Trying to catch up (Flightsim)

pdmm

Hi everyone

I've been away from flightsim a few years now and a lot seems to have changed. So much has changed in fact that I don't even know where to start looking.

What I am trying to find out is: How can I pick up my flightsim hobby again and what sim would be the best to use.

I came from FS9 and finally got a computer that's able to run FSX properly. However, as I run Windows 8.1 I have a lot of CTD trouble and annoyances trying to run the sim stable. 

So I guess my questions are: Should I upgrade to Prepar3d or FSX SE? Which will give me a better experience? Which sim is more stable? Where do things go in the future in terms of 3rd party development?

Preferably I would like to hook up IVAO and play my FS online as well, as it really adds to the experience.

What would you guys suggest I do? 

Thanks in advance!

Best,

Daniel

I've never used Windows 8.1 so I can't vouch for any issues you may or may not have, but if you're just getting back into simming with a "fresh start" as it were, I'd opt for P3D over FSX. Yes, it's more expensive, but it's optimised a lot better to run with today's hardware. It makes better use of your video card. FSX is "old school" software and depends largely on CPU performance. 

Just now, nealmac said:

I've never used Windows 8.1 so I can't vouch for any issues you may or may not have, but if you're just getting back into simming with a "fresh start" as it were, I'd opt for P3D over FSX. Yes, it's more expensive, but it's optimised a lot better to run with today's hardware. It makes better use of your video card. FSX is "old school" software and depends largely on CPU performance. 

Thanks Neal. Prepar3d seems to be a good choice. I don't mind the extra cost, if it means that the sim will run stable. I am sick and tired of CTD's, which is why I gave it up years ago. 

I'm not saying you won't experience CTDs. P3D is currently still only 32bit, although there are rumours that version 4 will be 64bit, but that could be another year away. If you went down the FSX road, and bought a load of expensive addons, and later switched to P3D, there would be certain addons you would have to buy again, like all PMDG software.

Archived