Anyone made use of the F6 painkit?

TheCameronPerson

Hi everyone! 

I was just wondering if anyone wants to share their repaint creations using the F6 paint kit, I haven't seen any repaints for the F6 yet! I've been trying to recreate the red tail and spine livery of XR770 when she wore the colours of the flagship of 5 Squadron.. Perhaps attempting my first FSX repaint with the Lightning wasn't wise :/ I hoped to use the texture of XR725 as a basic template seeing as she and 770 share much the same basic livery apart from colour and squadron etc. but I've only managed to get as far as putting the AA code on the tail before my photoshop skills are expended..

I'm sure everyone would love to see what others have created : ) 

(photo by Ian Black)

Please login to display this image.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/4/2016 at 11:26 PM, TheCameronPerson said:

Hi everyone! 

I was just wondering if anyone wants to share their repaint creations using the F6 paint kit, I haven't seen any repaints for the F6 yet! I've been trying to recreate the red tail and spine livery of XR770 when she wore the colours of the flagship of 5 Squadron.. Perhaps attempting my first FSX repaint with the Lightning wasn't wise :/ I hoped to use the texture of XR725 as a basic template seeing as she and 770 share much the same basic livery apart from colour and squadron etc. but I've only managed to get as far as putting the AA code on the tail before my photoshop skills are expended..

I'm sure everyone would love to see what others have created : ) 

Hi Cameron

We all have to start somewhere , and the Lighning is as good a place as any, best advice I can give it to make sure you use layers... makes adjusting and changing things much easier.

Having said that , I am in painting mode at the moment so it will be easy for me to whip up 770's scheme............... just give me a couple of days.

Cheers

Dave R

Yes please Dave, it would be great to see what you come up with! 

I've taken what you said about using layers onboard and atm I'm experimenting with what I can come up with. I think one of my difficulties atm is seeing the F6 in 2D form and working out my bearings for where things go on the fuselage! 

Also, what would you recomend using for the squadron logos etc. I've tried getting the 5 sqn leaf off of google and putting that into texture but the results aren't that flattering.. 

Hi Cameron

I have bundled the line drawings together so you can copy the one you want and paste it as a layer, and use the ivisibility slider to get your bearings, alternatively use DXTBmp to extract an existing 

complete texture and use that.

As for the 5sqn badge ... use my avatar. , but in general google "X" squadron logo and sift through until you find the best.

baselines.zip

.................still some tweaking to do.....

D

22 hours ago, peter197 said:

If you happen to be in a painting mood could a request or two be put in?

LOL... It can't hurt to ask....and maybe Cameron has found his forte :P

D

8 hours ago, wingman5 said:

LOL... It can't hurt to ask....and maybe Cameron has found his forte :P

D

Wow Dave your repaint for '770 is stunning! Rest assured it's a lot better than my current effort atm haha but as it's said practise makes perfect! I must admit though it is good fun to see your own creation come to life in FSX. How did you do the wings btw, quick select tool and then colour? Thanks for the line drawings too they're really helping!

Here's what I've got so far, after getting to grips with Photoshop again I decided to try and tackle the tail first and the aircraft registration, I'm working on the wings as we speak.. Apart from the obvious issue with the screenshot which I'll try and remedy in a bit I think it's coming along alright but I feel as if the red may need dulling down to a lighter colour and the 5 sqn insignia need moving about to match up to each other's positions. Any ideas and suggestions would be welcome :) 

2016-10-8_0-33-42-557.BMP

With  AA I used the "Shark" textures and  used the colour replaced to colour the fuselage top half the same as the bottom ( it is barely noticable but they are different colours.)

if you get the tolerance just rigt areas around panels and screws will look like wear and tear paint loss.. If you loose any detail copy and paste the respective layers from the paintkit.

All the paint colours have a code , the red for instance is FS 21105 , , so just google that and pick the colour up on your pallet.

for insignia size and placement , I find it easiest to crop that area from a photo and overlay it on the drawing, and expand to fit , you can ignore the perspective anomalies ....

the positioning  and size will still be right .

@ Peter

All metals is pretty simple , just a case of swapping the insignia and numbers

111 f6's were pretty rare... they only had them a few months before disbanding .... I'll see what I can do ;0)

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 9:04 PM, wingman5 said:

FS 21105

Thanks for the paint code, it works a treat! My version of AA is all painted up now and was going really well I thought.. too well. I've run into the problem that despite most of my aircraft looking how I painted it, for some reason parts of my wings are dark gloss black.. I've heard about this problem before and I believed it to be alpha channels but how can that be if the rest of the plane bar the wings is showing correctly? All skins were saved to as a PSD file, I then used Dxtbmp to flip the images and save them as a dds file under DDS DXT5 2048x2048 which matches the way in which all the default Lightning textures were saved as.. I'll include some images of what it looks like but even things like the rear undercarriage doors and red top pylons are gloss black despite be not editing them..

http://

Have you lit_wing02 in the folder you have made for 770 ?.. you will need it as it has the root area of the red paint, and that contains all the textures you are missing .

D 

Found the issue! I'd inadvertently added another underscore to the wing folder so it read "lit_wing_02.dds", renaming it to lit_wing02 seems to have fixed the issue and I can now see all the textures! But it seems my painting needs a revisit seeing as there's only some red visible on the wing

Here's what my painting looked like in photoshop.. What do you reckon has gone wrong? The spec files have identical layouts because I just duplicated the layers so they'd be exact, so I don't think it would because of any difference there..

:0) I guessed  it might have been a spelling or punctuation error.. 

because the camo paterns wrap around the L/E I textured them as a flat plane. so the top and bottom are on the underside texturesheet.

I actually use paintshop pro 9 , but the tools are all pretty similar ,

To delineate an odd shaped area I just use a point to point freehand selector , There is also a magic wand wich will select by colour or hue etc and has an adjustable tolerance , 

using layers also allows you to apply a colour block , make it semi transparent and erase unwanted areas ...

D.. 

Ah i see I'm using Photoshop Elements atm, easy enough to use just got to reteach myself everything:D 

As of tonight I've completed everything apart from my right wing which still has red paint missing in areas.. like you said it's the wrap around on the wing so I'll look at some of the textures for XS904 so I can see what other areas on the wing to paint to make sure the wing is actually coloured as it should be! 

Although I might be popping down to Manston at the weekend to visit '770 to take a look at the fuselage detail (serial numbers, scuffs and scrapes etc.) might as well go all out! 

Dont forget the Manston aircraft has been "cosmetically restored" so she won't have the wear and tear you see in the operational photos.... I wouldnt gaurentee the colours to be right either!

Well I guess my repaint is obsolete now ;) .... but as there doesn't seem to be a category in "Downloads"  for the Lightning.... I'll post it here anyway

Dave

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 3:18 PM, wingman5 said:

Well I guess my repaint is obsolete now ;) 

Oh I wouldn't worry about it being made obsolete just yet! I've just seen yours and downloaded it.. You put me to shame and I don't mind admitting it :D I've finished mine, just tweaking a few imperfections but I'm hooked on repainting now! & I can see what you mean about 770 being cosmetically restored, she's a bit weathered now but there's still quite a lot of gloss on her grey paint, still you gotta do what you gotta do to protect them! Apparently Manston are on the look out for a control column for her so if anyones got one lying around in the shed you know where to send it!

Here's my effort ;)

Few bits to niggle out like the red paint on the wings, only just realised they're not symetrical! and I completely forgot to stencil in Wing Commander Williams' name under the cockpit but that's all sorted now.. I managed to find an airfix decal sheet to help me with the outline of the paint. I really like what you did with the red on your repaint though, I tried to get a more worn dirty look but I just ended up screwing up the tail I still think it looks slightly too bright :blink: still practice makes effort! Thanks for all the tips and advice! Hopefully we'll see some more F6 repaints out there now!

The state of the paintwork is fairly speculative , when the came out of the paintshop they would be imaculate but as time passed they would get grubbier ... until they went for a washdown !

The red paint on 770 was applied a long time after the grey and then in stages over a period of time , fin first then the spine and finally the leading edges , and apart from the port wing where you step from the ladder to the wing they are not areas that get particularly dirty or scratched..

Any reference photo is literally a snapshot in time , so nothing is definitively right or wrong.

I have rendered the tank with the front in metal finish but the gundoors and center and rear tank in grey But I have a photo where the rear tank is has been swapped with one thats silver pain and camo fins...... operational necessities meant they sometimes flew looking like patchwork quilts :0)

Have a play with the diffuse alpha channel ( although for paintwork pure white is probably best)  , and the specular colour,and spec alpha. I'm still learning, so my solutions might not be the best..

PS the wing walkway lines should only be 1/4" wide and they were overpainted in the areas where the red was applied.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Wingman5...  Whilst this may go against the grain seeing as you a 5 fan ( :D ) but would you consider the black 11 Sqn counter part to match this superb 5 Sqn paint? 

Thank you for your Lightning paints they are much needed :)

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 0:58 AM, wingman5 said:

PS the wing walkway lines should only be 1/4" wide and they were overpainted in the areas where the red was applied.

Thanks for the tip Dave, I've been away for a few days but I've got back into it and gone over some of the skins on 770 and I think I'm happy with it now..

At the moment I'm trying my hand at an F3 repaint to get some experience with a "shiny" :D I'm going for a fictitious F3 paint based on the two sided livery that Lightning T5 XS458 currently wears at her home in Cranfield.

Wish me luck!

On 10/20/2016 at 0:28 PM, Ecthaelion said:

Hi Wingman5...  Whilst this may go against the grain seeing as you a 5 fan ( :D ) but would you consider the black 11 Sqn counter part to match this superb 5 Sqn paint? 

Thank you for your Lightning paints they are much needed :)

What!... me biased towards 5 sqn rarther than that  shower up the other end of the pan!..... what ever gave you that idea ? :o......I suppose in the interests of harmony it could be a possibility.

D

edit................ erm just looked at the existing schemes, doesn't XR725 fullfil the requirement ? :unsure:

Archived