Mathijs Kok

Aerosoft A318/A319/A320/A321/A330 Professional Preview

2 minutes ago, AdriEscobar said:

I think or hope that a fully functional ECAM ADVISORY and STATUS page is integrated and "as realistic as possible" to simulate an emergency situation or an abnormal procedure is fundamental to the crew. The details of the textures are fine, but many people expect a good A330, not just textures but simulation.

As with the current A31x/32x series there will be only SOP implemented, no emergencies.

2 hours ago, AdriEscobar said:

to simulate an emergency situation or an abnormal procedure is fundamental to the crew.

I have flown 6000 hours in an Airbus now and apart from an engine starter that just did not work, an APU auto shutdown and the occasional HP bleedvalve problems on ground I had zero inflight problems. That is simply as real as it gets. 

There is another product out there that does the abnormal part. I think highly of their efforts but have not found an abnormal that did not have a bug, problem or works exactly like it should. Their latest update has even less failures modeled.

Apart from just doing a few ECAM actions (the easy part) there is a lot more about abnormals. Here it starts to get interesting. But without performance charts, second crewmember, QRH, expanded checklists or an "how to" it gets very unrealistic in an hurry. This goes for almost any add on. 

AS is trying to simulate the A330 as it is flown every day in the RW without any failures. Augment that with the connected flight deck and online ATC/traffic and you get a pretty good representation of what goes on IRL. 

5 hours ago, captrem said:

We we are going back to the coffee stains on the pedestal argument.... Aerosoft don't make this 330 a flying garbage!!

I think you are trying to make a point by exaggeration.

I do not feel that showing a cup of coffee, smartphone, newspaper and some documents between the throttles is the same as flying garbage. If you do indeed fly these aircraft professionally you know that we only show a fraction of the stuff that is around in cruise. You say you fly these aircraft professionally, are you also saying you do not drink coffee, read a newspaper, do something on your phone in cruise or store documents between the throttles before startup?  If not do you even extend the tray table?

Remember that is all we do, and we can all document that that is reality with dozens of images. 

It's so easy to make personal items or other textures selectable in the config file, doesn't consume any real time or take much effort to provide this, so hopefully we'll be able to cater to everyone's preference for something like this - even in sim!

3 hours ago, nealmac said:

From memory, I think they use 3D Studio Max.

It is indeed (there is no other option). For bitmaps etc only Photoshop is used. All in all that is as few thousand euros a year in license cost, a big burden on any development. Just think about how many licenses we need in total with over 25 developers. It's these standard cost plus the ever increasing cost of license for sat imagery, brand licenses etc etc that drive up our prices. Our profit margin on a sale has nor increased in 6 years, in fact it has gone down!\

And still we will not play the game of driving up prices for add-ons, we feel it is not justified. We rather sell three at $40 then one at $120.

51 minutes ago, The Dude said:

There is another product out there that does the abnormal part. I think highly of their efforts but have not found an abnormal that did not have a bug, problem or works exactly like it should. Their latest update has even less failures modeled. 

And boy do we know why.... For some professional project we tried modeling the electrical system of an A320 fully. We wasted 5 months on that and in the end our simulation did not match the Airbus Industries simulation and that did not match the real aircraft reports

Hand on heart, I do not think there is any A320 simulation at any price that will guarantee it is simulating all systems correctly. Certainly not with the updates and changes that are inserted all the time (remember I was jealous when I found out FSL modelled a rather outdated A320 and not a modern Lufthansa, Easyjet, Air France one. They made a great decision there that avoids a lot of complexity without sacrificing realism. But even those less complex systems are simply proving too much for an FS addon.

And keep in mind, a lot of what they simulate, simply NEVER has happened on the real aircraft. APU fire, cargo hold smoke, we could list hundreds of events that simply never happened in the 200 million plus hours that this aircraft type has flown. That's why we will refund any customer who finds an issue when our product will behave incorrectly when both engines fail in our realistic failure mode. It happened one single time in 200 million plus hours. If it does not happen to you in, let's say 300 million hours, we'll refund. Gladly. If you flown 300.000.000 hours in our Airbus you are a hero!

vor 30 Minuten, Lennart1948 sagte:

Hey Mathijs I was wondering if you could give us a time span in which we can expect it 

Greetings

Everyone is asking for this ;D

53 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

For bitmaps etc only Photoshop is used. All in all that is as few thousand euros a year in license cost, a big burden on any development. Just think about how many licenses we need in total with over 25 developers.

It has probably been considered, but if not, it may be useful to investigate moving to GIMP for the bitmaps and texturing.  That would eliminate some licensing fees.  Of course there would be an initial "learning curve," but for the basic tasks this would be small.

The switch would also make repainting more accessible to the users.  Every time I do a repaint, my first steps are to load the photoshop files into GIMP, then adjust the layering. I continue on from there, working only with that program.  It has always been adequate for the purpose.

vor 1 minute, Lennart1948 sagte:

I know, it was ment more in an Ironic way ;)

:D

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

I have flown 6000 hours in an Airbus now and apart from an engine starter that just did not work, an APU auto shutdown and the occasional HP bleedvalve problems on ground I had zero inflight problems. That is simply as real as it gets. 

Apart from just doing a few ECAM actions (the easy part) there is a lot more about abnormals. Here it starts to get interesting. But without performance charts, second crewmember, QRH, expanded checklists or an "how to" it gets very unrealistic in an hurry. This goes for almost any add on. 

AS is trying to simulate the A330 as it is flown every day in the RW without any failures. Augment that with the connected flight deck and online ATC/traffic and you get a pretty good representation of what goes on IRL. 

Maybe I express wrong, of course to make it as real as possible is do it without fail, I refer to the functionality of the ECAM

34 minutes ago, AdriEscobar said:

Maybe I express wrong, of course to make it as real as possible is do it without fail, I refer to the functionality of the ECAM

We will model all functions of the ECAM that has to do with normal ops. No flashing green advisories and no primary and secondary failures. The status page will therefor mostly state NORMAL. The only abnormals modeled will be PACK 1 OFF, PACK 2 OFF, BRAKES HOT.

I hope it did understand you now and this answers your question.

11 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Both! Keep in mind most airlines do not allow the standard cleaning staff to clean the flight deck. 

We will however not show the amounts of dirt in the corners or the crumbs that Frank showed (lol), what we will do is make the flight deck look as much as a real one during a flight. A place where two people sit for many hours. People who eat and drink, read a newspaper and play candy crush.

Perhaps add and take away stuff as the flight progresses.

A330 will include the message procedure in the ecam ? Not emergency procedure just ecam message ? exemple : 

british-airways-airbus-a319-131-g-euob-flight-ba870-.jpg

20 hours ago, The Dude said:

The DCDU will remain blank until IVAO or Vatsim have their own CPDLC code. Hopie's code will not be used btw. 

You may as well say its not going to be implemented, given that both IVAO and VATSIM currently use the hoppies code, and neither network has any imediate indication of implementing their own system. 

7 hours ago, The Dude said:

Most simmers fly for a deep interest in all things aviation, they fly for enjoyment and escapism - they escape to the challenges that their normal lives do not cater for. Very few, if any, fly for the boredom that is the modern commercial transport.

The ' another product' alluded to in this comment is highly sought after because it offers a wide selection of random failures. People buy its products because it offers additional realism. Whether some statistician considers an event might happen once in every 200,000 hours does not mean that it does not happen. Aircraft manufactures cater for ALL possible eventualities as was attested, happily with a safe outcome, when a QANTAS A380 outbound from Singapore had a catastrophic engine failure; if Airbus had not catered for half of the aircraft's hydraulics failing, or for the leading edge slats and trailing flaps on one wing becoming inoperative or for a total engine failure all at the same time then the outcome of that incident would not have been quite so happy. 

The point is that people want realism as much as they want to escape and to that end most will buy, and pay the high prices for, realism.

I would much prefer to see realism in the aircraft itself than to have pasty crumbs and newspapers scattered about the flight deck. Natural wear and tear is part of the aeroplane but evidence that flight crew have been bored, as most of us are already aware, or of what they may have eaten during the flight is not.

On another note, very briefly; I tried to up flag a comment today but was advised that I can only do so once per day(?)!

As I read more than one post per day that is hardly fare or practical not only to me but to the people posting comments or to the wider forum users.

Hopefully that can be changed.

Mike

7 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

I think you are trying to make a point by exaggeration.

I do not feel that showing a cup of coffee, smartphone, newspaper and some documents between the throttles is the same as flying garbage. If you do indeed fly these aircraft professionally you know that we only show a fraction of the stuff that is around in cruise. You say you fly these aircraft professionally, are you also saying you do not drink coffee, read a newspaper, do something on your phone in cruise or store documents between the throttles before startup?  If not do you even extend the tray table?

Remember that is all we do, and we can all document that that is reality with dozens of images. 

Hi Mathis I think you misunderstood my post or perhaps I was not very clear.

I fully support documents between the throttle and even more the coffee cup with the newspaper which is the next thing to happen after you reach the cruise level!

These are great ideas of little things to add to make the cockpit more lively.

A few posts up I already gave you a big thumbs up. So you have my full support for this again.

What I didn't support however is thing that would make the flight deck look dirty: trash, crumbs, stains, mars bar wrapper on the floor... 

Thats is what I meant, sorry if it wasn't very clear in the first place. Keep up the good work with these immersion features!

I know it is not the purpose of Aerosoft to model emergency I understand and support this, however if you guys ever choose to model one, I would really like to have the engine failure after V1. Just saying...

8 hours ago, swaor said:

Everyone is asking for this ;D

The Answer is still  the same.........

Previews of Unreleased Products

See what Aerosoft is working on right now! Please do not ask for release dates because if we can say we would have posted it here and if we do not know we can't say. Any dates that are given should be seen as indications and not promises.

4 hours ago, Budlake said:

Most simmers fly for a deep interest in all things aviation, they fly for enjoyment and escapism - they escape to the challenges that their normal lives do not cater for. Very few, if any, fly for the boredom that is the modern commercial transport.

Makes sense - but not for all of us. My workday is more than challenging enough. In my (scarce) simming time, I'm happy to relax and get from point A to point B without undue excitement. Solid representation of the systems, yes. Alarms, diversions and late-night adrenaline rush, not so much. 

Oh, and before you write off modern commercial aviation as boredom, here's some recommended reading. Changed my mind, might change yours. A terrific book in any case. 

5 hours ago, TwixXiZ said:

A330 will include the message procedure in the ecam ? Not emergency procedure just ecam message ? exemple : 

Sorry, that would make no sense whatsoever. What you call message procedure is the same as "emergency" procedure or abnormal procedure. It is not just the text, these ECAM procedures are interactive with the systems IRL. 

Hmh, sorry .. I ask this beacause in the version Airbus X there was this notification, and in the Airbus A320 Family they are no longer there ^^

z.jpg

Yep, with the first version of the Airbus the idea was to model everything on a lite level. Therefor a lot of code was done and could also be seen in the product. But it was incorrect and incomplete. As you can also see in your picture. For the next versions it was decided to hide these ECAM actions and not put anymore resources in developing them. Here the idea of just doing normal, but more realistic, SOP was born. 

Sometimes you see some of this code appear in the current product as an bug though. ;)

Oh ok thank ^_^

I still had a question again in A330

Each light will be independent of its button? 

Screenshot_10.jpg