Annual poll on platform

Aerosoft Team [Inactive Account]

What is your standard simulator  

1727 members have voted

1. 1. What is the flight simulator you mainly use (multiple answers possible)

• FSX:SP2
    • FSX:STEAM
    • FS2004
    • P3D V2
    • P3D V3
    • X-Plane 9
    • X-Plane 10
  2. 2. Do you think you will be switching platforms in the next 6 months?

• Yes, to FSX
    • Yes, to P3D V3
    • Yes, to X-Plane 10
    • Yes to another Flight Simulator
    • Nope, happy as a clam with my current platform.
    • Yes to X-Plane 11

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today I mostly fly in XP 10. I made the move from P3D V2.5 (can't really remember ) about two years ago. 

I didn't go for P3D V3 since I was already flying XP when it was released and I didn't see the big improvement over V2. 

For my main purpose  (bushflying) XP serves me well. I, however, miss the Return to Misty Moorings stuff. 

Looking forward to fly in XP11 soon and think to buy a copy of Aerofly2 (if only to support the developer).

I see XP10 as simply the best sim platform out there bar none. It takes Ortho4XP and W2XP (free) and SkyMaxx Pro (paid) to make it so, your choice of aircraft and airport scenery after that is up to you but with all these in place for ridiculously little money, the ultimate sim experience on PC today reveals itself. I've been through them all on the way here. I'm looking forward to XP11 though as usual the initial release will serve only as a springboard to better things along the development cycle. I'll doubtless be happy with it when it comes. I'm glad Aerosoft are involved with the franchise and hope this involvement grows.

17 minutes ago, hoie said: Happy with P3D v. 3. And FlyInside/Oculus Rift [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You know P3D V3.4 has native Rift support right?

Yes, tried that. But FlyInside is still more advanced as far as I can see, with higher frame rate (asynchronous something), key bindings for zoom, mouse pointer ++, and support for LeapMotion. Really looking forward to seeing VR evolve in flightsim!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Being on XPlANe 10 for about 9 months hardly touched FSX since moving, wont remove FSX have spent far too much money on it and have some really good planes, but XPLANe just seems to be more "real" to me, especially since now i cant deploy flaps to early there is a consequeence. Waitng to 11 to come along

Using FSX SP2 as my primary flight sim for now.  I do have FSX Steam version, I do mess with it, but I still don't use it anywhere near enough to consider it a "primary".

As for switching in the next 6 months....

Realistically, I doubt i'll be switching to another sim in the next 6 months.  I am eager to see what the new Dovetail Flight Simulator will do though, and I do plan to purchase it when it debuts.  However, realistically, even if it comes out by the end of the year, I don't see myself switching to it as a "primary" within the couple of months following.  Within a YEAR, however, that story may change, depending on how quickly add-ons become available.

Right now I'm mostly using X-Plane 10 and I think I will jump to X-Plane 11 as soon as it hits!

Dear Aerosoft,

what about more X-Plane products from you guys (some In-House stuff, airplanes)?

Please!

After three/almost four days of the poll, I am really surprised how far ahead P3DV3 is.  At the same time, I am shocked how poorly FSX-SE is represented.  Of course, part of the reason P3D maybe represented so well here at this forum could be due to Aerosoft's Cross Compatible licensing.  If there is no risk of loosing your considerable investment in addons, there is no risk/more incentive to try a new simulator platform.     

Thinking of P3D, concerned about cost and constant version changes.   Tried Dx10 in FSX, but could not solve stack hash error as that started.  Going back to Dx9 solved the issues.

Joe

vor 4 Stunden , CheapCharlie sagte:

After three/almost four days of the poll, I am really surprised how far ahead P3DV3 is.       

I am not at all suprised. When Prepar3d2 appeared at the end of 2013, I predicted the tie with FSX within two years at simFlight as well as the Aerosoft forum. A search might find the posts. I got quite a number of hateful replies at that time, however, aside the switch from Prepar3d2 to Prepar3d I think I was not too far off.

Kind regards, Michael

I have FSX Acceleration still on my hard disk to test things out. Compared to P3D V3, the graphics and performance is so inferior that I am happy to quit the software as quick as possible. Would never use it again for a normal flight. I am happy that LM P3D made such a good way starting from the ancient FSX. This is with 4790 OC and 980TI.

59 minutes ago, pmb said:

I am not at all suprised. When Prepar3d2 appeared at the end of 2013, I predicted the tie with FSX within two years at simFlight as well as the Aerosoft forum. A search might find the posts. I got quite a number of hateful replies at that time, however, aside the switch from Prepar3d2 to Prepar3d I think I was not too far off.

Kind regards, Michael

Michael:

Using your educated opinion, do you see P3D replacing FSX in its entirety, at least on the commercial level?  

vor 21 Minuten, CheapCharlie sagte:

Michael:

Using your educated opinion, do you see P3D replacing FSX in its entirety, at least on the commercial level?  

I wouldn't call myself educated at all. I just was right in this case as I saw the potential for Prepard3 early on. Plus keep in mind, Dovetail announced another FSX replacement simulator which strangely - contrary to XP11 - has not been included into the "switching" survey.

However, to not sneak out of an answer: Yes, I do foresee FSX to be in the role of FS9 today within a few years. Even if Dovetail's offer will fail (as their FlightSchool did) Prepar3d will certainly go 64 bit in the foreseeable future removing the last big stumbling block (limited VAS) for its success.

Kind regards, Michael

Archived