Release: Aerosoft AspenX

• Aerosoft

Well, I wouldn't bet my house on that....

I for one will not update to FSX, regardless of how smooth and nice it runs on my system.

I simply have invested too much money in FS2004 ($1500+) to make a transition to FSX feasable. I don't want to spend this money all over again.

FS2004 is the first FS version with really good panels and scenery, unlike FS2002, so I don't think you can compare those.

But then again, this is my opinion.

And a valid opinion of course. But it means that all progress will be lost on you and believe me, there is a lot of progress being done behind the screens. We have not even begun to tap into the potential of FSX, mostly because current hardware is a limiting factor. But FSX will be capable of doubling the density of scenery and aircraft details in 2008 when we got hardware that is 50% more powerful and the GPU can handle more of the graphics over the DX10 path.

As many people here have written, its really hard to keep on using FS2004 when you get accustomed to the better graphics of FSX.

We have not even begun to tap into the potential of FSX, mostly because current hardware is a limiting factor. But FSX will be capable of doubling the density of scenery and aircraft details in 2008 when we got hardware that is 50% more powerful and the GPU can handle more of the graphics over the DX10 path.

... indeed, even the most basic features, like the option to eventually get incredibly high ground texture resolution, open possibilities that makes on drool! Some company is already working on scenery with 30cm (!!!) res ...

ASPEN is pretty good. Better than I expected. It merges well with Ultimate Terrain. At night/Dawn/Dusk, the scenery merges so well, very difficult to tell where the add on begins and ends.

Only wish there was more static aircrafts and some things moving around the airport. Hopefully there would be freeware static aircrafts or something.

I cannot increase the Ultimate Traffic. Along with U.Terrain, I get 10-13FPS and with Bloom on I get 7FPS. (I love bloom during dawn/dusk/night)

Manny

quote from developer:

"And your comment that FSX is ony used by a small section of the users is just not confirmed by our sales and by the customers that we meet. Demand for FSX products is far far greater then for FS2004."

And that was some 2 months ago, even before the release of SP1 which increased performance immensly ...

And about eye candy vs simulator : There is a "pure simulator" product: "X-Plane" ... but how many copies does it sell compared with MS FS? The vast majority of customers just wants pretty stuff ... you don't sell a boxed version of accurate air dynamics ... pretty landscape, clouds ... shining planes ... realistic looking airports ...

And most of all, EVERYTHING you said could have been written when FS9 came out ... and FS2002 sort of died off soon afterwards ...

Two months after the release of FSX all the internet forums were full of people complaining and claiming "never to run FSX" ... today we're down to a handful ... I agree with the others who say, that the FS9 market will be quite dead very soon ...

Shelftime is the word ... you might still sell a few copies of FS9 addons today, sure, but not in year or perhaps not even Christmas.

//EDITED quote.

You are certainly allowed to "read the tea leaves" in any way you wish. I can only discuss what I know. 90% of the over 100 simmers I know are sticking with and/or are unhappy with FSX for one or more of the following: the system requirements, loss of 2D, poor performance versus "eye-candy" and the need to "start all over again". That's just to name the major ones. Purchases of FSX are not a real indicator of satisfaction with FSX, or it's regular use?

As far as selling FS9 addons in a year...I won't need any!! After the release of the AirlinerXP Airbus 320 just about any of my payware needs will be met and I will survive for years. That's not to say that I won't look at FS9 addons, from those who offer them, if they are available...but between what I already have and the great prices I will pay for FS9 addons (at bargain basement prices!) I don't yet have...I'm going to be flying FS9 for years to come.

Whatever your tea leaves indicate, I truly believe you are going to miss a large portion of the FS market by only making FSX addons. Will it be enough to cause you any pain? Probably not and I don't wish that on you in any way. Unfortunately for me, I will no longer have the option of buying your great products as I have in the past. That is, of course, a personal decision.

Good luck and I'll see you "up there" :wink:

Vic

• Aerosoft
ASPEN is pretty good. Better than I expected. It merges well with Ultimate Terrain. At night/Dawn/Dusk, the scenery merges so well, very difficult to tell where the add on begins and ends.

Only wish there was more static aircrafts and some things moving around the airport. Hopefully there would be freeware static aircrafts or something.

I cannot increase the Ultimate Traffic. Along with U.Terrain, I get 10-13FPS and with Bloom on I get 7FPS. (I love bloom during dawn/dusk/night)

Manny

I agree, as the real airport has little traffic AI doesn't do a lot here. I'll see if we can come up with an additional scenery to make it look a bit better.

And I also agree on bloom. According to what I know it is first of all HIGLY depending on the GPU (seems to costs less fps on a Nvidia compared to ATI) but all graphics cards have problems with it. Microsoft told us this is a feature that will only get useful when DX10 allows the graphics cards to handle it without any CPU involvement. For now it looks GREAT, but is very costly.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Request for mathjis and the developer of Aspen KASE scenery.

Would it be possible to provide for a custom runway texture for this airport instead of the default runway texture that we currently have? Even if I am going to lose the wet runway effect.

FlyTampa gave us a choice at time of install for their St. Juliana for FSX. Would like something that like that.

Thanks

MAnny

• Aerosoft
Request for mathjis and the developer of Aspen KASE scenery.

Would it be possible to provide for a custom runway texture for this airport instead of the default runway texture that we currently have? Even if I am going to lose the wet runway effect.

FlyTampa gave us a choice at time of install for their St. Juliana for FSX. Would like something that like that.

Thanks

MAnny

I will keep that in mind for a possible update.

• 3 weeks later...

Does it look like we might be getting close to a release date on Aspen KASE ?

The scenery looks really good in the screen shots and I want to get some good airports for my FSX.

Right now I run FS9 and FSX like one is an extension of the other. I spend more time in FS9, but with the new Seahawk/Jayhawk I will be cranking up FSX a lot more.

I am anxious to see PMDG's Boeing 747 for FSX come out, but like the other big commercial airliners in the oven, that may be a while. When it comes out I will definately get it together with Chris Palmer's "Angle of Attack". That will be quite a combo. I'm looking forward to it.

Does it look like we might be getting close to a release date on Aspen KASE ?

The scenery looks really good in the screen shots and I want to get some good airports for my FSX.

Right now I run FS9 and FSX like one is an extension of the other. I spend more time in FS9, but with the new Seahawk/Jayhawk I will be cranking up FSX a lot more.

I am anxious to see PMDG's Boeing 747 for FSX come out, but like the other big commercial airliners in the oven, that may be a while. When it comes out I will definately get it together with Chris Palmer's "Angle of Attack". That will be quite a combo. I'm looking forward to it.

What time warp have you been stuck in? Check the first page of this thread. Aspen has been out since April. :roll:

I got it and it is loaded. I will be flying there tonight. Got to go get my plane tickets :D

Thanks again for the help.

No problem. I'm sorry that you had to wait so long because of a website oversight. :wink:

Mathjis, can you guys fix the USA purchase link for Aspen. You're losing sales on that portal. 8)