EROPS ETP Fuel Required and Fuel Remaining Error - not enough fuel planned

Hi all,

I am having problems understanding what PFPX is up to here.  Basically I have tried several different fuel policies, aircraft, and airport scenarios (default ones), but I am running in the same problem:

PFPX fuel required leaves me with only a couple of hundred kilos remaining after an ETOPS emergency descent!

Have a look here:

DPE ETP 1 FOR YPAD/YPPH                           S34 28.0 E126 39.2   EET 03:50
EMER DESC TO FL100 CRUISE AT 1EO310               83 NM BEFORE LUCRE
PLN FUEL OVER ETP 5674     ETP FUEL REQ 5674       176   DIV TIME 01:37
ETP TO YPAD (S34 56.7 E138 31.8)   DIST  590 NM   WC TL008   TT 096
ETP TO YPPH (S31 56.4 E115 58.0)   DIST  555 NM   WC HD008   TT 283

It says fuel required is 5674kg at that ETP.  The next field (highlighted in red above), I added to PFPX's default template to see how much I am landing with after this scenario.  It is <&ETPLandFuel>  It says 176kg!  This is for a Boeing 737, whose fixed reserve is around 1100kg!

Is anyone else noticing this problem?  It's not immediately obvious PFPX is not giving you enough fuel until you use this field to see how much fuel will be left.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!

Cheers guys,

Rudy

Hey again, just giving this a bump.  I am starting to think it might be a bug rather than something I am doing?

Cheers,

Rudy

Welcome to ETOPS flight planning.  Real world systems do this too. If you want to land with a given FOB after an emergency diversion, you need to manually add it.  The FPS is only going to respect the ETOPS fuel required.  The required ETOPS fuel scenario requires you to be able to land with 15 mins FOB - which is what PFPX is doing. In your example, that would be a part of the 5674.

Ah, I THINK I get you, Doug.

Let me get this straight:

The ETOPS "Fuel Required" figure includes both the diversion trip fuel AND whatever reserve is specified in the fuel policy under ETOPS Reserve Fuel?  And the "ETP Land" fuel figure is what you will land with after diverting AND burning through all of the ETOPS reserve fuel specified in the fuel policy (hence not very much fuel left!)?

Cheers,

Rudy

PS I ought to say thanks for your help a few years ago with those Qantas OFPs.  Without some of your help, they wouldn't be anywhere near as accurate :)

Archived