Announcing Dallas/Fort Worth Intl (KDFW)

What a great time to fly in X-Plane.

Hello everyone. Following the recent trend of ultra-high quality add-ons for X-Plane 10, I am excited to announce my new project—the Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (KDFW) scenery. Although currently a work in progress, you can check out the completed Terminal D in 1080p below:

Sprawled across 18,076 acres of land—an area larger than the island of Manhattan—DFW is the world's third largest airport. With 681,244 aircraft movements in 2015, it is also the world's third busiest airport. 7 runways, 5 terminals, 165 gates and 3 control towers help accomodate the 1,845 daily flights. DFW is the headquarters and the largest hub of American Airlines, the world's largest airline.

Planned features (not a final list):

• Up-to-date scenery with all airport facilities
  • 30 cm/pixel orthoimagery and 1 cm/pixel custom ground detail/markings
  • Airport lighting and pavement markings closely follow FAA/ACI standards
  • Terminals with interiors modelled using actual architectural drawings
  • Modelled aircraft overpasses crossing International Parkway
  • Ray-traced ambient occlusion, local illumination and specular mapping
  • Uses advanced X-Plane features such as decal shading and 3D spill lights
  • Animated passenger boarding bridges and Safedock® A-VDGS at all gates (using the freely available AutoGate plugin by Jonathan Harris)
  • Animated apron vehicles, road traffic and Skylink APM
  • Compatible with the static aircraft features introduced in X-Plane 10.50
  • Complete taxiway network with traffic flows for use by ATC and AI aircraft
  • Volumetric Grass
  • Scenery features can be individually turned on/off to optimize performance
  • Designed using efficient modelling techniques for maximum performance
  • Uses 4K textures to maximise performance by minimizing draw calls

Flexible Performance

Users will be able to individually turn scenery features on or off in order to optimize the performance of the scenery for their respective systems. For example, if volumetric grass is too much for your system to handle, you can simply turn it off, thereby increasing performance. Some other things you will be able to turn off are terminal interiors, terminal details, animated vehicles, apron vehicles, parked vehicles, etc. Other features, such as the number of trees, road traffic and 3D lights will be controlled by X-Plane's built-in settings. This way, users will have complete control over the balance of performance and quality and will be able to use the scenery on even the slowest systems.

Dynamic Static Aircraft

DFW will use the new dynamic system for static aircraft that will be introduced in X-Plane 10.50. Details of the new system can be found here: http://goo.gl/pLb0O2

Release Date: Expected Fall 2016

KRSW: Also check out my previous project, Southwest Florida Intl, here: http://goo.gl/cidwLQ

-- Click on each screenshot below to view the full detail of the scenery in gorgeous 1920 x 1080 pixels --

30 cm/pixel orthoimagery

1 cm/pixel ground detail

Ray Tracing, Ambient Occlusion, Specular Mapping

Details, Details, Details

Animated PBBs, Safedock® A-VDGS, 3D Spill Lights

Swing Gates, Holdrooms, Concessions

Atrium, Admirals Club®, Sterile Corridor

• Administrator

Hello Omar,

thank you for the info.

Very good looking pictures....

If I can do anything, let me know (PM).

I have pinned your Topic and I have post it in the german forum too. With a link to this post here.

Greets Heinz

• 5 months later...

Progress Update

Hello everyone. I'd like to thank you all for waiting patiently for the release of this product. I am pleased to announce that the scenery will be released for both X-Plane 10 and 11. The product is 95% complete and the only tasks left to do are adding taxi routes, static and animated apron vehicles, parked vehicles, volumetric grass and X-Life compatibility. I expect to complete the scenery and submit it to Aerosoft for beta testing in the beginning of December. Please note that it will take some time for Aerosoft to test the scenery, fix any bugs and distribute it to the different stores. Meanwhile, please enjoy the following screenshots captured in X-Plane 11's beautiful new rendering engine.

-- Click on each screenshot below to view the full detail of the scenery in gorgeous 1920 x 1080 pixels --

• 2 weeks later...

'X-Life' Teaser

Hello everyone. Check out the new teaser of DFW for X-Plane 10 & 11. This video showcases how the X-Life plugin by JARDesign works with the scenery to achieve spectacular AI traffic. The integration supports accurate placement of AI aircraft according to their size, a complete taxiway network and also parallel runway operations. The video is shot completely in X-Plane 11's beautiful new rendering engine. Check it out in 1080p:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2017 at 6:18 AM, ranger79 said:

Omar, any updates on this awesome scenery? Cant wait!

To everyone who's been eagerly awaiting the release of this product: I deeply appreciate your enthusiasm for my work, and I am trying to get the scenery out as soon as possible.

Unfortunately, it seems unlikely that I'll be able to meet the January 2017 release deadline because X-Plane 11 has still not exited the Beta stage. In order to release my product, I must test it with the final, non-Beta version of X-Plane 11 to ensure that everyone gets a fully complete and bug-free product on Day 1.

Also, Ben Supnik at Laminar Research has advised all developers not to release any 'X-Plane 11 compatible' product while X-Plane 11 is still in Beta because the file formats for add-ons have not yet been finalized. If I release the scenery now, it may not work with the final version of X-Plane 11.

Because of these reasons, I have decided to delay submitting the scenery to Aerosoft until X-Plane 11 goes Final. Until then, I will have more time to work on the scenery and make it even better than it currently is. I hope you all understand my reasons for delaying the product and I thank you for your patience.

• 2 months later...

What's the status of this? On the other board you told us that it was sent to Aerosoft for publication several days ago. Looking forward to the release!

Hello. I am at DFW weekly. I check this page almost daily, and Im ecstatic for its release! One question: I couldn't tell, but did you model the current changes from renovations that have been taking place to Terminals A,B,C,E? They have overhauled and remodeled those terminals extensively. At the moment they are finishing up with Terminal E soon. Just wondering, thats all!

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Crucial Bug Fix for Aerosoft Dallas/Fort Worth Intl

A user has pointed out to me that crossing the elevated overpasses on Taxiways A/B/Y/Z may cause your aircraft to abruptly jump a few feet into the air and suffer from a tailstrike or other form of damage.

Use this fix to to diminish the issue:

1. Download the Aerosoft_KDFW_Overpass_Fix.zip file attached to this post.
  2. Extract the archive.
  3. Copy the extracted 220.obj file and place it in your X-Plane/Custom Scenery/Aerosoft_KDFW_5_Scenery/ folder, overwriting the previous file.

Aerosoft_KDFW_Overpass_Fix.zip

Important: The Aerosoft_KDFW_Overpass_Fix.zip file I posted in my previous post was causing AI traffic to taxi through the elevated overpasses instead of over them. Please download the new Aerosoft_KDFW_Overpass_Fix_#2.zip file attached to this post instead.

Aerosoft_KDFW_Overpass_Fix_#2.zip

The best DFW scenery gets even better.

Hi everyone. I'm pleased to announce a free major update to DFW that includes a whopping 30 improvements/fixes for issues reported to me by the community and that I noticed myself. Thank you to everyone who sent me messages/posted on my topics pointing out the various different issues. Here are the changes:

• All scenery elements are now correctly aligned with the ground layout
  • New custom files for World Traffic v3 and updated files for X-Life v2.0 support
  • LAHSO lights now stay on during the day and pulsate at the FAA-designated rate (1.72s ON, 0.46s OFF)
  • Added missing MALSR approach lighting on Runway 31R
  • Added missing taxiway centerline + edge lights and intermediate hold short markings on the aircraft overpasses
  • Added missing apron lights on the underside of the Skylink tracks
  • Added AutoGate marshallers to eligible gates/stands with no A-VDGS
  • Added missing night lighting on the Skylink cars and tracks
  • Added missing jet blast deflectors throughout the airport
  • Added the three missing ramp towers
  • Added the two missing radar towers with animated spinning dishes
  • Added the missing American flag and American Airlines plaque at the Terminal A-C Connector
  • Added the missing Maverick VOR/DME structure
  • Added missing parking sheds north of Terminal E
  • Added missing fuel tanks at well drilling sites throughout the airport
  • Added wind-dependent ATC traffic flows to runways and one-way directionality to parallel taxi routes
  • Added the service roads that run parallel to International Pkwy
  • Fixed streetlights protruding through the aircraft overpasses
  • Fixed passenger Skylink track pillars protruding through PBBs and GSE
  • Fixed visual artifacts on the aircraft overpasses
  • Fixed default AI aircraft not using the airport
  • Fixed color of high-pressure sodium apron lights and added an individual 'billboard' for each lamp housing
  • Fixed PBBs not connected to the Terminal B Stinger
  • Fixed position of RIDS displays for Gates B1-B3
  • Fixed flickering parts of the Skylink tracks
  • Fixed visible seams between orthoimagery tiles
  • Fixed sky visibility through translucent windows
  • Fixed missing interior wall sections of Terminals A-C & E
  • Fixed flickering interior wall sections of Terminal D
  • Reduced the probability of incorrect airlines at Terminals D & E when using the MisterX static aircraft library

New custom files for World Traffic v3: https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/41898-world-traffic-v3-files-for-aerosofts-dallasfort-worth-intl-kdfw-scenery/

Updated files for X-Life v2.0: http://jardesign.org/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=15319

The update for both the X-Plane 10 and X-Plane 11 versions of the scenery has been pushed to Aerosoft today and should be released to customers soon.

If you have any questions regarding the changes, please feel free to ask.

Archived