Is the A330-200 more interesting than the A330-300?

The Dude

It really is subjective, I mean, it varies according to someones hometown for example which thus includes his hometown airline or a airline that he took and found that the service done by this airline was more enjoyable then others or maybe even the only service he may have encountered and loved directly. It really is a debate to no end.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Well said. My airline only flies the A333 so in my opinion I am perfectly happy with just the RR A333. But the more the merier, having a visual model of all variants would be nice. 

How about only the visual models and not the engine performance etc btw? What are the views on this? Absolutely a nono or ok-ish?

A visual model of all would be nice indeed. I for one am from the Caribbean so Air Caraïbes or Corsair are some of the A330's that comes to mind (there is also Delta or American Airlines at SXM or Virgin at Barbados or Antigua etc..) So It's really a various thing for me. Though if I had to choose, since I only took Air Caraïbes and Corsair and I prefer Air Caraïbes in terms of A330-300 so PW for the engines. If it were Corsair my favorite, it would be A330-200/300 RR engines (same as Virgin Atlantic by the way).

I guess in a way, even I didn't get the A330 PW, I would still be happy because there is the second airline that I like that uses it. And seeing as I like Lufthansa, Virgin Atlantic and Singapore Airlines (visually speaking), the choices of flights are endless !

Seeing what Aerosoft will decide in the end will be very interesting and no matter what they choose I'll still be happy to have a realistic A330 !

@ The Dude ,

Exactly the same was done with the AirbusX , the CFM and IAE engine variants were made but the data for the CFM was used . Look how long it took before that was sorted out ( I am being positive here ) . Having actually read the previous preview thread , I thought that the main problem was not having the actual performace data for the other engines .

EDIT :

Forgot to add that whatever version ( or versions ) Aerosoft release there will be paints made that are either " accurate " or " fictional " and will be dowloaded anyway .

• Deputy Sheriffs

Yeah, I was/am part of the IAE team that brought you the latest A320FAM installment. 

Perf data for the other engines are the biggest problem if we want to make the A330 as real as it gets. 

First of all, thanks, Frank, for opening this topic.

Secondly, I would wholeheartedly welcome visual models of other A330 variants without performance data, and even more so if they got updated with the performance data at a later stage or in a later product. Even if I wouldn't die as a depressed man if I only had the A333 RR (especially since my home flag carrier Lufthansa operates them), it would be great to see other variants as well. 

That said, it must be already quite a task to design only the visual models of all six major A330 passenger variants (A332 GE, A332 PW, A332 RR, A333 GE, A333 PW, A333 RR). I assume that that alone would take several months, right? Acquiring and adding performance data is probably all the more complicated and time-consuming. Can you give us any insight on how the time schedules usually differ when one only designs a visual model as opposed to a complete model with performance data?

But in any case, that's why I get the point that designing more than only one A330 variant for the initial release is not a trivial and self-evident thing.

I just wished Aerosoft had adopted the same logic for the A330 like they did for the A32F. In the A32F series they provided us with different models and engine types. I would love to see that happen to the A330 (A330-200, -300 and its engine variants). Just my opinion though...

As far as I know, nobody at Aerosoft claimed other engine variants aren't possible, neither is the -200.

What they claimed is that the initial release will consist of the A333 with RR engines, and that they don't have any plans after that concerning the A330.

If you look at the stunning succes the A320 family was for them, and the many iterations it went through, do you really think that the initial release of the A330 will also be the final release? I highly, highly doubt that.

And, to answer your question: I don't really care either way. The airline I "like" flies all three engine types (although the RR engines are a very recent addition) on the A333. For other airlines, I couldn't really care either way.

While it would be nice to have all engine models and variants, it won't be a deal-breaker for me if it didn't happen.

5 hours ago, The Dude said:

Well said. My airline only flies the A333 so in my opinion I am perfectly happy with just the RR A333. But the more the merier, having a visual model of all variants would be nice. 

How about only the visual models and not the engine performance etc btw? What are the views on this? Absolutely a nono or ok-ish?

Personally I wouldn't mind at all having a different visual model with the same engine performance and, if Aerosoft decided to continue the -200 development, the visual model would be done already.

4 hours ago, The Dude said:

Yeah, I was/am part of the IAE team that brought you the latest A320FAM installment. 

Perf data for the other engines are the biggest problem if we want to make the A330 as real as it gets. 

But isn't Aerosoft planning on making a medium-priced A330 only simulating the daily job of a captain? I guess calling it "as real as it gets" is misleading here.

• Aerosoft

On other models, engines etc etc. The simple fact is that getting this first version done is a massive task, one I want to complete before deciding what to do next. Any discussion on projects not announced will be read but almost never responded to.

If you feel we make a horrible mistake we will probably find out when you do not buy it.

In my opinion the A330-200 is not more, but also not less interesting. Both are equally interesting and I feel like a complete package should include them both.

Just like with the old Aerosoft A320/A321 package (before the current was released), I always had the feeling that the package was not complete without the A318/A319. The current version put that right, but it was a long while there was only the A320/A321 and not the A318/A319 so back then the package was not complete. This has nothing to do with interesting since the A320/A321 is certainly an interesting plane but so is the A318/A319. The same goes for the bigger ones. Doing only one of them would make half the package, doing them both would make a full package.

45 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Ahhh well then you will not buy it. 

Don't get me wrong. I'm buying this product when it comes out. I'm really looking forward to a proper A330. I was just expressing my own opinion about the 200 series.

• Aerosoft

If you define 'as real as it gets' we'll talk. For starters look to the other seat in the cockpit. In every airliner I know that seat is empty. Now that is a complete person missing from the cockpit and that makes even taxying illegal. 

If you feel these marketing terms are misleading you have a extremely busy life ahead of you. I feel it is nothing more than trolling our forum.

Personally, with the A332 being the only variant I have flown in, and only variant flown by VA, JQ, HA and QF domestic (possible but rare to see the A333 in domestic use) I was most excited for this model, so naturally a bit disappointed when it came out the only model was the 300. Obviously this is a selfish observation and I understand that it's easier on the developers to get to an initial release and then build on it once it's out. It should also mean less time until it gets in our hands. I bought the A320 3 years ago this month, just look at how far that product line has come since then. 

One thing that was done with the A320/A321 was visual models for both engine types, even though only one was simulated. It would be nice if the same thing was done with this A330 from the perspective that any liveries will be getting applied to the correct model, and won't need to be updated/remade if any other engine types are introduced. Then in the future if any additional engines are simulated it will pretty much be plug and play from the customer perspective. It also has a mental effect that even though the displays are technically wrong, having the right engine type on the external is more satisfying for those of us who like to take things seriously.  Looking at  a QF A333 with RR engines just seems wrong lol. Though I have no clue about modelling and I don't know how much extra work it takes to change the engine type on the outside. My assumption is that 95% is the same and doesn't need to be remodelled, it's mostly just the engine/ pylon that need to change. I'm possibly completely wrong here though.   

• 1 year later...

I gotta agree with what Blackbird971 said. My hometown doesn't operate any A330s (In fact we don't have airline at all ) wierd ha !!

but my first A330 flight was Philippine Airlines A330-300RR (they have both RR & GE) and I was amazed by the look, shape and the paint of that bird. I remember my seat was 46k  which has the full view of the Right Engine (What a view!!!) and for 10 hours I didn't stare away from that engine (I didn't even wanna blink). and the most thing that attracts me to the RR engines is the Reverse and the way it operates reminds me of the sunflower, except the red color inside. 

so for me, I'm 100000000000% happy with the initial release and I ain't gonna complain a bit. 

Photo By Me.

Please login to display this image.

Archived