F6 startup smoke

craftysniper

Hi guys, I have installed in my flight sim the amazing F6 Lightning and I am in love with this classic aviation beast. However I do have one question. On starting the engines I know that on eng 1 there is a plume of smoke that is fired down as the engine starts. On starting eng 2 there is another plume that shoots out of the left hand side, however the smoke seems a bit too much. It looks like it comes out of the entire rear portion of the aircraft. Is there anyone here who has seen this issue and maybe could help me out?

BTW I have seen a few real Lightning F6's startup, so I know roughly how much smoke the aircraft emits during startup.

Thanks in advance,

David

Hi Dave 

Glad you are having fun :0),

Can you add a screen shot , to illustrate the point , and check on the wind direction.... the smoke will drift .. and there is start-up smoke from the back of the engine.

Cheers, and happy landings

Dave R

Hi Dave. I can see the smoke being fired into the ground and just as that smoke is about to finish some more smoke comes out of the rear of the aircraft but not out of the engine. When the engine catches there is some greyish dark smoke that comes from the engine. 

fsx 2016-07-08 18-00-49-82.bmp

Oh and the wind was 11kts at 243mag

Hi Dave 

That is the no2 starter smoke. As you say the no1 starter exhaust blasts into the ground and is scattered by its own velocity so doesn't form a cloud,... out of the engine exhaust you first get a puff of white which is the fuel vapour then as the engine catches it turns darker and dissipates with the jet flow .

If you are doing an external start with the keyboard the no2 will fire  just as the no1 finishes..

That comes out just under the port flap , and depending on humidity,  wind strength and direction the exhaust smoke  got caught under the wing and was retained by the houchin and built up to form a cloud before it drifted off in the breeze, If it was windy it would be whipped away and you would hardly notice it , but I went for the dramatic cloud ( not much point in creating an fx you can't see !;0)... and I have coughed my way with watring eyes through so many avpin clouds that that is the way I remembered it most ;)

Cheers

Dave R

Thanks for letting me know, I love everything about how realistic this aircraft is. Every time I start her up the sounds put the hairs on the back of my neck up. I unfortunately am too young to really remember the Lightnings in RAF service all though I was taken to RAF Binbrook for the last show in the late 80''s even though I can't remember it. once again thank you for your help,

Long live the Lightning 

No problem, happy to oblige . You'll have to get yourself to Bruntingthorpe on one of the cold war jet days , the fast taxi runs will bring all the memories back :D

D

ah yes I have been there many times and seen there amazing collection. I have started a Virtual Cold War Collection in FSX and have a small collection of iconic cold war aircraft. I will be creating photos a videos of the collection as it grows.

Archived