A small debate, F-104 vs. Lightning

peter197

Hi,

So Sim Skunk Works has tacpacked their F-104S, so you've now got two interceptors, one being the F-104 and EE Lightning built to be interceptors.

Which aircraft do you think would win?
Peter

2 hours ago, peter197 said:

Hi,

So Sim Skunk Works has tacpacked their F-104S, so you've now got two interceptors, one being the F-104 and EE Lightning built to be interceptors.

Which aircraft do you think would win?
Peter

Well..... I could be biased .......but my moneys on the Lightning.... that's if the Starfighter could delay turning itself into a smoldering crater before they made contact :focus_s:

Speeds were pretty even  but the Lightning was far more maneuverable and a far better aircraft to fly.  The S is the later Italian built version and so will have the more advanced missiles, 

We used to fly against the F104's on detatchments and TACEVAL's............ and I dont think we came second very often :0)

DR

So are you proposing that in terms of acceleration, climb and speeds they were roughly even, and the Lightning had the advantage in the turn?

Perhaps it would be more fair then to say the F-104G.

Anyway, i've just sort of wondered considering they were both for the same role, though they did it in very different ways.

15 hours ago, peter197 said:

What's your history with the lightning?

Hi Peter

Peter Caygill in his book "Lightning from the Cockpit" gives a comparison of the F104 V Lightning (amongst others.) and declares the F-104 to be the closest of all the American century-series

fighters to the Lightning in climb rate and speed, but its minimum area, highly loaded and very thin wing limmited it capability in manoeuvering below 500 kts due to buffet. His final comments..... "Apart from the excellent vision and high performance, it had little to commend it as a modern fighter interceptor".

In fact the F-104 saw very limited service with the USAF, and they eventually sold it off as a low level strike aircraft (Scandle about bribes being paid even for that). 

The Lightning admittedly had its problems with fire in the 60's, but nothing compared to the F-104 ... in '62 the the Luftwaffe lost an F-104 for every 720 hours flown, sadly it's nickname "Widowmaker" was well earned.

My experience ?......... thirteen years man and boy as an engine tech, first Wattisham and then Binbrook. Still get to play with the ones at LPG Bruntingthorp :0)

• 2 weeks later...

I think the period of time that the F-104 was hatched was one of such rapid growth in technology that the qualities that it strove for were soon nearly matched by far more versatile aircraft.

It reminds me of the 1930's and the revolutionary light bombers that were faster than any fighter of the time.  Common sense said that that advantage would soon disappear.

On 5/31/2016 at 4:21 PM, Geoair said:

Lightning is the best ;)

Hi Geoff

No argument there.........I was at the Coldwar Jets openday on Sunday and I had a good look at the Starfighter.... those tiny wings are frightning .

Some nice screenshots you have put up on facebook, but I notice in those of  the F3  the gremlins have had a go at the ventral :o ! ( somehow the alpha texture got swapped for the F6 )

Please login to display this image.

The "lit_fuse_aft_T" texture in this zip will fix that, just drop it into the "texture.5"  folder , and the new " EElightning.mdl " placed in the "model" folder and will fix the over bright fin .

F3_5sqn tank fix.zip

Cheers

Dave R

Archived