Preview: Aerosoft Gliders

Thanks for this tip :-)

We made some serious tests, and it seems that there is at least a coherence.

But we were not able to get a stable flight model for all people with just deleting the lines in the cfg.

The section 320 in the air file was used by older FS versions.

Anyway we will set this to 0, too, maybe there is a hidden "feature" in FSX again...

So stay tuned, I will inform you as soon as there are some news.

Bests Joachim

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, there is, but in your ears it will sound always the same...

We started to make a new flightmodel and it makes big steps.

I made a 2 hours referenceflight with the real Discus BT last weekend, and recorded many videos, that will all enhance the realism.

I've got a new version off the C4 gauge wich is finished now.

The winch makes some troubles now. But I am sure, Dirk will solve the problems soon.

Thats it for now ;-)

Bests Joachim

The same, nope I'm grafeful for the update. Now i know what's going on, where you guys stand and it seems to me that release is not due.. :unsure:

Keep us posted, please because it's -the- FS addon I'm looking forward to. (together with OrbX PNW and TongassFjordX ;) )

We started to make a new flightmodel and it makes big steps.

I made a 2 hours referenceflight with the real Discus BT last weekend, and recorded many videos, that will all enhance the realism.

I've got a new version off the C4 gauge wich is finished now.

The winch makes some troubles now. But I am sure, Dirk will solve the problems soon.

Thats it for now ;-)

Bests Joachim

Joachim,

Would it make sense to forego the winch for the initial release, get the Discus in our hands, and add the winch as a patch later?

Do you have any idea when a release might be?

binky9

"Joachim,

Would it make sense to forego the winch for the initial release, get the Discus in our hands, and add the winch as a patch later?"

The problem is, that there is absolutely no option to get the BT airborne without the winch.

FSX don't want to tow the planes with engines, and the bt is not able to do a self launch.

So we habe a BM, that can do self launchs, and a B tat can be towed. What about the bt?

But nevertheless, we are not only waiting for the winch. there are still a few other hings to do, so this is not the limiting factor at the moment.

Best regards Joachim

I have waited for ever for this I gave up looking deciding to just wait until I heard it was released. Now I'm here I much prefer you to test and get it as bug free as you can before you do release so take your time I will be back in a couple of months to check on progress.

In a couple of months? We sure hope to get this one out in the next few weeks.

LOL Just doing my return visit too see where we are at and I think I might have jinxed you............... ;) Looking forward to it so just keep working on making it a completed build and release when ready see you in another couple of months.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
"Joachim,

Would it make sense to forego the winch for the initial release, get the Discus in our hands, and add the winch as a patch later?"

The problem is, that there is absolutely no option to get the BT airborne without the winch.

FSX don't want to tow the planes with engines, and the bt is not able to do a self launch.

So we habe a BM, that can do self launchs, and a B tat can be towed. What about the bt?

But nevertheless, we are not only waiting for the winch. there are still a few other hings to do, so this is not the limiting factor at the moment.

Best regards Joachim

OK, I didn't realize the BT needed the winch.

Another idea: How about releasing the Bright Skies Soaring mission as a standalone, and/or including it with the Discus release?

How is the Discus coming along?

binky9

I've updated my freeware mission to use the Discus BT, and will put it online as soon as the Discus gets shipped (the Discus version of my mission will of course also be freeware):

AustrianSoaring4.jpg

The task is a 160km quadrilateral from Zell am See airfield (same location as the original FSX deluxe Austrian Soaring mission). The wind is from the Northeast, and there are something like sixty FSX mission thermals and ridgelift objects placed around the task, of varying strengths. The first leg, from LOWZ heading West, takes you along the main valley so exploiting ridge lift is the optimum technique. The rest of the task needs thermalling to get around until you turn TP3 and set up a final glide back to LOWZ with the last section over the large lake.

The mission activates each waypoint in turn, and the SDI C4 Flight Computer in the Discus automatically picks up the direction and distance-to-go and computes your arrival height given the wind direction and strength. This all comes together on your final glide, where you aim for an arrival height of maybe 450 feet and fly down the glideslope. The SDI C4 is doing an identical computation to the real equipment, using current wind speeds and ballast settings plus its internal version of the glider performance profile (i.e. polar). The FSX implementation isn't somehow 'cheating' by using internal knowledge of the simulator. This means the 'arrival height' is as variable as the real thing, i.e. you fly too fast, or through a bit of sink, and your previous safety margin slides into a negative value that needs a miracle to get out of. As an experienced competition pilot, I can tell you the 'pucker factor' introduced by concentrating on the final glide arrival height is a real experience...

IMHO the SDI C4 really needs either a mission or a flightplan to be loaded for its real 'flight computer' capability to be fully demonstrated. Otherwise it's a perfectly capable Total Energy, Netto, or Speed-to-fly vario.

B21

In image #2 is the ASI graduated in KPH?, if so, will there be an option to change it so it can also be in Knots?

Many Thanks,

Zakk

In image #2 is the ASI graduated in KPH?, if so, will there be an option to change it so it can also be in Knots?

It is indeed in KPH. I'm unsure if knots will be available, but I'd be surprised if they were as this would mean a new gauge. However, I'll let those more knowledgeable than me provide a definitive answer.

aerosoft_discusbt_07.jpg

aerosoft_discusbt_08.jpg

I'm sure it would be easy enough to add a ASI with Knots ,

I don't know of any Discus' in the UK with a KPH ASI,

we have a few up our gliding club and they are all in Knots & Feet,

Developer, Please can you take this into consideration please?

Best regards

Zakk

Here are a small selection of pictures I took last week after I was allowed a sneak peak of the Discus.

More to follow soon.

aerosoft_discusbt_01.jpg

aerosoft_discusbt_02.jpg

aerosoft_discusbt_03.jpg

aerosoft_discusbt_04.jpg

aerosoft_discusbt_05.jpg

aerosoft_discusbt_06.jpg

Can the wind direction on the PDA be made to show wind relative to the glider's heading, rather than compass heading?

binky9

I'm sure it would be easy enough to add a ASI with Knots ,

I don't know of any Discus' in the UK with a KPH ASI,

we have a few up our gliding club and they are all in Knots & Feet,

Developer, Please can you take this into consideration please?

Best regards

Zakk

The PDA has several options. The map can be selected to be north up or track up. And the type of units, metric vs. imperial, is also selectable. So this affects how map range, airspeed, altitude, vertical speed, etc., are displayed.

The instruments are modelled in 3D, so the panel looks super sexy whatever angle you look at it from - the bezel, the semi-reflective glass, the face of the instrument, and the hands are all in glorious 3D. The trade-off is the ASI and the altimeter aren't changeable via the usual gauge code to swap backgrounds and alter the needle programming which would be needed to swap units. The face of the SDI C4 is naturally 'flat' so there is 'gauge code' driving that instrument (3600 lines of it) and for what it's worth that gauge code is also controlling the needles on the other variometers so the Winter is 'total energy' and the C4 slave is 'Netto' (except when the engine is running!).

I'm a Brit pilot used to feet and knots and find that the ASI in the Aerosoft Discus is ok because you tend to glance at where the needle is and recognise the colour coding on the dial. An altimeter in meters is more of an issue for a Brit/American pilot, but in this case I tend to read the digital altimeter readout on the SDI C4. The C4 automatically picks up the feet/meters preference from your FX settings and displays numbers accordingly.

At this stage changing the ASI or altimeter would be a hassle because of the way they are compiled into the 3D model and I'm sure no-one wants us to delay the aircraft any longer.

B21

Mr. Nick C.

Nice screenshots as always! B) I'm glad to see that this project is still progressing nicely; how much longer, Mate, for its release?

No amount of nice comments James will get me to divulge that information, even if I had it...which I don't. :P

No amount of nice comments James will get me to divulge that information, even if I had it...which I don't. :P

:lol: How about a case of bananas and a pack of cigarettes then; would that get those big lips to sing? :lol: - I'm sure it'll be worth the wait, Mate!

BTW: TFX looks outstanding ... I'll be getting it soon as well. ;)

There are three scenery packages here. The first set and last set show Aerosoft Dillingham with Mega Scenery Hawaii and the middle set show the UK VFR scenery.

Obviously Dillingham is available from Aerosoft, but I think the other two are too.