The difference between a Review and a Comment

The difference between a Review and a Comment .

A review is defined as :  To examine with an eye to criticism or correction , in this case the " reviewers " opinion regarding the quality of the repaint in question .

A comment is defined as :  A statement of fact or opinion, especially a remark that expresses a personal reaction or attitude .

Much as I ( and all other painters ) enjoy receiving 5 star reviews for our work , feedback is just as important . If there are " difficulties " when installing a livery the Tweaking / Repaint section of the forum should be the first place to visit . If a solution cannot be found there posting in the forum should be the second course of action or contacting the painter by PM . I myself have written a topic in the Tweaking section ( link below ) that addresses some of the more common problems that can be encountered when installing a livery for the AirbusX / AirbusX Extended / A320/A321 . Aerosoft apparently found it " important " enough to make it a " Pinned " topic , so that it does not disappear from the first page and is always to be found at the top of the first page .Another pinned topic is titled " Asking for help ? points to consider " .
Recently found a " 1 star review " for one of my liveries as follows , " does not work, have tried both ways to install and it does not show up in game " . There is absolutely no information included in this " review " and this makes it virtually impossible to offer any help whatsoever . That 500+ others have downloaded this same livery and not placed a Review / Comment , either means that they had no problem with the installation or did but did not bother to make this known . I contacted the reviewer , gave links to the pinned topics mentioned but have til now not received a reply if he was successful or not .

At the risk of repeating myself here are the basic items that should be included when asking for help when installing a livery :

1 . Operating system , Windows XP , Vista , W7 , W8 , W8.1 or W10 .
2 . Flight simulator , FSX , FSX-SE , P3D V1/V2/V3 .
3 . Where the flight sim is installed i.e. in or outside of Program Files . For every person who has no difficulties with their FS installed in Program Files , there are many more who do .
4 . Was everything installed using " Run as Administrator " ? Being the only user on the PC is not the same !
5 . Which version of the Airbus is installed ? Are all updates installed ?
    AirbusX   ( released 2010 ) last update V1.22
    AirbusX Extended  ( 2012 ) last update v1.16
    Airbus A320/A321 ( 2014 ) last update V1.31  -  With the latest version using XP as an operating system is no longer supported .

When running the Livery Manager ( LM ) is this Run as Administrator ? To achieve this , right click on the .exe , choose Properties then Compatability and finally Run as Administrator .

If installing using the LM is unsuccessful , installing by hand is guaranteed to work by unzipping the download and placing the texture into the correct aircraft folder by type followed by engine type . The text is to be copied into the aircraft,cfg making sure that the line [fltsim.??] where ?? is altered to the next ( consecutive ) number .

With your flightsim installed in Program Files ( and UAC active ) will also mean first having to copy your aircraft.cfg to your desktop , adding the [fltsim.??] entry and then copying back to your flight sim if you are at first unable to .

If the installed livery is not showing in the sim , is the box marked " show all variations " ticked ? Happens more than you think . Secondly check the aircraft.cfg that all [fltsim.??] entries are consecutive , i.e. no numbers are missing or duplicated and that there is a one line gap between entries , not forgetting that the first entry starts with [fltsim.0] . If liveries are installed / uninstalled often it can also occur that the gap between entries is larger than one line , this also has to be altered .

Sharklet models were introduced with the AirbusX Extended , so with the AirbusX will only show with wingtip fences . Also , if installing an A320 CFM with sharklets the textures themselves will also have to be renamed .

There is a minor difference with the aircraft.cfg with regards to the Extended and latest version .

Extended : There are 9 folders with the sharklet equipped versions in seperate folders .

sim=A320S                    sim=A321S ( sharklet )        sim=A320                    sim=A321 ( non sharklet )
model=                          model=                                 model=                          model=

Latest version : There are 5 folders with the sharklet equipped versions and standard together in one single folder ( per type ) .

sim=A320                      sim=A321                  ( sharklet )         sim=A320                      sim=A321 ( non sharklet )
model= SHARKLET       model= SHARKLET                            
model=                          model=

As a painter any repaints that I have uploaded since the release of the latest version , are made for that version and should install without any difficulties at all ( mistakes on my part DO happen , nobody is perfect , or claims to be ) . Making liveries for each version is just not feasible , especially as I no longer have them installed .

ALL liveries work in ALL versions , this cannot be stressed enough , with each successive release of the Airbus , I simply copied the my liveries into the new version , made changes to the aircraft.cfg ( where needed - see above ) and that was all it took .

Installing these paints in the different versions just requires you , the downloader to follow a few ( simple ) instructions outlined in the pinned topics .

• Emi pinned this topic
  • 4 months later...

Thanks for the 1 star review :

The textures have absolutely NOTHING to do with the workings of the MCDU . If that was the case ALL of my repaints would have the same result when installing in whatever version of the A320 since 2010 as I have always done the same when uploading , to put it in simple terms , they are TEXTURES and as such have no influence on the inner workings of the Airbus . With 1094 downloads , no other person has mentioned a non-working MCDU , so where could the problem lie ?

Instead it might have been better to have read some of the pinned topics here in the tweaking section . You supplied no information as to which model of the A320 you are using , which sim , how you installed it or any other relevant information .

This just proves the point I made in another thread that ( apparantly ) no-one reads any of the pinned topics and that they are , in fact a waste of server space .

Noah Giuliano 1

Tuesday at 12:18 AM · Report

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
   0 of 1 member found this review helpful

THE MCDU DOESN'T WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you find this review helpful?    

If this is the right way to write a " review " , then what is the point ? First of all that the MCDU doesn't work ( doesn't even mention which MCDU ) has absolutely nothing to do with the repaint . Secondly there is no information included as to which version of the Bus , which flight sim , how it was installed makes it virtually impossible to offer any help whatsoever ( if so inclined ) . I also sent a PM to this individual but he has chosen not to reply either via PM or here in the forum . The fact that more than 1000 others have downloaded this repaint without mentioning any problems , either means they had a problem but negleted to mention it , or had no problem but decided not to place a review or comment . Having spent several hours / days / weeks making this repaint ( not forgetting all the others too ) , this is hardly a " thumbs up " for the time and effort that goes into fullfilling someone's " paint wish " . Also take into account that neither " reviewer " even bothered to reply to my PM for more information . Others seeing the 1 star " review " will probably think twice before downloading when in fact there is nothing " wrong " with the repaint itself . As the uploader I have no means of redress and am unable to change or remove this type of " review " .

With that I can only say that I won't be uploading any more Airbus paints here , so any new Airbus paints ( if any ) won't be liable to rubbish " reviews " .

Some time ago DetCord opened a topic concerning feedback from forum members when downloading repaints as this is the only way for the painters to know the value of their work , the result was poor , few reactions and nothing has changed leading to the conclusion that no-one cares , one way or the other . The same applies to this thread , although read , no reactions .

I have no problem with a 1 star review regarding the " quality " of the paintwork but when it is given because of a " mistake " made by the downloader ( first post ) or that the aircraft doesn't work properly ( second post ) then I fail to see the point of the " review " function at all .  Both posts should have been placed in the comments section or via PM .

Surely the first line of action for anyone having " difficulties " with a repaint is to contact the painter by PM , failing that , actually reading the pinned threads in the painters forum ( they are pinned for a reason ) though it seems that not everyone takes the time to do so .

As I don't want to " break " anyone else's flight sim with broken repaints I have no choice but to remove this repaint and any others that cause problems , when I have the time ( this weekend ) will check for any other " problem paints " , followed by their removal .

Never mind it works when I first start the plane but when I exit out of it and start it up again the engine type is unknown and it doesn't work. I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused. Please don't remove it.

Again , that the MCDU is not working correctly for you , has absolutely nothing to do with the repaint itself .

You merely stated that it did not work , which one - left or right , nor did you ask for any help in getting it to work . There are several other posts here in the Tweaking Section , two of them written by me regarding asking for help and installing Airbus repaints in all versions of the Airbus . I cannot force anyone to read those topics but failing to do so just means that your " problem " stays your problem .

The reviews are intended to be used as feedback for the paintwork itself ( and to inform other users ) and to do with the quality of that paintwork , nothing else . Problems with non-working systems should be placed in the relevant forum section where the mods and other forum members are ( normally ) more than willing to help .

On 12/5/2016 at 4:36 PM, John Glanville said:

Again , that the MCDU is not working correctly for you , has absolutely nothing to do with the repaint itself .

You merely stated that it did not work , which one - left or right , nor did you ask for any help in getting it to work . There are several other posts here in the Tweaking Section , two of them written by me regarding asking for help and installing Airbus repaints in all versions of the Airbus . I cannot force anyone to read those topics but failing to do so just means that your " problem " stays your problem .

The reviews are intended to be used as feedback for the paintwork itself ( and to inform other users ) and to do with the quality of that paintwork , nothing else . Problems with non-working systems should be placed in the relevant forum section where the mods and other forum members are ( normally ) more than willing to help .

HA! Same with this rocket scientist (see review section). Textures have nothing to do with the issues he or anyone else is having, period. That said, I do love the 1 Star reviews concerning issues that aren't even related to the livery. 

Either:

• A.) They never updated it.
  • B.) They screwed something up with the addon themselves.
  • C.) They never updated it because they pirated it and they can't.

Taken today.

Please login to display this image.

Please login to display this image.

3 minutes ago, bhwild18 said:

I apologize for the 1 star ok; I give it 5 stars but i didn't know how else to report the issue i was having. Pardon my ignorance and don't take offense. 

You can leave a comment without actually reviewing it. That said, if you're having issues sim wise it would be best to post a topic on the forums and seek help.

Bryan ,

You've said , I've said it , others probaly have said it too , but we painters need feedback when uploading paints , without it we might just as well not bother or only paint where we do get the recognition ( that we deserve ) .

Seeing these " 1 Star " reviews that have absolutely nothing to do with the quality / accuracy of the paintwork ( the reason for giving a review ) doesn't do much in the way of motivation when considering ( yet ) another Airbus paint . The downside to this type of 1 Star review is that others may consider not to download the paint as it would seem that it would be of a low quality as opposed to the many hours spent creating someones " favourite " airline . For myself I spend quite a lot of time doing research before starting a paint , looking for the company logo , the correct font ( failing that , drawing my own ) , keeping the livery in proportion to the model and a myriad of other ( for some ) minor details . So when I see a 1 Star review for a paint that I've uploaded for a non paint issue , saying I'm " disappointed " is being polite . Getting a " bad " review that refers to the paint itself is not a problem , I am human and do make mistakes , and I'm sure that other painters will say the same .

With regards to the reaction above mine , anything not related to the paintwork should be posted in the correct forum section , or just send a PM to the painter in question . When the only information given is " It doesn't work " , there's not a lot that anyone can do and I've given up on playing 20 questions as this is a waste of time and server space . That's why I posted topics with titles such as " Asking for help ? Points to consider " and " Installing repaints for the Airbus A320 / 321 ( all versions ) "  , I didn't post them for fun , they are there to help others . That no-one seems to read those topics is not something that I can change and I don't intend repeating myself ( as has happened in the past ) .

I followed instructions that John provided and it works great now. I'm embarrassed of my stupid action of rating DetCord's 1 star and this repaint is definitely a FIVE star. I wish there was a way i could change the review but I just can't find a way to do it. You guys do tremendous work and all of simmers appreciate it. Thanks again

Archived