Visual C++ Redistributable Packages

Tobi.E.

Hi Friends,

unfortunately I´m not an IT-expert. However, before installing P3D plus my Aerosoft Add-On´s on my new Computer, I have some questions to avoid problems later. Dave gave an excellent 4-step guide for the proper Installation of the Bus on August 13 in the topic "If you have problems with the Airbus... Do This! ". Under Point 2 he mentions the Installation of the Microsoft Visual C++ redistributables 2005. 2008, 2010, 2012 and 2013. However, when hitting the link i find several sub-Points ,for example under "Visual Studio 2010 (VC++ 10.0) SP1". The second sub-Point speaks of a MFC-security update, but the file names are vcredist_x86.exe and vcredist_x64.exe. Are These the required packages to install? And if yes, do i Need to install the "Visual Studio 2010 Service Pack 1 (Installer)" in the first sub-Point before? The reason why i´m asking is because the Knowledge Base article in the first case mentions this Service pack as a pre-requisite for the Installation of the files.

I know These are probably stupid questions for which the answer is easier than anything else. I just want to perform a proper Installation of everything to enjoy your excellent addons without coming back all the time with new Problems because i did not properly follow the instructions. I hope you understand and i really appreciate any help. Thanks in advance :-),

Tobi

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hello Tobi,

you only need to use the first links given in that article for every package. So the precise list will be:

Download and install both packages (32bit = nnn_x86.msi, 64bit = nnn_x64.msi). 

If you have already some of the packages installed it is recommended to uninstall them and replace them by the freshly downloaded versions from the Microsoft website.

This is actually a lot of work, and it is not necessary on all systems. That's why it is only recommended to do in case you run into problems. Experience showed, that this fixed actually quite a lot of reported problems of users.

Of course you can always play safe and install/update all these packages prior to installing the Airbus.

Hi Tom,

thanks a lot for your time to help me. But i am a little confused, because there are only a 32 bit and 64 bit file available in the links you gave me for Visual Studios 2012, 2013 and 2015. Hitting the links for Visual Studios 2010, 2008 and 2005 leads me to a page, where i can only select one file for download that does not look like to be one of the packages (32- or 64bit) to me. Are you sure, these are the right links? Should it not be exactly the other link for the VIsual Studios 2010, 2008 and 2005)? Thanks a lot in advance for your time and help,

cheers,

Tobi

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi Tobi,

don't worry. Older versions of the Visual Studio only came in a 32bit version, so that's why there is only one download available.

Hi Tom, 

yes but this is excatly where i am running in to understanding troubles, because when i hit the link given by Dave in his excellent 4-step analysis and -for example- go to Visual Studios 2005 (VC++ 8.0) SP1 and follow the third link Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package MFC Security Update, I see - under Details- that there are two files named vcredist_x86.exe and vcredist_x64.exe. The same goes for the respective links in VIsual Studios 2008 and 2010. This is why I am confused. Hope you understand, ..

Cheers,

Tobi

• Deputy Sheriffs

Tobi,

as I wrote in my first answer, you only need to follow the first link given per VC++ redist version.

The links above are just copied from the kb article Dave had linked in his post.

Ok Tom, i will give it a try, although i still do not understand why for example the file under Visual Studios 2005 is named Team Suite (sounding like a completely different piece of software) in contrast to those under -for example- VIsual studios 2015 (named VC++ redistributables). Also the file sizes in this specific case are significantly different (>400 Mbs for this Team Suite thing agains <10mb for the vcredist_....exe in Visual Studios 2015.

Thanks again for your help, i can report later when everything is working! :-).

Cheers,

Tobi

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi Tobi,

it is obviously too warm in my office. I checked again, and of course you were right. It is not always the first link given in the ms kb article. It is the link with "redistributable" in it's name per VC++ version.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2977003

Archived