All Aerosoft titles (as well as others) are gone

thanks for explaining , but I think it will be a good idea , to make a complete register backup before updating aerosoft

software in future. because this seems to be only way to keep you save from going back to scratch again.

5 minutes ago, Chris Bell said:

thats because we know in advance that we need to delete everything under a single folder,

which is normally the case with our type of software; there is no point in indicating each file to be deleted under a single folder if the whole folder needs to be deleted anyway,

Ok, that makes sense but I still don't fully understand how other programs are affected if I think of this in terms of DOS and how wildcards are used.

Let's say I have a product called A having all its files in a folder called A. If I then delete everything within that folder using wildcards that will still not touch anything in folder B, C and so on.

Again, thanks for trying to explain but you really don't need to spend any more time on my old and tired brain ;)

if during uninstall this command is issued which is likely part of the uninstall script...

reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall /va /f

normally behind the \Uninstall there should be the name of the entry below the main Uninstall branch to delete,

in this case as you can see i am pointing to the main branch instead of the sub branch, in this example im missing \xyz after the \Uninstall

doing so will delete all entries under Uninstall and Uninstall branch folder itself,

im not saying this was the case; just illustrating how a small error could cause this,

Yep, that's a scary example but in this case not all entries were lost but "only" approximately 2/3 of them. At least in my case.

Anyway I understand what you mean and the conclusion really is as simple as a minor human mistake unfortunately had a severe impact.

right on Richard!

Aerosoft guys are aware and are responsible professionals, (speaking from my first hand experience!)

this is unusual and a bit embarrassing; no need to harp on that further,

there is only one strange thing left  aswell in version V1.41 and V1.42 there was also something wrong

not only with the uninstaller but also with the installer of the scenery.

because in both versions after installation there was also no enrty in the windows program remove/change

and this was also not noticed before releasing it to public.

Mathijs, Chris and/or other 3rd party devs that might be listening ... to avoid this issue in the future you can initiate a restore point with code.

You can use winmgmts (WMI) ... I believe something like this GetObject("winmgmts:\\.\root\default:Systemrestore") and then do a .CreateRestorePoint ... it's been a long time since I've had to do anything with desktop apps since I'm in the world of enterprise sql/web development (and hate it).   I think you need elevated privileges ... but don't quote, just going from memory.

Cheers, Rob.

Thank you Rob,

we have an opening in our studios if you're interested ;)

i think you need to get out that sql/web funk you're in with a cool video Rob style,

no need to upgrade your system to Pascal; we'll take it as is :D

Haha, thanks Chris ... past couple days I've been in SSL deployment hell with one of my Silverlight apps ... finally solved it late this evening.  Sadly not much time to do much simming lately.

Cheers, Rob.

Archived