Seahawk/ Jayhawk

WAD3

Besides the obvious differences what exactly is different between the Seahawk and the Coast Guard packages. I think I am more interested in the Coast Guard version but if the Seahawk package has both I will the go for that.

If anyone could just give me a quick summary I would really appreciate it.

Thank you

Andrew

At the simplest level, the Jayhawk in the Coast Guard package is an updated version of the one in the Seahawk package with more role-specific detailing. The CG package only has the Jayhawk, the SH package has SH-60s (and S-70Bs) as well in a variety of liveries.

The Seahawk package comes with a few static LHA "Harrier Carriers" placed around the world, the Coast Guard package comes with a sailable version of the Cutter and a tool to place static cutters at any point in the world that you want. Getting rid of them again is a tad tricker, but possible! ;)

That's a very basic level, but hopefully it will help?

Ian P.

Calling a Boxer a "harrier Carrier" is somehow imprecise and undervaluing.

The USS Boxer is an fully equipped Attack Ship capable of creating and ending a whole war.

It carries SH-60 Seahawks and other variants of the Marine version as well as Sea Stallions, SuperCobras, etc. It also can operate the Sea Harrier, although it's not entirely its main role.

Then again the Sea Harrier isn't exactly a "runway" eater.

Read the manual to found out more about it.

Or Read here about the USS Boxer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Boxer_%28LHD-4%29

Do not mix it with those Brit and American Marine Carriers built for the Harrier Jump Jet. Like this one here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Illustrious_%28R06%29

For the Coast Guard Package... no one remembers the ship wreck placing tool for SAR missions... :(

Oi. We won an entire war curtosey of two "Harrier Carriers". Never underestimate what they are capable of. Even when they weren't limited by fuel limits (the Argentine Air Force did operate Daggers from the Falkland Island themselves at the start of the conflict, until the SAS raid on Pebble Island), the supersonic Mirage derivatives were totally outflown by the supposedly dramatically inferior STOVL jets. You can't entirely put it down to superior pilot training, either, it was a serious wake up call for a lot of people who didn't believe the Harrier was a seriously capable aircraft.

The Tarawas and all the follow up USMC assault ships were developed primarily to do the jobs that HMS Invincible, HMS Fearless, HMS Intrepid and HMS Hermes did in the South Atlantic (although the original US vessels were developed prior to the 1982 conflict). Basically, they're capable of fighting a small scale conflict or, for example, carrying out an evacuation entirely on their own, with very little external support. Devaluing or diminishing them? No. But inside FS, they have no Marine Landing capability whatsoever so all they can do is operate helicopters and Harriers. Calling them "Helicopter Carriers" seriously would dimish their capabilities even inside the sim. Incidentally, both the USMC and UK Armed Forces cross train Harrier pilots to operate from any vessel capable of taking them, so if the deck can take the downblast, a Harrier can and will fly from it!

Anyway, that's all off topic. The fact is that the Seahawk package contains the Boxer and the Coast Guard package contains the Bertholf (sp?). Take your pick! :)

Ian P.