I have no idea what it looks like specifically.

These repaints have been quite a bit of a learning experience!

Peter

We are all learning  ….there is no right way to do these things …. just the way that gives you your best results  

I have found a photo with the cat on the right of the fin as well  so that must have been its final placement. 

Its a true side on view so good for positioning.

The nameplate is just a strip of yellow paint with the pilots name stencilled in black , other squadrons had white stencilled on black ( or blue for LTF).

When I was twenty I was also painting a TFF lightning ………

...........on the front of the line tea bar counter …………. tough work but someone had to do it :D

D

PS. Just checked and I think Russ was a Flt Lt .

• 1 year later...

Hi, i'm a great fan and user of the lightnings! I do a bit of repaint too and i'm seeking for the effects/lignes scratches/bolts, as after making a few greys ' i'm moving on the two tones schemes, and the original liveries, have really great detailing that aren't in the paintkit layers.

So if they're still available, would be neat and faster to use them!

Thanks again for those really moving and enjoyable birds!

• 2 weeks later...

here we go, still some little rebel bits to locate on the sheets, but it's well underway now. heavy work on allumium color and reflexion for it to work good without the chrome wet aspect.I 'd really like to add those genius effect of the original release but can't put my grasp on it yet.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/10/2020 at 8:26 PM, nastybeasts said:

Hi, i'm a great fan and user of the lightnings! I do a bit of repaint too and i'm seeking for the effects/lignes scratches/bolts, as after making a few greys ' i'm moving on the two tones schemes, and the original liveries, have really great detailing that aren't in the paintkit layers.

So if they're still available, would be neat and faster to use them!

Thanks again for those really moving and enjoyable birds!

Hi there 

Sorry for the delay in replying , but my notification seems to have got itself switched off !

Still I'm happy to render any assistance  ( but by the screengrabs it doesn't look like you need much :0)

Are you working with standard textures or PBR ?

I'll put my thinking cap on (and ask around) for info on the Binbrook scenery .

Cheers

Dave R

Archived