Mega Airport Frankfurt v2 VAS Use

Hi.

I compare VAS usage of V1 and V2 with same setting (Autogen Normal, ASN, FTX Global, AI traffic OFF, AS A319)

V1-2760Mb  (68%)

V2-3376MB (83%)

I know V2 look 1000 times better and comparing is like comparing apples and pears  , but in present state I can finish flight only with a/c like Cessna.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
vor 21 Stunden , Terblanche sagte:

Just did a short flight from EDDM to EDDF and everything was turned OFF ... no AI traffic, road traffic, no ASN or anything else ... hold and behold I was able to land at EDDF and halfway to the terminal "KAPPPAAAAW!!" - another OOM!

Too tired of this. Going to fly to other airports with all the toys (tooters and bells) ON with no problems.

:(

I just did this flight with the Aerosoft Airbus X A320 in FSX. Traffic: Ultimate Traffic 2 (low traffic setting), REX TD, REX Soft Clouds (all texture resolutions at max), ASN. Graphics Settings: Scenery Detail: Normal, Autogen: OFF, Water details: LOW, no road traffic. Departed with VAS of 2,400. After touchdown at 25R at Frankfurt I had a VAS usage of around 3,000 - 3,200. Nowhere near the OOM error...

My specs are: i7-47900K 4.5GHz, 16GB Ram, Nvidia GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980Ti, Windows 10. So far no OOms at Frankfurt after 5 flights in and out. 

vor 9 Stunden , FWAviation sagte:

@Fangtooth@edpatino@nickpap89

@Tom A320

Regarding your question about my AI traffic, @data63: I use many of the World of AI packages. I just looked it up: The FAIB 747 is included in some of those packages and therefore installed in my FSX, but I'm not sure whether it's the new "texture-heavy" version you are talking about. And regarding your comment about the recent trend to say "this is the worst scenery in terms of FPS and VAS": Well, I never made such a statement before - and as a matter of fact, I get very good frames and VAS usage with recently released Mega Airport Prague from this very company. ;)

there is only one FAIB 747/748 model - just have a look at the texture sizes - in some aircraft packages (I don't use WOAI) . there is a "light" version included (about 5MB)

...that on with the "tendencies" wasn't aimed at you - Sorry for the misunderstanding

6 hours ago, Terblanche said:

@jmorvay1971 - I have no problem flying OUT of EDDF when I load a flight with aircraft standing at the gate. It is only when I fly from another airport TO EDDF that the OOM occur. The VAS count 20nm from EDDF is ± 2,700 and then it goes up to 3,200 at 10nm and then it spikes and 'BOOM!' the OOM hits you. Most people, like myself, report good FPS and relatively good VAS when you load a flight and standing or taxiing at EDDF as long as you don't attempt to fly from anywhere to EDDF. Even tried an approach with A2A Comanche and same story just after touch down.

A permanent switch to P3D is probably eminent and the only thing still holding back is the fact that I have to buy the PMDG 738 ($90) and 777 ($135) again (!!) as well as Flight1 Super King200 and GTN750 because of their feeble "excuse" that their P3D installers are worth that amount of money with no discount for FSX users :mellow: but that is their indaba and not relevant to this forum.

In the meantime there are more than enough other airports in and around Europe to use FSX with great effect without any trouble. Maybe there will be a FSX 'fix' for EDDF, maybe not. As they say in the movies, let's see.

Happy weekend!

I hear what you're saying, and not that I was out to disprove anything either.  Last night was a test of a full flight using EDDF.  I plan on performing a return flight from EGCC to EDDF to see for myself, if this issue affects me.  You mentioned the comanche, which I too also have and right after I had purchased EDDF, I did a quick test flight with the comanche, flying out of and in to EDDF with no problems to report.  It was a sloppy flight, taking off from 07R and landing at 25R (the new runway).  This was more of an exploratory flight than anything.  I wanted to see the great detail of the airport, so in any case, after landing, I taxied from 25R all the way down towards the main terminals, dodging quite a few AI aircraft (as I said, sloppy flight) but I finally parked at a stand nearby and shutdown without issue.  Sure, I get lower frames at and around EDDF, but no real issues.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong? lol

Your statement about re-purchasing aircraft is a sticking point with a lot of folks.  I too had re-purchased the PMDG 737 and was on track to do the same with the 777 but I ceased, waiting to see how everything would pan out with P3D v3.  I kinda understand both sides of the coin when it comes to FSX, P3D purchases, so I can't complain too much.  I don't have a bottomless wallet, so I do tend to get a little picky with add-ons.  Now that I know I have a very stable setup of P3D, I am more confident in picking my next destination.  I have a mixed bag of 3rd party airports, from ORBX to FlyTampa and even Drzewiecki Design.  Some airports have a greater load on my system than others, but as long as they work and I don't feel like I am inside of a zoetrope, then I'm happy.

After reading this comments, I was not sure I should buy or not. But I bought it and tried to fly. First flight in FSX (box) with Acceleration Pack 2, second flight in P3D V3. It is very difficult to say, this system with this cfg is good or bad. So I try to explain my results.

In FSX I do not use AI-Traffic because I fly online very often, no need for this. So this is off, in FSX and P3D. In FSX I set autogen to 0, ASN only 2 cloud layers, frames unlimited. In P3D limited to 20 fps, settings for Autogen normal, many trees and buildings with Orbx FTX Global, which I do not use in FSX. Airplane: Blackbox-Simulation Airbus. TakeOff RWY 25C, landing 25R.

Results:

FSX: FPS are on ground between 15 and 20, takeoff with around 17 fps. After TakeOff 17 to 30 fps, far away from EDDF, up to 40 fps. Weather cloudy and raining. When flying nearer to the airport, sometimes frames droping down to 7 or 8, but landing with 18 fps to 22 are possible. I didn't see a difference in FPS to Hongkong (Taxi2Gate) or other similar airports. Some airports like Narita (around 50 Euros) are much more frame killers. Because EDDF is such a big airport with so many buildings, the developer did a good job. I couldn't find wrong textures, for example in the buildings inside, or missing textures. Everything seems fine. The bridges between RWY25R and the main apron are ok, but very bumpy. And at the apron also some places maybe have no concrete layer.

Buildings, taxiways and runway are much better than on the screenshots. On screenshots, they looking like default, but at the airport, they looking realistic and fine.

In my opinion, if someone fly to Atatürk or Hongkong from T2Gate, he can expect similar FPS at EDDF in FSX. Compared with FlyTampa Sydney, the FPS are better and more stable.

P3D: During taxi, takeoff the FPS never below 19, they are between 19.9 and 19.6. (The same computer, but with autogen normal, many trees from FTX Global, more clouds with ASN). Maybe at 1000 ft there was a short down to 7 fps, then it goes up to 15, 17 and after the first turn on Marun3F departure, the FPS are stable at 19.8 again. During landing the fps lower down to 18, 17, but landing was smooth and no further problems. Compared with FlyTampa Sydney, the FPS are better and more stable.

The AGIS in P3D is really good. I never saw in P3D a working AGIS. FlyTampa airports show only the distance in P3D, but EDDF also direction and messages. THIS is the best AGIS I ever saw in FSX or P3D!!!!!!!

P3D will be the future. The big obstacle for P3D is PMDG!!! Aerosoft Airbus, Blackbox Airbus are with installers for both, FSX and P3D. Only a few companies like PMDG and Captain Sim, A2A try to fool us. It is unbelievable. I bought from PMDG 747 for FS9, for FSX, 737NGX for FSX and T7 for FSX. It is so bad behavior from PMDG to their old customers, we get no discount for P3D versions. More worst, we must pay not only again, we are urged to pay more than before. I will never forget this and if they sell their new 747, I will only buy, if it has an installer for P3D and FSX. If not, they can fly the queen alone! And I hope other customers will do the same!

@jmorvay1971 - it seems there is not a problem with EDDF in P3D. I've just done another flight from EDDM to EDDF and manage to land and taxi to the gate with no OOM BUT ~ everything was turned OFF! No AI Traffic, Water down to 1x, no autogen and every other scenery I have turned OFF except EDDM and EDDF flying with A321 with HD Cockpit textures. The only ADD ONS in the background were: FSUIPC, FS FORCE, EZDOK, SODE and GSX was disabled.

The strange thing for me is the fact that I monitor my VAS all the way - 10DME and 1004 left; 5DM and 835 left; touch down 835 left and then "BANG!!" RTD OOM! It's not even a matter of running out of memory because somewhere between 835MB left, it just bombs out. The problem is not FPS because I average a 24-27 FPS at EDDF which is considering the scale and detail pretty good. My FPS is locked at 30 FPS.

As I said before - I have P3D (another $199 ouch) and I'm only using it for single and twin prop aircraft flying mostly ORBX Terrain Scenery in US, Norway and UK. Over the last 7 years I've purchased almost every airport for Europe from different developers. Most of them don't have P3D (v3) installers. My FSX is really running smoothly and I have no problems with any other airport. Sure EGLL has a massive hit on FPS and so does the new EDDT but I don't have any OOMs.

My gut tells me that something, somewhere is clashing with EDDF and that it is not only a matter of breaking the VAS barrier or running out of VAS because as I say, even on short finals there is almost 500MB left.

RE: PMDG - I've had my finger on the button to buy the B738 a few times but then the voice of reason says, nope, rather buy LKPR and EDDF V2. I did however bought the Flight1 GTN750 (again!) for P3D because that is such a nice-to-have when you fly small aircraft. For now I'm more than happy with FSX as it is - if only I can figure out what is causing the EDDF OOMs.

Until then ... happy flying!

I performed a long haul flight KJFK-EDDF V2 using P3DV3.2.  I used WOAI and Opus weather while flying PMDG's 777-200.  Minimal autogen and no additional scenery other than detailed airports.   No problems with VAS and my FPS were silky smooth.  From initial looks, EDDF V2 performs really well in P3D.  During the 777's landing rollout, with 60% ai traffic on the airport, I was still able to achieve 27 FPS.      

Just now, flusi748 said:

Can you please post your specs that we can understand it? ;) 

Sure:

MY PC specs are Intel Core I7 4790K stock clockspeed, MSI motherboard, EVGA Nvidia GTX 790 TI, Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR 1600 MHZ, Kingston SSD 512 GB SSD. 

In P3D, I set my FPS unlimited with V-Sync.  Monitor resolution is 1680x1050 32 bit.  Shadows are set to minimum for quality and number of objects.  Scenery is set to dense while resolution and detail size are set to 3/4 of max.  Oh yes, I only use max 1024x1024 textures.      

1 hour ago, flusi748 said:

What graphic card do you have? ;) 

Ok I think, that  the 1024x textures make the big difference.

Yes, 1024 textures do make a very large difference.  I have found out, the hard way, that complex aircraft and 4096x4096 textures will lead to poor FPS and, in extreme cases, OOMs.  Also, Orbx landclass addons are beautiful, but they do cost VAS and reduce FPS.  Orbx Vector is particularly hard on both VAS and FPS.      

Finally flying with FSX into EDDF without any OOM <_<

Here is what I did -

1. Go to Mega Airport Frankfurt 2.0 Terrain and rename eddf_aerial.bgl; EDDF_WALD-NORD_LandClass.bgl; EDDF_WALD-SUED_LandClass.bgl ... I just *.off the lot [something I've learned with EGLL where TERRAIN is completely switched off]
  2. Close all other airports - lock the gates and put white cloth over the furniture except the airport you depart and EDDF for arrival [use SceneryConfigEditor, I've created groups for countries and it's easy to switch on and off]
  3. Ground ALL aircraft, put them in a hangar and send all pilots on a holiday [NO AI Traffic]
  4. Put a sail over all water - rivers, dams, and oceans so that you will not see any waves and/or reflections [water down to 1x in fsx settings] and while you at it, cut off all trees and get rid of whole neighbourhoods [turn Autogen off]
  5. As you cross 20DME inbound EDDF start to pray [refresh/reload scenery, it keeps VAS stable] and when 10DME really really start to pray, touch down and hold your breath ... "NO OOM" say "AmEn!" and taxi to the gate.

Flying out of EDDF in FSX is no problem for me and you can even get some pilots back in AI Traffic as long as it is a clean start-up back into FSX. The moment after take-off all other airports and water can come back alive and you can switch on all the other bells & whistles that have no influence in breaking (braking?) VAS.

And why will you do all of the above if you suffer from an OOM ... because for the few minutes that you are on the ground, you can enjoy this spectacular airport and believe me an approach into the new EDDF (v2) is worth all the drama.

Hopefully soon there will be a way to approach EDDF without firing pilots and keep all other airports in a locked-down and who knows even see the moon's and sun's reflection on the Rhine again.

Cheerio

Terblanche

PS: May I add, this is all on a pretty decent PC - Win7 64bit; i7 490 3.60GHz Quad; 16 DDR RAM; GTX 750

Hello! This my experience today: a short flight with A319 from EHRD to EDDF V2. No traffic, no ASN, just UTX2 and GEX. Everything normal until overflyng EDDF for landing were VAS usage became 3600mb , then 3860mb once taxiing out the rwy 07L till the gate, were FSX stopped due to OOM.

Disabled all traffic around the airport's apron. I think this scenery is not usable for me. Please see my computer specs:

CPU i5 2550K *4,2ghz*-dissi Arctic Cooling Freezer 13-MB Asus P8Z68 DeLuxe Gen3-VGA Asus GeForce GTX 970 OC. 4GB DDR5 Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8GB 1600mhz-SSD SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500GB (SO)-SSD SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB (FSX)PSU Be Quiet 730W ATX80 plus bronze-Case Cooler Master Storm Enforcer
FSX SP2-WIN 7 Pro 64bit

Hi.

Small update. I finished the flight to EDDF with AS A319 (ASN Heavy rain and overcast, FTX, REX) without OOM by reducing FSX settings.

I had everything maxed. After I lower:

- Scenery complexity from Extreme to Very dense

- Autogen from Very dense to Normal

I deactivate  Frankfurt-Egelsbach just as a precaution.

I landed and taxi to the gate without OOM and sound warning with cca 750-800Mb VAS left

Brgds

Thanks for the update, @ehasanov. The problem is: Whether you get an OOM or not, might also depend on how long your flight was, where you started it and which other sceneries you crossed on your way to EDDF. I, for my part, got my most recent OOM on final approach to EDDF, flying in from Mega Airport Dublin (itself a quite VAS-demanding airport). On my 90-minute flight from Dublin to Frankfurt, I also flew past Mega Airport Heathrow Xtended, UK2000's London City Airport and the generally very busy London area. So it might make quite a difference if you only flew for 30 minutes and maybe only from a default airport to EDDF, without crossing any high-end scenery areas with lots of AI traffic. So it would be interesting if you could tell us which route you chose and which add-on scenery areas you crossed.

But, in any case, it's always a good idea not to max out all settings in FSX. With an extreme scenery complexity and high autogen, it's much more likely to run into VAS or FPS problems, even if you don't even fly to or from EDDF.

Hi

I flew route from LDZA to EDDF (1 hour flight) with route   OBUTI UM19 GRZ  SUBEN T161 NENUM T161 REDNIT161 PSA.

During flight I observed free VAS and inbound PSA it was around 1.4gb.

For test I choose PSA07S arrival for rwy 07C.

Abeam EDDF it was around 850mb. As I flew more from the airport, free VAS increases to 1.2Gb, on final leg 25nm from touchdown 1.2gb, 10nm 750Mb and stayed like this till parking on gate.

I didn't have audio warnnig for OOM.

I will test more tonight.

P.S. AI traffic is OFF

BRGDS

So, experienced my first OOM using the new EDDF.

As a base test I loaded FSX twice - once at EDDF V2.0 and once EGLL (UK2000), both using AS Airbus 319

The VAS usage amounted to 3,250,xxx for EDDF and 2,673,xxx for EGLL.

I'm only using textures set at 1024 and LOD at 4.5.

Is there anything in EDDF that I can switch off to enable me to use the addon?

Ray

vor 2 Minuten, Ray Smith sagte:

Is there anything in EDDF that I can switch off to enable me to use the addon?

Just as a test: try to deactivate eddf_docking.bgl (eddf_docking.off) in the airport scenery folder and see how it goes. There will soon be an update.

Tried that but it didn't seem to have any effect on VAS.

I tested FlyTampa LOWW scenery with the PMDG 777-300 and that only gets to 2,600,xxx even with a raised texture of 2048 instead of the default 1024.

I think I'll just wait for the update as at current although the scenery looks great it is unusable and making changes to the FSX.cfg is also not having any material effect on this scenery.

Processor:    i7-4770 @ 3.4Ghz

Memory:       16GB

GPU:            GTX 760 - 2048MB GDDR5 

System:        Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Sim:              FSX with Acceleration

I'm holding off on buying EDDF, since I read a lot about people having VAS problems and OOM's. However most of what I see is with FSX. Does the same vas / ooms happend with P3D v 3.1?

There's also lots of advise on turning down detail, autogen, no ai etc.etc, but where's the fun in having a great looking sim with great addons, if you have to turn everything down to be able to complete a flight.

It certaintly look great in the screenshots I have seen, but if I can't use it with the addons I already have, I'm not sure this one is gonna make it to my HDD.

Processor:    i7-4790 @ 4.0Ghz

GPU:            GTX 970 - 2048MB GDDR5 

System:        Windows 7  64bit

Sim:              P3D v3.1

• Deputy Sheriffs
43 minutes ago, Jlunddk said:

I'm holding off on buying EDDF, since I read a lot about people having VAS problems and OOM's. However most of what I see is with FSX. Does the same vas / ooms happend with P3D v 3.1?

There's also lots of advise on turning down detail, autogen, no ai etc.etc, but where's the fun in having a great looking sim with great addons, if you have to turn everything down to be able to complete a flight.

It certaintly look great in the screenshots I have seen, but if I can't use it with the addons I already have, I'm not sure this one is gonna make it to my HDD.

Processor:    i7-4790 @ 4.0Ghz

GPU:            GTX 970 - 2048MB GDDR5 

System:        Windows 7  64bit

Sim:              P3D v3.1

Hmm, simply watch that video: 2 airports "unflyable" for certain users

Hi

Great video.

But few notes here.

Most user with OOM are using FSX.

And MJC Q400 is using less memory then for example AS A319 or PMDG 737.

Never had problems with Q400 and OOM

Brgds

vor 1 hour , mopperle sagte:

Hmm, simply watch that video: 2 airports "unflyable" for certain users

I made another testflight from EDDT to EDDF today (Prepar3D v3.2) and had no OOM (free VAS was about 400MB - the same as yesterday when i departed from EGLL). But as ehasanov stated, most users which are reporting OOMs are using FSX and other aircrafts as used in the video. I think the developers couldn't ignore the fact that many users are facing problems with OOMs. And hopefully these issues will be solved (unlike the performance issues at EDDT where currently no update is planned). EDDF v2 is absolutely fantastic but in my opinion, if you buy a scenery, you could expect that you don't have to lower all your settings just to get the scenery to work as it should. There are many other "Mega Airports" (also from other Developers) where OOMs are not a problem (also several developers are providing Configuration Tools where you can disable certain features to fit your needs better).

Best regards

I just (I mean only about 4 minutes ago) completed a short-haul flight from EGKK to EDDF and aside from a waypoint throwing me off, I was able to land at EDDF without any issue.  Everything functioned the way it has always been.  I was flying the AS A319 (Lufthansa livery), with ORBX OpenLC EU, Rex TD/soft clouds and ASN for weather control.  I am very pleased with EDDF so far.

There may be some credibility to the statement made previous that it may depend on how long your flight is.  I will try a longer flight later and see if performance changes.

Hello together, I am using FSX-SE on I5-3570k @ stock-speed WIN10/64 with medium overall setting plus 7% traffic (MyTraffic6)   and  EDDF V2  oomed when reaching the gate.

Following the forums here I found a hint (but didnt see it anymore) regarding the installation FSX-SE sceneries.

In short it says, if you are using FSX-SE solely (no parallel FSX installation) try this:

When the scenery-installer brings up the checkboxes>   FSX  -  FSX-SE  -  P3Dv..., than tick on FSX!  (but not FSX-SE, this is for dual installation only)

Did a fresh installation that way and  voila,  VAS usage never exeeded 90%-mark.  Have flown 3 different situations now with always good success.

Thanks and credit to the original poster here in the forum, but couldnt verify him anymore..

Wolfgang 

Another one, me: flying OUT of EDDF v2 works flawless, no performance issues (25-27FPS), no autogen issues, certainly no OOM. Also no issues when for example flying to ESSA (ORBX). In striking contrast: flying INTO EDDF v2 is a mess. Either there are huge parts of the autogen missing, I get an OOM or both together. Flying in e.g. from ESSA (ORBX) is impossible. Memory leak?

BTW: this is also in P3Dv3.2

Archived