Preview: Aerosoft Gliders

Some notes on the gauges.

As Ian wrote they are pure 3d.

Now this is a glider, and they are metric in Germany.

Nobody knows why, but they are.

It is rather easy to change ASI and VSI to imperial. Because I only need to change the textures. Or give you some imperial ones.

But the altimeter....

Hmm... This is a shame, because the needles has to be fixed here and not the backplate.

It can't be fixed via an option, but It can be fixed with a complete new MDL file for the VC.

This is a problem, because there will be several versions of the plane in the aircraftfolder even now!

And how would you mark them as imperial in the menu?

I think, the best is to set the C4 to imperial, and leave at least the altimeter in metric. You even can see this as an option like me to see my altitude in feed.

What do you think?

Is this an option or rather not?

We can talk about everything ;-)

I even got another idea, but I have to check if this is possible.

I wrote it down

Exciting!

Let's say at his stage it would be more important to get it OUT and then fix the odd details.

If the C4 gives s imperial that's good, lets go soaring!

Maybe the developer can release it as "metric" and the perhaps (please please please *beg & grovel x1000*) release an update/ patch at a later stage with the imperial measures? Just an idea,

and very nice work so far and when is the release date?

Thanks

Zakk

Realeasedate...

Not easy to say.

Lets say, as soon as I got flight dynamics, I am happy with.

Remember, I fly this thing in reallife, and you can ask John, I am no easy person in this aspect.

John does a great job, and we get closer and closer to an ending of the story but in fact there is still something to do.

As you all know we had to restart the flight dynamics from scratch due to several unexpected problems on some mashines.

It is still a riddle what kind of issue caused this problem!

Of course I really want to release IT now, BUT I want to give you some serious flight dynamics, that will fit in every aspect.

To be honest, there is another major problem, too.

The winch is still not finished.

Dirk does his best to complete it, but he is still working with FSX, and FSX doesn't know something like a winch.

But I am really sure, we can solve these 2 problems, as we've solved the other problems so far (for example, no starter turbo engine, real wingflex, hide pilot, yawstring, some very nice small feature....)

I am really sorry, that you have to wait such a long time, but we're working, and we can't do more at the moment

Bests Joachim

It is rather easy to change ASI and VSI to imperial. Because I only need to change the textures. Or give you some imperial ones.

But the altimeter....

Hmm... This is a shame, because the needles has to be fixed here and not the backplate.

It can't be fixed via an option, but It can be fixed with a complete new MDL file for the VC.

This is a problem, because there will be several versions of the plane in the aircraft folder even now!

And how would you mark them as imperial in the menu?

I think, the best is to set the C4 to imperial, and leave at least the altimeter in metric. You even can see this as an option like me to see my altitude in feed.

What do you think?

Is this an option or rather not?

I'm used to Imperial gauges, but in the end you have to adapt to different values to suit what ever aircraft you fly anyway, so I don't really see a problem using metric gauges. Having said that if you're used to a particular system its not very intuitive to be in another, altitude would be the most confusing for me, but a least zero feet and zero meters are the same thing :blink:

It would be great to get alternative textures for the ASI and VSI at least and if in the future new models could be made available with an Imperial Altimeter; that would be the icing on the cake. :)

As for calling the different model versions, then that would simply be new entries in the aircraft.cfg with (Imp) added to the Title, Model and Variation fields perhaps Panel too if affected.

I'm used to Imperial gauges, but in the end you have to adapt to different values to suit what ever aircraft you fly anyway, so I don't really see a problem using metric gauges. Having said that if you're used to a particular system its not very intuitive to be in another, altitude would be the most confusing for me, but a least zero feet and zero meters are the same thing :blink:

Very True

It would be great to get alternative textures for the ASI and VSI at least and if in the future new models could be made available with an Imperial Altimeter; that would be the icing on the cake. :)

As for calling the different model versions, then that would simply be new entries in the aircraft.cfg with (Imp) added to the Title, Model and Variation fields perhaps Panel too if affected

Great Ideas

I don't know if anyone is familiar with the Level D 767, but in their options menu they have an option to change the flight director - it can be sat as "The Flying V" or "Crossbars", Could this be a possible addition for the units of measure (Met vs. Imp) to a service pack at a later date or maybe even added now if its easy to do? but i'm no programmerso dont know the insa and outs of it, i can paint planes tho if you need a hand

if its easy to do?

Lol sure until you do the retro testing required to make sure we haven't broken anything else in the process. Joachim and I have agreed to at least look at the ASI and the Altimeter units switching, even though it means modifying and re-compiling the 3D model. We know what to do. I'm not working on the winch or the flight model so there's no resource constraint but we won't hold up the overall project.

Joachim and I have agreed to at least look at the ASI and the Altimeter units switching

Thats great news, thanks guys :D

OK, done, you can now choose whatever you want, imperial, or metric.

That can be done as usual via FSX menu.

Was some work again, but I agree, this option is an improvement ;-)

Joachim

OK, done, you can now choose whatever you want, imperial, or metric.

That can be done as usual via FSX menu.

Was some work again, but I agree, this option is an improvement ;-)

Joachim

GREAT WELL DONE !!! :D:D:D:D

heyyy looks pretty good... having done so much testing it was interesting to see someone else's flight.

The 'dancing variometers' are:

* the SDI C4 flight computer in the middle set for 'Total Energy' (i.e. climb/sink excluding effect of pilot pulling the stick - the C4 vario can alternatively be set to 'speed-to-fly' i.e. it sounds similar but it is actually telling you to speed up/slow down). This reading controls the sound also. Beep-beep-beep is a happy noise - you're climbing. Beeeeeuuueeeeeeeueuueeeep is an unhappy noise - you're going down.

* above and left of the C4 is the 'C4 slave vario' which is permanently set to 'Netto', i.e. an estimation of the vertical air movement outside of the glider

* to the right of the C4 is the 'Winter' vario, an independent pressure instrument also reading total energy but with a different reaction speed than the C4.

I'm guessing the ridgelift comes from my freeware 'sim_probe' - given that the netto vario is constantly in the happy region I'm also guessing there is a healthy breeze blowing against the side of that mountain...

This video was a great idea - we should have one of a low save from an engine start...

well done.

B21

I am very happy, that you like this video :-)

I will make one from the engine start and shutdown, as soon as I got the sounds.

At the moment it sounds a little bit nasty.

What products are involved... As Mathijs said, The glider and VFRGermany south.

But there are 2 freewareproducts involved also.

Peter Lürkens' CumulusX and Ian Lewis' alias B21 Simprobe.

These are very nice programs, that increase the reallity of FSX weather extremely. As you can see there is a very nice ridge on the video, and not MS standard with pinned vario at 10 m/s but really bumpy turbulent upwind. So it lets the varios dance like this, and like in reality.

It feels very real in the discus!

Everything fits together here.

Bests Joachim

Thanks for the extra screen shots, Mathijs.

(http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?showtopic=27436)

How does one save these that are displayed via JavaScript ?

Or do you prefer these not be saved to be admired later ?

Cheers,

Siggy

Hi Siggy, the images shown in the thread you linked to are also available as a standard JPEG earlier in this thread. You can also find them in order (without most of the text) here, if you want quick access.

http://forum.siminsider.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=343

I hope that helps.