excessive airspeed on decent and landing

Dear Aerosoft Airbus,

Thanks for your help last time with navigation display.  

I noticed that when I descent  and  deploy full  speed brake and idle throttle I still have an excess increase in airspeed. Normally anything beyond 2000 feet per minute will have excessive increase in airspeed any aircraft.  Today i started a 1500 feet per minute descent and i still noticed in excessive amount of airspeed.  Most normal descents in the simulator do not ask for a hold on altitude so the speed usually will decay in the descent with spoilers deployed and idle throttle. To complicate the matter as I extend the flaps the airspeed slightly decreases, but the airspeed jumps up and flaps going beyond operating limit.  Its almost difficult to extend the flaps and gear without seeing a sharp increase in airspeed.  Even at a maximum descent rate of 1000 fpm i still see a increase in airspeed indicator.  most aircraft will fluctate in airspeed with throttle and pitch.  This aircraft's airspeed will not drop but will remain steady or even increase on final  with idle throttle and about 800 feet per minute the aircraft will not decelerate which puts airplane high above 1000 foot marker.  Every time I land I have to push the nose down and almost land on the nose gear. So in my conclusion something is wrong.  Usually I can cut the power over the numbers and flaiir the aircraft touch the main gear then bring the nose gear down.,  But not with this aircraft. Even in the real airbus i know if you pull the throttle off you will see a decrease in airspeed. Normally with flaps being extended the airspeed wont jump above the operating limited unless the throttle is pushed up or a  high rate of descent.

The issue might be related to active sky Next, fsuipc, i modified the aircraft cfg under flight tuning, maybe joystick configuration.  Like before let me know what you think?  Have a great day!!!

Hi there,

Modern jet aircraft are very slippery and the Airbus is no exception: energy management is key and you will indeed struggle to get much more than 1500fpm below FL100 without a speed increase: likewise if you are fast and clean when you intercept the glideslope you will struggle to get slowed down and configured even with at idle. This is entirely normal and realistic behaviour.

The only real solution is to start your descent earlier and slow down earlier: you really want to have Flap 1 selected around and speed no greater than S speed by glideslope intercept, and even then a tailwind can make things tricky.

Once you have stabilised your approach better the flare should be more straightforward: bear in mind the flare is very slight, no more than a degree or two nose up (which, as you should be judging it visually out of the windscreen -- is just enough to be able to perceive a change in attitude and no more). Any more than that and you will float: again, the real aeroplane does this too.

High turbulence settings in ASN will cause the airspeed to bounce around a lot and if the winds are shifting a lot you may well find yourself with a lot of extra energy: I believe a turbulence setting of no more than 40 is recommended by Aerosoft.

You mentioned that you have modified the aircraft.cfg: how and why? I can assure you that the Aerosoft bus, descends and lands quite acceptably with no modification to the flight dynamics, provided it is handled correctly. If you have been fiddling then you may well have upset the FDE.

Best,

Simon

• 1 month later...

Can you give us some screenshots? It would be helpful. The scenario does not sound normal to me. Unless with anti-ice on, the Airbus should descend much better than you described. Also spoilers are quite effective generally.

32 minutes ago, davidchen9568 said:

Unless with anti-ice on, the Airbus should descend much better than you described. Also spoilers are quite effective generally.

Not really, 2000fpm is just too much if you are that low already. At high altitude you can do this, but below FL100 you should really calculate with descendrates not higher than 1500fpm as Simon said already.

Simons explanation pretty much covered it already.

• 7 months later...
  • Deputy Sheriffs
7 minutes ago, Bobraw said:

I have the same problem. The airbus doesn.t follow the glideslope on many routes  and I have to takeover and land manually. Poor.

If you are seeking for some help here you should provide the same information which already has been asked for a little bit above in this topic.

6 minutes ago, Bobraw said:

I have the same problem. The airbus doesn.t follow the glideslope on many routes  and I have to takeover and land manually. Poor.

As per my response to your other topic, I am slightly confused as to why you have leapt to the conclusion that the aircraft is 'poor'.

• 2 weeks later...

Gonna need screenshots of when these occurrences take place. It might be that you're not configured properly, or that the speed you're hoping for isn't enough for the rate of descent you want. Remember that although speed brakes are more effective at lower altitude (obviously) they are also less effective at lower speed (also obviously) so there's that to consider. If you're struggling with energy management on the final approach, try chucking the gear out. I can get from 250kts clean, on the ILS at 15miles, to stable at 1000ft using the gear (say 245kts... don't want to have to call an engineer). So remember the landing gear if you're too high and/or fast as an option. Also landing lights will give you an extra 100ft per minute or so (on the real plane anyway).

Archived