Autopilot pitch up when selecting ALT

spreilly

So I'm flying the Twotter, short little hop from Cayman Brac to Grand Cayman. Normally I climb, reach my altitude of 6500 feet, and throw on the autopilot. But for whatever reason, when I select ALT mode, the aircraft pitches up quite a bit, even when I'm at level flight. It hasn't been an issue before. I've read the manuals, but I can't seem to find anything that could be the matter.

Also it tends to pitch up at first, and then descend.

EDIT: Here's what I mean: http://www.vataware.com/flight/5754d1c55352336b3b000003

What is the aircraft doing when you select the AP switch to ON? If it is still trimmed to climb it will likely overshoot and then oscillate a little before settling down. You could select AP ON during the climb and then set use the ALT ALERT function to climb to your target altitude. Just set it on the dial and press ALT ALERT.

On 6/6/2016 at 2:35 AM, MarkHurst said:

What is the aircraft doing when you select the AP switch to ON? If it is still trimmed to climb it will likely overshoot and then oscillate a little before settling down. You could select AP ON during the climb and then set use the ALT ALERT function to climb to your target altitude. Just set it on the dial and press ALT ALERT.

Will try, thanks for the tip.

I thought the ALT ALERT was just an audible warning, not a part of the autopilot.

Archived