Preview: Aerosoft Gliders

Of course.

This video showes some features.

Don't listen too close to the sounds, there will be much better ones.

http://www.aerosoft.com/forum_screens/glid...me_features.wmv

Thank you, Mr. J. Schweigler! ;)

EDIT: Very nice Model and I like all the added features... B)

Can I also have my face on the Pilot? :)

One welcome feature I noticed in the video, is the shadows on the panel being dependent on where the light is coming from. I don't see this in Silent Wings or Condor, and I think it adds greatly to the realism of the simulation. Is addtition, the goose-neck microphone and the sliding window are really nice touches.

Kudos,

Binky9

Hey guys!

I love the Discus X and I'm also a real glider pilot and I had the idea to use the Discus X as trainig software.

Discus X should be released in the end of february, but its still not released. Does anybody know, WHEN it should be released?

-Ben

Been watching this thread for quite a while now, my gliding experience in FSX has grown during all that time and the bug hasn't gone, so I'm really looking forward to this release when its ready.

• Aerosoft
Hey guys!

I love the Discus X and I'm also a real glider pilot and I had the idea to use the Discus X as trainig software.

Discus X should be released in the end of february, but its still not released. Does anybody know, WHEN it should be released?

-Ben

It's slightly delayed indeed as we ran into some unexpected problems (nobody ever did a glider this complex so there are a lot of new things). But it should not take a lot longer.

I have waited for ever for this I gave up looking deciding to just wait until I heard it was released. Now I'm here I much prefer you to test and get it as bug free as you can before you do release so take your time I will be back in a couple of months to check on progress.

• Aerosoft
I have waited for ever for this I gave up looking deciding to just wait until I heard it was released. Now I'm here I much prefer you to test and get it as bug free as you can before you do release so take your time I will be back in a couple of months to check on progress.

In a couple of months? We sure hope to get this one out in the next few weeks.

Yeah really good news, cant wait for flying this beautiful plane :lol:

any idea how many weeks to release?

would be great to know :)

• 2 weeks later...
In a couple of months? We sure hope to get this one out in the next few weeks.

Mathijs,

I just had a thought. As long as you are going to put out such a great glider, how about developing some glider missions for us to use with it. Also, there are two free programs available called CumulusX! and Sim Probe that are available for FSX that add more accurate thermals and ridge lift. However, they need a lot of computer skill to get them working. If you could work with the two fellows who wrote those programs to get them working with FSX without all of the computerese hassel, FSX could become serious competition for Silent Wings and Condor. If that happened, you might then have the incentive to develop and sell other gliders of the same caliber as the one we are all waiting for. You make some money, they make some money, and we simmers are happy campers.

Binky9

• Aerosoft
Mathijs,

I just had a thought. As long as you are going to put out such a great glider, how about developing some glider missions for us to use with it. Also, there are two free programs available called CumulusX! and Sim Probe that are available for FSX that add more accurate thermals and ridge lift. However, they need a lot of computer skill to get them working. If you could work with the two fellows who wrote those programs to get them working with FSX without all of the computerese hassel, FSX could become serious competition for Silent Wings and Condor. If that happened, you might then have the incentive to develop and sell other gliders of the same caliber as the one we are all waiting for. You make some money, they make some money, and we simmers are happy campers.

Binky9

I don't know Sim Probe but of course we know CumulusX. And we are talking to very talented people. This glider will give you tow launches, winch launches and we seriously intend to give Silent Wings and Condor a run for their money. For sure we'll beat them in some aspects and loose in some other, but overall we are willing to compare the two.

Missions will not be included in the release version, that would make it a lot more expensive and we rather add those (when requested) separately.

I don't know Sim Probe but of course we know CumulusX. And we are talking to very talented people. This glider will give you tow launches, winch launches and we seriously intend to give Silent Wings and Condor a run for their money. For sure we'll beat them in some aspects and loose in some other, but overall we are willing to compare the two.

Missions will not be included in the release version, that would make it a lot more expensive and we rather add those (when requested) separately.

Mathijs.

I agree about adding the missions separately. It may be that, with the release of your glider, others will start creating additional missions, also. With the combination of your detailed A/C and FSX scenery, you will have a winning combination, if you keep adding other gliders.

Can't wait,

Bruce Wilson (binky9)

SimProbe is well knowen, too btw.

The programmer of simprobe has done the main gauge "SDI C4 competition" for the Discus.

Bests Joachim

I mentioned you have a winning combination of glider and scenery, but weather is the third leg on that stool. FSX, as is, for gliders doesn't compare to the competition

binky9

You shouldn't underestimate FSX though. If you look over at www.flightsimulatorxmissions.com you'll see forum posts from many soaring pilots. The soaring missions are the most popular of all, which was a surprise to me. The cross-country soaring experience in FSX is particularly suited to admiring the scenery as you go, although the competition to get the fastest time in the soaring missions is pretty intense so you don't usually have time to look around too much.

Unlike its predecessors, FSX has thermals without requiring any add-ons. CumulusX and sim_probe significantly improve the experience - CumulusX addon gives more accurate thermals with a lifecycle. The freeware addon sim_probe (that I wrote) produces dynamic ridge lift dependent upon terrain and wind at every point in the landscape - virtually all the freeware missions assume the existence of CumulusX and sim_probe. Given that thermals and ridge lift *do* work, I'm prepared to accept it's the scenery of the Alps or the USA ridges that really makes it worthwhile, so I agree with binky9 to that extent.

FYI sim_probe also includes an automatic IGC logger and it has become the norm to post cross-country flights to everytrail.com, e.g. see this 4 hour 500km soaring task. Installing CumulusX and sim_probe is a drag-and-drop of the files *plus* you have to add an entry to an FSX config file (exe.xml) and that's the step that's scary to some FSX users. There's friendly support in the SOAR forums (now on this site) though.

When the Aerosoft Discus is released, I will shortly follow it with a freeware mission around the Austrian Alps updated to use the Discus (this mission won't need CumulusX or sim_probe). You can also fly any of the existing soaring missions simply by checking 'allow changes' and changing the plane from the stock DG808S to the Discus.

The cockpit of the Discus is in a different league to anything that's gone before and if you enjoy starting engines in the correct sequence or twiddling knobs on computer varios then this is the one for you. In spite of having spent months programming every aspect of Joachim's SDI C4 into the FSX version (e.g. the vario blips as you switch the pneumatic feed into the instrument, or the dramatic interference with the engine running) over and above its two dozen main computations, I have to admit I'm personally more engaged with gritting my teeth around a cross-country mission trying to shave seconds off the time of some of the super-fast bandits that also fly them (Hodge, lowlevel this means you). Having the vario do the final glide computation is essential though.

B21

You shouldn't underestimate FSX though. If you look over at www.flightsimulatorxmissions.com you'll see forum posts from many soaring pilots. The soaring missions are the most popular of all, which was a surprise to me. The cross-country soaring experience in FSX is particularly suited to admiring the scenery as you go, although the competition to get the fastest time in the soaring missions is pretty intense so you don't usually have time to look around too much.

Unlike its predecessors, FSX has thermals without requiring any add-ons. CumulusX and sim_probe significantly improve the experience - CumulusX addon gives more accurate thermals with a lifecycle. The freeware addon sim_probe (that I wrote) produces dynamic ridge lift dependent upon terrain and wind at every point in the landscape - virtually all the freeware missions assume the existence of CumulusX and sim_probe. Given that thermals and ridge lift *do* work, I'm prepared to accept it's the scenery of the Alps or the USA ridges that really makes it worthwhile, so I agree with binky9 to that extent.

FYI sim_probe also includes an automatic IGC logger and it has become the norm to post cross-country flights to everytrail.com, e.g. see this 4 hour 500km soaring task. Installing CumulusX and sim_probe is a drag-and-drop of the files *plus* you have to add an entry to an FSX config file (exe.xml) and that's the step that's scary to some FSX users. There's friendly support in the SOAR forums (now on this site) though.

When the Aerosoft Discus is released, I will shortly follow it with a freeware mission around the Austrian Alps updated to use the Discus (this mission won't need CumulusX or sim_probe). You can also fly any of the existing soaring missions simply by checking 'allow changes' and changing the plane from the stock DG808S to the Discus.

The cockpit of the Discus is in a different league to anything that's gone before and if you enjoy starting engines in the correct sequence or twiddling knobs on computer varios then this is the one for you. In spite of having spent months programming every aspect of Joachim's SDI C4 into the FSX version (e.g. the vario blips as you switch the pneumatic feed into the instrument, or the dramatic interference with the engine running) over and above its two dozen main computations, I have to admit I'm personally more engaged with gritting my teeth around a cross-country mission trying to shave seconds off the time of some of the super-fast bandits that also fly them (Hodge, lowlevel this means you). Having the vario do the final glide computation is essential though.

B21

B21,

I'm one of those that got to the "scary" part and didn't go any further, and also a RL glider pilot. I've asked for help on another forum from somebody here in Houston who can help me get CumulasX! and SimProbe running. So, let me beg on this forum, also. Heelllppp!

binky9

okeydoke Binky9 I've started a thread for you on the SOAR CumulusX forum: here

relax - we'll get it working, even with you working the keyboard...

B21

These few weeks sure seem long when you're waiting for the bugs to be squashed, please keep doing what you have to do, it's not a complaint simply impatience to get what I expect to be a great step forward in gliding simulation.

• 2 weeks later...

The next pics will be from the final version.

Betatesters are working, and there are some serious issues with the flightmodel.

The flightmodel itselfe is the best I've ever seen for a glider in fsx. In fact it is one of the best flight model in FSX in gerneral, BUT it don't works on every mashine!

Nearly 50% have strange vibrations in the air.

We can't explain this issue, and we simply can't reproduce the issue some testers have, on mashines that don't have the problem.

So it is very difficult to solve it.

But please be patient, we will find a solution for sure.

I vaguely recall from other forums that some vibration issues were linked to force feedback tables buried in the air file, that once edited out removed the problem. Of course this might be a complete red herring, but I offer it as a suggested area for review.

Good hunting

EDIT:

After some searching various forums, reference to "section 320 in the air file" is made, where the force feedback can cause 'flutter' to occur for some people.