Preview: Aerosoft Gliders

every glider pilot has this dream, perhaps in online games ;-)

But honestly, who needs flarm? And in reallife too, who needs it?

Nobody.

Do9nt say, people in competitions.

Go to the SDI-website, they have a Vario, what has a competition mode to reduce the flarm warnings, where is the sense now???

I think Flarm is a security-risc!

The people think "I am sure, I have flarm." But not every Pilot has it...

And Flarm only sees Flarmusers.

personaly I think, there is no need to encourage such a system.

Sure, it would be a nice gimmig´k in FSX, but do we need it realy?. But I will speak with Mathijs again about that.

Joachim

P.S. please dont let it become to a discusuin about Flarm ;-)

I have never seen a hook BEHIND the Wheel,

That's what I meant. The tow rope in FSX is attached far behind the wheel. But I am not sure if or how it can be changed.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking very much forward to your gliders. Do you have a release time in mind already (autumn, winter, next year) or is it too early for that?

I expect that you won't tell, but asking doesn't hurt, does it? :D

Can low LOD models have wingflex (or static flexed wings) as well? I find it a bit disturbing in the FSX DG808 that the wings are suddenly flat when the distance increases. But maybe this is not a problem with the Discus as the wingflex is not so pronounced like you said in the German forum.

• 2 weeks later...
I actually seen one of them years ago, very nice glider, but with only 50 or so made and not in the last quarter century I think the commercial potential would be limited.

If you are looking for a glider with huge commercial potential, you should take a look at Blanik L-13: more than 2600 produced, making it the most widely used glider in the whole world.

I wonder if something could be done about some issues with FSX that have lead to complaints in the soaring community:

- Airtow only straight ahead

Actually, it is possible to take control of the towplane and make it fly whatever path you want. It requires an little analysis of what SimConnect is able and unable to do and an huge amount of magic. ; ) Oh, and having a copy of Visual Studio is also handy.

In spring I heavily researched the possibilities of accessing towplane and altering its behaviour. I came up with two possibilities, one of them allowing to change the aircraft model even while towing and the other one allowing to assign headings to towplane and change them in real time in flight sim. The first approach had several nasty side-effects, so I had to drop it. With the second one I managed to make towplane fly patterns, but some issues remained. For example, I had to restart FS to choose another towplane or change the climb rate of towplane.

Unfortunately I didn't have enough time to finish it in order to offer it together with my EEVI scenery, but if the guys at Aerosoft are interested in this thing, I think I can present you with a simple proof-of-concept module for FSX in two or three weeks time. Just PM me.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah. what he said. I came out of there yesterday in a DG 808 and had a really nice hour of thermaling over near Pearl Harbor, but one has to watch the traffic (both military and commercial) into PHNL. Lovely airport and the Discus will fit right in.

GB

• Aerosoft
indeed it looks fabulous :shock: but iam missing one minor detail . will there be an pre flight check list? ( instrument setting, disturbers, enz...)

For sure the documents will have that, but I assume you mean the in the visible cockpit? There is a map storage thing (not sure how to call it) on the left side, the checklists are normally kept in there.

sorry, wrong...

The pre flight lists are stickers on the sides of the cockpit.

But honestly? I dont know any gliderpilots who checks with the list.

All Gliderpilots I know (including me) checkes their plane out of the head...

It are only a few Points

Aileron, Elevator, Rudder movable?

Spoilers locked?

right and save belted?

canopy closed and locked?

(when a 2seater ask the guy behind the last two points)

altimeter set to 0?

free in front of you?

free inside your launch area?

trim in the middle?

and look from where the wind comes because of the possibillity of a rope break

All these points where spoken loud and explicit

In picture 3 you can see the list.

But there is annother check, too.

I call it "pre flight day check"

In this check you see, if the plane is "save". For example if the rudders are attached to the controlls...

• 2 weeks later...

oh man these are looking great!!

i wonder whats being released next aircraftwise?

catalina, hughes racer or the gliders,

personally i really hopes its the PBY :lol:, oh please be the cat , i dounno what it is something about that plane i am really looking forward to many flights with her!

• Aerosoft
oh man these are looking great!!

i wonder whats being released next aircraftwise?

catalina, hughes racer or the gliders,

personally i really hopes its the PBY :lol:, oh please be the cat , i dounno what it is something about that plane i am really looking forward to many flights with her!

We got 4 'internal' projects (meaning projects that are done under out control, unlike for example the PMDG stuff).

- PBY-5, 5A, Catalina

- Twin Otter

- H1 racer

- Glider

Honestly I got no idea what will be ready first, in fact all of them seen to be close to first or second beta at this moment.

• 4 weeks later...

Any chance we could see some more In Sim screenies of the external model... saw one in amongst the Dillingham ones but I'd love to see some more. Aerosoft have a lot of projects coming along that are on my to buy list but this one is right up there at the top.

Can any one tell me if they have modelled slope lift into FSX? I've tried slope soaring along that ridge at back of Dillingham with the default glider but cant say I noticed any appreciable lift... but then again the wind may not have been in the right direction.

There is no true ridge lift in FSX at the moment because FSX does not model ambient vertical air motion. Also for this reason CCS2004 can not be updated to work in FSX. FS9 however does model vertical air motion. Microsoft needs to put this feature back into FSX.

Cheers,