Purpose of FPS limiters ?

Hi,

I very often see how useful it is to use fps limiters for either FSX or P3D.

This works fine for the default Cessna but with the ASX or the NGX, by using an fps limiter say e.g. locked to 30 fps, I get an extreme fps loss and I get around 9-10 fps

while with unlimited fps I get about 16-17 which is reasonable.

Any opinions on this?

Thanks

There were some people that got good results with certain sceneries with certain aircrafts and circumstances using FPS limiters. In my opinion, with nowadays hardware, it is better to run unlimited and use vsync or even G-sync so the sim's fps rate is adapted to the monitor refresh rate.

From my experience, FSX runs best when locked to 30 fps internally and using 1/2 vsync in Nvidia Inspector. With P3D, setting to UNLIMITED runs best. Overall, a fps limiter is not required.

But as always: best is to try out.

• Aerosoft

In non of our test any kind of FPS limiter made any sense. The one inside FS is porked for sure and external ones could never allow FS to do more stuff in the background, you simply see CPU low drop. Snake-oil, but as always there are many people who swear they did miracles for their sim. But then again, many people insert tweaks that are simply not being used since FS2002 and feel they help. 

I choose unlimited, seems to be working better for me. Maybe fps limiters are better used with more powerful hardware than mine.

Archived