Framerate collapse

beTThie

Hy Community,

i have a real problem and haven't found a solution yet.

After some flight time i get a serious performance collape and the framerate breaks down to 5fps.

Im running the latest X-Plane with X737 v5, x737FMC, XACARS, XSquawkBox, EZPushback and DataRefEditor, but i dont think the plugins cause ist since i have treid a new clean install and in vanilla i get these framerate drops even with lowest graphic settings.

My PC:

Intel i7 4770K

Geforce GTX970

DDR3-1600 20GB

Win10 Pro

The log of my last flight is in attachement.

Maybe somebody see the problem.

Thanks

Log.txt

CPU / GPU heat problems can cause just this sort of problem.  I'd suggest you take a look at all the heat sensors for your motherboard, CPU and GPU. If you need software to do this, I recommend a free program, in fact I'll recommend two of them:

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

After you see what your temps are, Google to find the normal heat range for your CPU and GPU.

Best wishes.

• 3 weeks later...

A lot of simmers have that problem. In my case when I am flying sometimes frames drops to 2 - 3 FPS and usually in a few minutes I can continue flying without problem. It is not a GPU problem, I am almost sure it is a X-Plane bug since 10.25.

This is a known issue with WIndows 10 Aniversary update, where the OpenGL drivers have suffered performance issues - Remove KB3176938 and you should see an improvement.

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/107128-answered-performance-issues-on-windows-10-with-updates-kb3176936-and-kb3176938/

vor 2 Stunden , STALKER sagte:

I am Mac user and I have that problem...

So what have you tried so far to identify the cause of this problem? Since 10.25 it's a very long time.

What are your system specificiations? What are your rendering settings? What does your log.txt say?

Hi Mario

I mail several times to Laminar Research but answer was almost always same... set Rendering Options lower. They are very kind and they always send an e-mail back, but I think they have not investigated about this problem, and I am not the only user with this problem (and there are more people in the net with this problem).

So what have I tried? almost all, disable plugins, disable sceneries, lower my Rendering Options, fly other aircrafts... no result, therefore I said I think it is a bug.

My iMac specs:

- iMac (27-inch, Late 2013) 
- Display 27-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology; 2560-by-1440 resolution with support for millions of colors 
- Processor 3.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz) 
- Memory 8GB (two 4GB) of 1600MHz DDR3 memory; four user-accessible SO-DIMM slots 
- Storage 3TB Fusion Drive 
- Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M with 4GB of GDDR5 memory

And the problem, for example... I am flying  from LFBO to LFPG with a high frames rate 40 - 60 and suddenly, not always in the same place, frames drops to 2 - 5. I wait some minutes and then I can continue flying without problem. This problem can occur again in the same flight or not, and it occurs more frequently with airliners.

My Rendering Options

Please login to display this image.

vor 22 Stunden , STALKER sagte:

This problem can occur again in the same flight or not, and it occurs more frequently with airliners.

My Rendering Options

Are these your already-lowered rendering options?

Your weak point is the RAM. You only have 8 GB, but are using "extended DSF". This means that 12 complete scenery tiles (4x3) have to fit into your RAM. Whenever you are nearing the border of a tile, the next tiles will be loaded. This loading can take some minutes, depending on your HDD speed, your RAM and if you use HD Mesh or default mesh. This can show as noticable FPS drop. And this is just the mesh. If you have additional heavy scenery, such as World2X-Plane, on these tiles, this gets loaded, too.

Once the tiles are loaded, FPS return back to normal. This fits also to your observation that it happens more than flying airliners -- they are flying much higher and fast, so new tiles are loaded more often.

Hi again Mario, thanks for your answer.

Yes these are my already lowered Rendering Options, if I need low them more... maybe I need a computer from the NASA and not my almost $3.000 iMac...

The Extended DSF Scenery is available only in the lasts X-Plane versions and I had this problem since 10.25 (I THINK), but anyway I will uncheck the box and I will try it again, thank you very much for your help.

About the RAM... do you think I will can get a better performance if I change my 8GB for 16GB?

Thank you again.

vor 8 Stunden , STALKER sagte:

The Extended DSF Scenery is available only in the lasts X-Plane versions and I had this problem since 10.25 (I THINK), but anyway I will uncheck the box and I will try it again, thank you very much for your help.

About the RAM... do you think I will can get a better performance if I change my 8GB for 16GB?

Do you use HD Mesh? Do you use World-2-X-Plane or OSM scenery? High-Resolution photo scenery? All that stuff needs LOTs of RAM, even with un-checked extended DSF. Although the official system requirements say that 4 GB are the minimum, practical experience tells me that 8 GB is the minimum if one wants to run X-Plane with the typical addons (and who would want to run it without addons?) So yes, you should at least have 16 GB, to avoid swapping. Some people also have installed a SSD for X-Plane, because a SSD is much faster than a HDD.

Since X-Plane is not the only software running on your Mac, also make sure that no background activities disturb. Exclude the X-Plane folder from Time Machine (or similiar) and anti-virus scans (if there are any). Make sure that Time Machine (or similar hard-drive intense tasks) do not run when you use X-Plane.

Hi Mario.

I was using HD Mesh and high resolution photo scenery, but now I am not using them because my frames problem (I use only World2xplane). Anyway I will upgrade to 16 or 32 GB and I will think about buy a SSD to install X-Plane.

When I fly X-Plane I don't use any other software.

When I uncheck the Extended DSF Scenery I will say if it works.

One more time thank you very much.

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried your advices and framerate become down again but... this time just a few seconds (4 - 5) and only one time in the whole flight, so really it was not a big problem and I could continue flying. Anyway it was just a flight, I will continue testing it.

Thank you very much Mario

Archived