Radar operation

William G

I am a bit hazy on the operation of the radar.  I am able to  track a target after going to phase change.

Is this considered "locking on" ?   I get the A and the in range dot on the HUD and the radar appears as it should in 80/40 and 40/10 but I never get a steering dot or any shift out of the 40/10

If I am tracking but not locked on, how do I go about getting locked on?

19 hours ago, William G said:

I am a bit hazy on the operation of the radar.  I am able to  track a target after going to phase change.

Is this considered "locking on" ?   I get the A and the in range dot on the HUD and the radar appears as it should in 80/40 and 40/10 but I never get a steering dot or any shift out of the 40/10

If I am tracking but not locked on, how do I go about getting locked on?

Hi William

In search mode the radar sweeps from side to side  . when you have found a target and initiated the phase change the radar ceases to sweep and locks onto the target, this is Radar lock-on,

at the same time the missile seeker head is slaved to the radar ,so is directed to look towards the target., if the infra red source is sufficient the missile will acquire ,ie.Missile lock-on.

If the target has ECM it would get a warning of  the Radar lock-on and employ counter measures ,so operationally the targetting pase was left as late as possible . without the missile seeker head being slaved to the radar it will simply look straight ahead...but if that is where the target is it will still acquire . The missiles have a detection range of around 7 miles and a flight range of about 3 miles ( depends very much on target speed and direction.)

When the missiles acquire a target you get the event 1 and event 2  lights on the arming panel and the CRT. if LFS is selected you will also get the A in the sight glass. When in range you get the dot in the LFS and the solid ring on the CRT . If LFS is selected the steering dot is removed from the radar screen .(if you are using open sights you must be able to see the target !)

To change from 40/10 to 10/0 press the button in the centre of the wheel at the top of the hand controller

I hope that clears the haze a bit! :0)

Cheers

Dave R

Thanks, it was the removal of the steering dot when using the LFS that was perplexing me.   

I am enjoying the F-6 , I hardly know what to do with all this extra fuel!

Archived