Shortcuts menu doesn't open manual

Bert Laverman

I installed SimStarter NG and wanted to read the manual. However, clicking the manual link in the shortcuts menu doesn't actually do anything, other than shortly putting the mouse in "wait" mode. The logbook doesn't show anything either.

Bert

• Deputy Sheriffs

There should be 2 links, one to the german and one to the english manual. Both work fine here.
 Do you run the installer as Administrator?

And what do you mean by:

6 minutes ago, Bert Laverman said:

The logbook doesn't show anything either.

Is it empty or is there no window at all?

I did not run the installer with a right-click, as it shows the admin shield on the icon and causes the "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your PC" popup immediately when I start it. That only happens for Admin-mode runs, so is the right-click and "Run as Admin" really necessary in Windows 10?

BTW I found 5 Adobe Reader processes in the task list and killed them. After that the manual was opened correctly.

My remark about the Logbook meant that there was an empty window with no messages to show.

• Deputy Sheriffs
6 minutes ago, Bert Laverman said:

My remark about the Logbook meant that there was an empty window with no messages to show.

Well, then there is nothing to show. But not sure when to show what.

1 hour ago, Bert Laverman said:

I did not run the installer with a right-click, as it shows the admin shield on the icon and causes the "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your PC" popup immediately when I start it. That only happens for Admin-mode runs, so is the right-click and "Run as Admin" really necessary in Windows 10?

BTW I found 5 Adobe Reader processes in the task list and killed them. After that the manual was opened correctly.

Hi Bert,

If you didn't during the install, then I would recommend that you reinstall SIMStarter specifying the "Run as Administrator' option. If Windows 10 has it, I use Windows 7.

SIMStarter needs to make changes because of Scenery, Clean Desk, Run Config, etc.  Don't worry, it's not going to do anything to system files, non flight sim files, etc. If you don't you're going to that shield message asking for approval.  

I've found it pretty common with FSX vendors to ask that applications be installed using the 'run as' option.

As for the logbook, it is going to be blank until you make a change in scenery, etc. which at that point will add an entry to it.

Ernie

• Developer

Hi Bert,

you can find the manuals in the SIMstarter NG subfolder "manuals" or at the new download page. :O)

For some weeks ago I had have some problems with Adobe PDF Reader. That looked like you mentioned. Opening a PDF sometimes did not worked (I needed to kill Adobe at the Taskmanager). It was not with NG, but sounds pretty much the same. 

• 1 year later...

Hey guys,

Someone know where to get latest manual for v1.5...will like to have a look before buying.

(only found rev 09, seems to be old and for p3d v3.4 not v4)

Please advise,

brgds

Søren

Archived