Discus X Canopy reflections

priel

Hi, I was hoping I could humbly request for a slight change in the canopy reflections for the Discus X glider. I fly with a VR headset (FlyInside / Oculus), and the reflections are unfortunately much too strong. The tint of the canopy is also on the heavy side, and together these two issues ruin the enjoyment of this otherwise awesome model. Would it be possible, that for your next update one of the variations could be "VR friendly"? Personally I'd prefer to just loose the reflection and tint completely, or knock it down to barely noticeable.

Will keep my fingers crossed, and thanks for the hard work on the Discus.

Peter.

I take it Aerosoft has discontinued all support for the Discus X? After lot's of searching in the archives of this forum, I see numerous requests for the same above issue. There was a texture fix released some time ago (no tint fix though), but the link for the file doesn't work. Any of you guys still have it and mind uploading it somewhere?

Got to say, not very impressed... and why keep selling a product you don't bother offering support (or even a reply) on.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I can help since no one seems to be offering.  I remember when I first received the aircraft, and the canopy being hard to look through to see what was going on outside.  I'm not at my main computer at the moment to see if I fixed it myself, or downloaded the texture fix from somewhere.  I'll let you know what I came up with later this evening, or tomorrow sometime.

Scott

That be great Scott! I really like the glider but it's just too painful to fly it with the oculus. 

Cheers,

Peter.

Sorry priel, I'm finally getting around to this and found out that I never got around to "correcting" this install of FSX on my new computer as the canopy reflection is appearing to be the original, so I am going to make some time before the end of my day to see if I can remember what I did to change it.  I'm not sure what would be faster for me, to search the old hard drives for the reflection, or to just fix it myself.  So, at this time, I'm going to try to fix it myself.  THANKS for your patience in this matter.

Scott

No worries Scott! When you say fixing it yourself, you're referring to editing the .dds file yourself? I could try to figure that out myself.. will give it a go tomorrow. I doubt the tint can be removed right? Probably a material property in the model.

Peter.

Hello again Peter.  I found the download last night as I was not making any headway trying to change it myself, but I couldn't see much difference between it and the original.  But I will go ahead and attach it to this reply to see if you may have better results.  I am going to fiddle with this more today to see what maybe I'm doing wrong, maybe I'll get it right or just somewhat better by the end of today.

Scott

less-reflections (DiscusX).zip

Well, I forgot to answer your questions.  Yes I have edited the .dds files.  Not sure about the tint if it is changeable, did you mean from the outside of the aircraft?  From the aircraft selection menu, it appears to have a slight blue tint to it, but it seems to have disappeared after changing the reflection files.  Also, I'm getting a bad shadow "bubble" with my current modifications as shown in the following video.  I may have time tomorrow to look into it further.

Scott

No, I do not run FSX in Preview DirectX 10 mode.  I haven't really flown in a while, but used to, there was a problem viewing other aircraft in that Mode, so I stayed away from it.  But now if I remember right, Wolfgang Piper may have updated all of his many aircraft for it, and since they are the ones I mostly fly, I should give it a go.  Is there much that I am missing by not flying in DX10 Mode?  I should just try it anyway, since I'm pretty sure my current computer specs can handle that and more.  I am going to run some more tests tonight or tomorrow, and if I'm lucky, I can post a download of my reflection files.

Scott

I've only tried it a few times, out of curiosity. Had a lot of artifacts for me so never really looked into it again. Since I only fly with the Oculus, I can't use it anyway, since Flyinside doesn't support it. I'm just in the process of moving over to P3D (mainly due to the additional eyecandy!), do you have any experience with Wolfgang's gliders in that sim? Will try to install the Discus X in it and shall use your tweaked reflection map. See if it casts weird shadows there too.

HEY!!!  I made some headway today!  I am going to attach for download of some clearer reflections, but I still think there could be some kind of tint to it.  I may try at it again tomorrow, to see if I can get rid of the tint.  Anyways, here it is below.  And as far as P3D, I owned one of the first versions, but never went back to it because of ,if I remember right, we couldn't get real-world weather at the time but I cannot remember.

Scott

Clearer_Reflection.zip

Forgot to mention a couple of things.  I didn't use the Preview DirectX 10 mode yet, so I am unaware as to what the reflections can do there.  Also, I believe I can make the reflections that I did a little darker for you, and maybe I should do it anyway for my download so there is at least a few options a person could have, depending on their taste.

Scott

Archived