Mega Airport Prague - advisory thread

Premek

Hi Kai

It modifies some of the SPB files. And yes, there is interference with ORBX. But only in case user installs ORBX after our stuff.

The difference is that ORBX simple re-writes default files (what is NOT good practice). We modify them (what is good practice).

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like we identified the AutogenModifier issue and hopefully new installer should be available in next few days.

• Deputy Sheriffs
Vor 1 Stunde, Premek sagte:

Hi Kai

It modifies some of the SPB files. And yes, there is interference with ORBX. But only in case user installs ORBX after our stuff.

The difference is that ORBX simple re-writes default files (what is NOT good practice). We modify them (what is good practice).

Hi, have you thought about this tool?

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forums/autogen-configuration-merger.147/

I use it in combination with FranceVFR. Every time I update ORBX, this tool checks at every start of P3D if all Autogen entries are there and then merges them. It's very comfortable. Therefor you would have just to place your Autogen entries in an Autogen folder in your Airport root folder like the scenery and texture folder.

In my opinion is that the best way for developers to handle Autogen.

another point: Just ask ORBX, if they can include your Autogen entries in their files. They have the entries of almost every developer in their files except FranceVFR who doesn't want that.

2 minutes ago, M.A.P. said:

Will the new installer address the AFCAD issues? (AI won´t taking off RWY 12, AI backing up TWY B after landing on RWY 24)

No - didn't get to it yet.

vor 4 Minuten, masterhawk sagte:

another point: Just ask ORBX, if they can include your Autogen entries in their files. They have the entries of almost every developer in their files except FranceVFR who doesn't want that.

ORBX' John Venema stated they will gladly integrate 3rd party Autogen entries indeed, and that's what they have been doing so far for many sceneries.

Kind regards, Michael

27 minutes ago, Airbusfan EDDM said:

Good news. I have buy on First Day. FSX normal. And much trouble. Mit Zusatz ACC.

Sorry - could not follow you.

23 minutes ago, masterhawk said:

Hi, have you thought about this tool?

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forums/autogen-configuration-merger.147/

I use it in combination with FranceVFR. Every time I update ORBX, this tool checks at every start of P3D if all Autogen entries are there and then merges them. It's very comfortable. Therefor you would have just to place your Autogen entries in an Autogen folder in your Airport root folder like the scenery and texture folder.

In my opinion is that the best way for developers to handle Autogen.

14 minutes ago, pmb said:

ORBX' John Venema stated they will gladly integrate 3rd party Autogen entries indeed, and that's what they have been doing so far for many sceneries.

Kind regards, Michael

Guys - why should we even consider this?

It's ORBX fault they don't know how to modify SPB files.

Hi Premek,

Michael are right absolutely. Please, please try to contact ORBX. Otherwise, everytime I switch to an ORBX-region and back to global I will have the standard autogenfiles without your modifications. And I don't like to install your scenery again after that every time  or put a backuped file into the autogenfolder. Yes I remember the same problems I have had with SantoriniX in FSX. Its autogen was vanished everytime after changing the region in ORBX.

For P3Dv3 it would be very helpful to use its new structure where you can create separate autogenfolders with pointing out in c:\programdata\lockheed martin\prepar3d v3\autogen.cfg. Easy and I think comfortable for you too.

Kai

vor 9 Minuten, Premek sagte:

Because it's for the benefit of the user, if that matters. Even Aerosoft's old VFR Germany has the entries included.

Kind regards, Michael

Kai - do you see a logic in what you wrote? Why should I contact someone who does not know how to do things proper way?

You are seriously? You meant they are not able to modify these files? Didn't you read the posts from Michael where he tells for which addons they put in the entries already? I don't want to compare the knowledge of ORBX, who made sceneries for more than 10 years and yours, but I think, they are at the same level as you at least.

Kai

Premek, I don't know if you are developing alone or with a team. I recommend  to talk with other stuff from AS tomorrow without restless to hear their opinions how to handle this. Please don't put out a solution which makes the handling of the sim in conjunction with Prague more complicated than now.

vor 15 Minuten, Premek sagte:

Sorry - could not follow you.

Sorry to say this:  It would be best to never ever change files in the autogen folder!!!!!!!!

That's all shit, coz there is no standard in changing this files and it's impossible for a user to keep files up tp date in this folder. Every developer change things here at whim without thinking about the consequences. :(

Bernhard

4 minutes ago, BernhardS said:

Sorry to say this:  It would be best to never ever change files in the autogen folder!!!!!!!!

That's all shit, coz there is no standard in changing this files and it's impossible for a user to keep files up tp date in this folder. Every developer change things here at whim without thinking about the consequences. :(

Bernhard

Sorry Bernhard, but you are not right.

The only proper way is to modify files WITHOUT touching all the other content. And we do it that way.

Wrong way is ORBX replacing those files - that is wrong exactly for the reasons you say.

Guys, please do not mess this thread with philosophic discussions. This should be only bug-fixing thread. Thanks for understanding.

• Deputy Sheriffs
vor 20 Minuten, Premek sagte:

Hi, that would be the best way for the less experienced user. You would get less questions, with what's happening with you airport. Your argument sounds similar to FranceVFR. But ORBX haven't changed their policy since years. I don't think that they will suddenly change it now, because there is a new player. The easiest way for the user, to get the most out of the simulator would be if the developers work together. If that means you have to give them an xml file with your entries, so please do it. It's not like giving them your source material of the whole scenery.

All big developers are in with ORBX. For example:

29palms, fly logic, flytampa, fsdg, aero soft.

by the way, your scenery is great.

4 minutes ago, Premek said:

Guys, please do not mess this thread with philosophic discussions. This should be only bug-fixing thread. Thanks for understanding.

Again - please stop debate about this in this thread.

vor 20 Stunden , Premek sagte:

Hi all

An update on GSX issues.

The ground poly and jetways objects are killed by GSX in a moment when user press Ctrl+12 and requests deboarding for instance.

I sent information about this to Umberto and as he is usualy very quick and helpful in his responsis I believe should have more info soon.

Stay tuned ;-)

I also have this Autogen error during installation and do not use GSX. So why these objects are missing?

GreeTz

6 hours ago, Premek said:

No, it has nothing to do with the AFCAD.

I expect this picture was taken as you flew by with another aircraft. One of the thing the APC does is that it is lifting the ground poly to avoid flickering of GP when you are in higher altitudes. And this what you see is lifted ground poly.

Interesting..okay, good to know. Sounds abit like the FSDT approach on their JFK & LAX work

2 minutes ago, bradley27 said:

Interesting..okay, good to know. Sounds abit like the FSDT approach on their JFK & LAX work

Yes, it is somehow similar to what FSDT uses even though we use different mechanism to achieve this.

@Premek and all the other contributors to this forum -

• I know nothing about scenery design or coding but I do know about software installation and maintaining a PC in good condition.
  • FSX (with all its limitations) has been around for quite a while and no doubt ORBX gave it a facelift that is pretty much a standard installation within FSX and that too has been the case for quite a while.

Then came scenery design companies like FlyTampa, Digital Design, UK2000, RFSB and a few others with excellent airport sceneries ... easy to install, easy on the FPS, lots of detail and with configuration tools that makes it even more easy to custom make the level of detail. No huzz no fuzz just simple and straight forward. Aerosoft however, took the road with APC and ever since Split there has been some issues. Zurich v2 is a FPS killer and Berlin Tegel is nothing but a FPS disaster and although FPS is not directly linked to APC, the "APC has stopped working" coupled with scenery that has a problem with about everything around it, has made the last few purchases from Aerosoft a painful experience. Then came the long awaited Prague scenery and boy-oh-boy I was looking forward to it ... and while my FSX was running smoothly with absolutely no problems at all (Zurich back to V1 and Berlin back to German Airports 3) ... and all of a sudden all the "problems" with APC are back.

I can't judge what scenery development where and how is the "best road to take" all I want is to install the scenery. I don't want to fiddle with *.cfg and *.xml files. I don't want to start something manually in the background and I don't want to see a window that something has stopped working. I have ± 180 payware sceneries installed in FSX that I've collected over the last 6/7 years. EVERYTHING is working 100% except the few Aerosoft airports that has now taken the APC route.

If it was only me and some system setup problem, then I am more then capable of fixing it and it would have been sorted out a long time ago but it isn't - four pages within 4 days on this forum alone of people having trouble with the scenery.

With all do respect Premek and Aerosoft, but if FlyTampa (just to name one) can give us large airports like Kastrup, Vienna and Athens with NO problems whatsoever then maybe there is something to learn that within the limitations of FSX as a 32bit and with a 4Gb VAS window there is just so much you can do and nothing more.

And this is my take on it. It will not help to yell "FIX IT!!" because hours and hours have been spend to design the sceneries and it cannot be undone. The only way now is to wait and see if Aerosoft can come up with something more FSX friendly in the future or wait until one of the above mentioned scenery design houses release their own version of the same airports. Sad for me to say "Well bye bye Euros" (especially with our exchange rate!) but then so be it.

Pardon my long lamentation.

Regards

Terblanche

@Premek Hello there Thanks for all the support on fixing the Scenery issues. I just wanted to know how to use the jet ways at the airport as If I try to open APC it doesn't show a window and Cntr+J doesn't work.

Any help is appricated. :D

Thanks for the help,

Steidav

• Premek locked this topic

Archived