Mathijs Kok

Aerosoft A318/A319/A320/A321/A330 Professional Preview

vor 17 Minuten, Alan_A sagte:

Wanted to take a moment to thank you for this post - it crystallizes something that's been on my mind, but that I haven't been able to put together on my own.  From time to time I feel the pull toward the very complex "deep dive" sims.  One reason I haven't succeeded with them is the obvious one - lack of time.  But the other, which I realized after reading this, is that I don't want to make the compromises I'd need to run them.  I've been thinking seriously about buying the FSL Bus, and it looks absolutely wonderful.  But when I read about the recommended settings, it's a dealbreaker.  I love flying in a fully populated world, with AI aircraft, road traffic, Henrik Nielsen's wonderful ships and a handful of detailed airports.  I'm fascinated by aircraft systems and love authenticity - but not so much that I'm willing to turn everything else off.  I can see why somebody would be so fascinated with every detail of the Bus that he or she would be willing to go the FSL route and fly it over a relatively barren world.  But that's not me.  So I'm grateful you guys get it, and that somebody out there is willing and able to take a balanced approach.  Am currently finishing a migration from FSX:SE to P3D - will be installing your Busses this afternoon, and will be looking forward to your A330 when it lands.  

I couldn't agree more. The environment adds so much to the overall immersion. Flying from an empty ghost airport (with no AI traffic) into a rather barren world can really break the deal. I get it that some folks love the system and IFR aspect of flight but for me the best aspects of flightsim are flying beautiful approaches, enjoying the actual environment like clouds, mountains etc. and landing at airports that actually feel alive. I think the automated first officer in the current A320 series and the upcoming A330 add significantly to the immersion. Now turn on the connected flightdeck feature, get on VATSIM or IVAO and there's really not much you can do more in a desktop sim to come closer to the real deal. 

I also have a strong feeling that the A330 will be a big leap forward from the current busses when it comes to immersion. 

I agree with both you guys, and could have written exactly what you both did.

For the past 12 years, we at OVPA have spent a GREAT deal of time on both Immersion and Realism - it's everything to us.  This is why we spent so much time on everyone's sims, and learning the intricacies of the Leonardo Maddog MD-80, Dash 8 Pro, and Aerosoft Airbus, and mastering shared cockpit and CRM.

Excellent posts guys.

31 minutes ago, CRJ900 said:

I think the automated first officer in the current A320 series and the upcoming A330 add significantly to the immersion.

Agreed.  I find I also gravitate to the "crewed" A2A aircraft - the B-17, the B-377 and, I suppose, the future Constellation.  They - along with the Aerosoft busses - seem to produce my most memorable flights.  Immersion again.  I don't feel that way about the third-pary crew add-ons, though - they're more task-oriented and I always wind up feeling that they're another thing, maybe the one thing too many, to manage.  In this case, too, I get the appeal, but it's just not for me.

@DaveCT2003 - immersion is an interesting subject in general, and probably doesn't get enough respect.  I'd think it'd have to have its own kind of training value, though.  In any case, definitely a personal priority.

6 hours ago, nairolf123456 said:

this isnt the aerosoft one... its a real one..

Hehe, I thought the dirt layer was good. :rolleyes:

22 hours ago, Alan_A said:

Agreed.  I find I also gravitate to the "crewed" A2A aircraft - the B-17, the B-377 and, I suppose, the future Constellation.  They - along with the Aerosoft busses - seem to produce my most memorable flights.  Immersion again.  I don't feel that way about the third-pary crew add-ons, though - they're more task-oriented and I always wind up feeling that they're another thing, maybe the one thing too many, to manage.  In this case, too, I get the appeal, but it's just not for me.

@DaveCT2003 - immersion is an interesting subject in general, and probably doesn't get enough respect.  I'd think it'd have to have its own kind of training value, though.  In any case, definitely a personal priority.

The copilot that comes with Aerosoft's airbus is actually surprisingly very good (because it isn't that much advertised as an important thing part of the product)! Now I only fly big iron aircraft that I can operate with that third party crew addon - FS2Crew. The sense of real world fidelity is irreplaceable. Still many times I leave my FS2Crew copilot resting and go with the Aerosoft's one. It is actually a bit more detailed in procedures (probably both developers went with different SOPs) and that greater interactivity with AS's copilot makes flights even more interesting than with FS2Crew.

@Alan_A - Regarding the extra weight of having to use a Crew addon let me say this: appart from the Airbus, the aircraft I fly most is PMDG's old MD11, on my monthly cargo missions for my VA. Despite it's depth of detail, I fly it "aerosoft's style" - reproducing normal ops only. And having a crew streamlines ops even more, so using a crew addon only feels like a burden on the first flight, when you're learning how to interact with it. After you mechanize it... it becomes even more easy to manage the aircraft. For example, all the before take-off checks are made by my copilot, while I am replying to ATC and lining up for take off. Same thing after landing. 

@Kihew - thanks, very helpful, I might need to give FS2Crew another try, maybe in the Q400, which needs extra hands, or in the Aerosoft buses, where it's possible to do a side-by-side-by-side of the native copilot, FS2Crew and Multi-Crew Experience.

BTW, I see we started simming the same year (MSFS for Apple Macintosh, in my case).

I don't want to divert this thread any more than I already have, so I'll exit by saying that I'll be eager to see what the A330 has to offer in the immersion department.  

Whenever it arrives, that is... B)

14 hours ago, Kihew said:

The copilot that comes with Aerosoft's airbus is actually surprisingly very good (because it isn't that much advertised as an important thing part of the product)! Now I only fly big iron aircraft that I can operate with that third party crew addon - FS2Crew. The sense of real world fidelity is irreplaceable. Still many times I leave my FS2Crew copilot resting and go with the Aerosoft's one. It is actually a bit more detailed in procedures (probably both developers went with different SOPs) and that greater interactivity with AS's copilot makes flights even more interesting than with FS2Crew.

@Alan_A - Regarding the extra weight of having to use a Crew addon let me say this: appart from the Airbus, the aircraft I fly most is PMDG's old MD11, on my monthly cargo missions for my VA. Despite it's depth of detail, I fly it "aerosoft's style" - reproducing normal ops only. And having a crew streamlines ops even more, so using a crew addon only feels like a burden on the first flight, when you're learning how to interact with it. After you mechanize it... it becomes even more easy to manage the aircraft. For example, all the before take-off checks are made by my copilot, while I am replying to ATC and lining up for take off. Same thing after landing. 

Same for many of us I think. The Co-pilot got me up and flying almost immediately.   I have done hundreds of flights in the A320 etc, and I am pretty confident with it and could do the checks with out it I still use him.  It might be nice to get some more voices, but I enjoy their familiarity.

1 minute ago, Dudley said:

It might be nice to get some more voices, but I enjoy their familiarity.

Beside the voice sets being provided by Aerosoft it would also be possible for the community to provide such sets. That actually happened back then with the Airbus X Extended.

9 hours ago, Alan_A said:

@Kihew - thanks, very helpful, I might need to give FS2Crew another try, maybe in the Q400, which needs extra hands, or in the Aerosoft buses, where it's possible to do a side-by-side-by-side of the native copilot, FS2Crew and Multi-Crew Experience.

BTW, I see we started simming the same year (MSFS for Apple Macintosh, in my case).

I don't want to divert this thread any more than I already have, so I'll exit by saying that I'll be eager to see what the A330 has to offer in the immersion department.  

Whenever it arrives, that is... B)

Ah, I think we can say we're already oldtimers in the hobby, Alan. And before this thread deviates back to the original destination I'd like to say I began flightsimming on the Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48Kb RAM. It was an UK made PC that used casette tapes for storage. :) My fav sim was "Psion Flight Simulator". It was civil, no guns or jets, scenery was just a dark blue land under a cyan sky, had 3 runways defined by dots and 2 cyan geometric lakes - circular and triangle lakes :). Imagination did the rest for immersion (and it worked wonderful, something perhaps younger generations may not understand). 

Back on topic, sorry about the hijacking :) 

Hi guys,

Looking closer at the pics of the flight deck, I can see a lot of work has been done to make this flight deck worn out and even pretty dirty (big stains of coffee on the pedestal!!). Well it looks great but it looks like this 330 is at least 20 years old even if retrofitted with LCDs... Is there any chance to have another set of textures for people who prefer flying aircraft not factory new but cleaner?

The oldest 330 in my company is 21 years old and is a cleaner than this one lol. Getting into this flightdeck would just think the the crew before me are careless guys spilling coffee everywhere. That's why we always pass the drinks on the out side of the seat, never over the pedestal to make sure we don't spill on the pedestal. ;)

Maybe Aerosoft can hand out some virtual wet wipes and kleenexes at release time for all who want to clean up the cockpit first before they take their first flight. ;)

Just kidding. Seriously, maybe some user or someone connected to Aerosoft will take the time and create a new set of cockpit textures at a later stage? The same happened for the A320 family, when Emi (Emanuel Hagen) uploaded a new set of cockpit textures here in this forum.

But I for my part am happy that Aerosoft take such a realistic approach to their cockpit texturing and recreate the cockpit which they had access to as closely to reality as possible, including coffee stains. ;) Many A330s have been in service for 10 or even 20 years now, so I think it's only appropriate that the cockpit of Aerosoft's A330 will show a lot of according wear and tear. That said, kudos to your company and its high hygienic standards. ;)

Captrem: I doubt it looks like being 20 years old.

Parallely some will complain it is too clean, and seldom a factory fresh cockpit exists in reality. Also happend in the projects before....

You see different people have fully different SUBJECTIVE feelings and ways to express this. Because subjective things come hardly together, those discussions will be endless. And time is value.

We can release a set especially for you without the coffee stains! Is that a deal? We will label it "Captrem antiseptic variant"!

On the other hand, Airbus are still manufacturing this brilliant plane, and some of us would prefere to fly a "new" aircraft. Perhaps provide us with a choice ?.

Regards.

I think that when the paintkit arrives, we will be able to have everything from factory fresh to shabby chic.

Captrem: Please define dirt (beside the coffee stains of course) on hand of images. We use here only words, still empty symbols. I there is something special that is not right in your eyes, please point me directly towards it!

32 minutes ago, captrem said:

I also think customers should have the choice to either fly a new aircraft or a really old one...

At a certain pricelevel yes, that is not the pricelevel we aim for though.

While this discussion has merit, it may be secondary - first of all we all want to see the A330 rolling out of the hangar. Alternative sets of textures, like Dudley has said, will surely become available thanks to gifted people that will tackle the paintkit. we shouldn't expect the designers spending extra time working on what already looks like top notch texturing.

But it's good to live in an era where we can complain about too many coffee stains in the cockpit of our simulated aircraft.

Edit:

(Maybe in a near future the dirt will become interactive, like fuselage staining, increasing bugs on the windshield - this was experimented sometime in FS98 era, I think - and cockpit staining; and after AES cleaning crew leaves your cockpit is left sparkling!)

Why not start with a new cockpit and then make it dirty with the paint kit later then? Why are we doing the opposite??

Anyways, at least the seats look brand new! 

Captrem, just be patient, I'm willing to bet my last dollar that there will be a repainter who will give us an alternative set of VC textures. Personally I'm a fan of the dirt effects and all. But that being said, I'd of course love to fly a delivery flight in a clean, factory fresh aircraft.

Also it's almost Friday so lets hope Stef has some previews of what he's been up too for the past 2 weeks;)

47 minutes ago, captrem said:

Why not start with a new cockpit and then make it dirty with the paint kit later then? Why are we doing the opposite??

Maybe because Aerosoft knows from experience that the majority of their customers want it they way they are doing it? Just a thought...

I am not familiar with forum tools, but one of my post was deleted without explanation and text replaced. :( 

To answer your question, I define dirt dirt as the stain on the pedestal, next to the park brake, the printer, on the MCDU keys, as well as the traces around the push buttons and knobs on the FCU. The wear out are quite exaggerated.

for example the attached picture. This flight deck is 21 years old and you can't see any traces described above and visible on the A330:

image.jpeg

vor 16 Minuten, captrem sagte:

I am not familiar with forum tools, but one of my post was deleted without explanation and text replaced. :( 

To answer your question, I define dirt dirt as the stain on the pedestal, next to the park brake, the printer, on the MCDU keys, as well as the traces around the push buttons and knobs on the FCU. The wear out are quite exaggerated.

for example the attached picture. This flight deck is 21 years old and you can't see any traces described above and visible on the A330:

image.jpeg

The difference to our forum images is of course THE SIZE OF DETAIL. We are brave enough to show what we did in detail too, we have nothing to hide!

Your image is much smaller and any details so less obvious. When we compare, then please to comparable things. Coffee stains will be removed (Captrem option will be officially announced later), but look at that little dirty special panel left of the 3rd MCDU, just where the main keys begin: Man, that i call worn and dirty.

But is such a thing allowed in reality? I just had to read, that at your company even 21 year old cockpits would look factory new? So i am very sorry, dont take this as any offense from my side (as my photo shows i am a rather kind guy), but you must deliver more to convince me! FACTS. If that happend, no long discussion, things gonna be changed!

Addition:

I checked the image again: There are scratches on the glareshield (right end of the FCU). Is that now a new Airbus factory option for vintage friends?

Stay tuned...i will observe the image further, maybe more additions to come...