Preview: Aerosoft Gliders

Heck, I have been away for a loooong time, haven't I? I had five weeks of "health issues", fixed now (I hope). I have been involved in other projects in recent weeks but I have not left flight simming. I am still looking forward to this glider, but for those of you who who want to glide already, you might checkout Avsim for these titles - two Aeriane (powered and normal gliders).

There's also an Akaflieg SB13 to be found that works well in FSX.

And if you are really masochistic, you can also try fsglider.de for a lot of FSX workable gliders. But I hope we don't have long to wait now for this particularly lovely model.

I got those links along time ago and there worth the download but it's trial and error to get the gliders working with SP2 but I managed to find 2 sets I like that fully work so these ones I use ASW 15 B & LS8-18 which fully work with SP2. I took a look at those Aeriane at Avsim but the graphics are not up to my standard but thanks for the heads up anyway. I guess just like you I gotta wait for J.Schweigler to finish this project so we can buy it but when you see something of quality it takes forever to get your mits on it which is a real killer :D

• 2 weeks later...

Ah yes, I forgot about Wolfgang's marvellous efforts. Thanks to his site, I now have nearly all the gliders I have ever flown realworld. All that's missing is a Slingsby Swallow, an Olympia 2b and a Pilatus P4.

• 2 weeks later...
Ah yes, I forgot about Wolfgang's marvellous efforts. Thanks to his site, I now have nearly all the gliders I have ever flown realworld. All that's missing is a Slingsby Swallow, an Olympia 2b and a Pilatus P4.

Hi Chris,

I'm both a Pilatus and a gliding fan. There is an old (FS2002) Pilatus B4 that works well in FSX but the panel needs some reworking. You can find it at Simviation, search for Pilatus-B4.zip.

Cumulus! + SimProbe is magic! Now you can go gliding anywhere you want, with downlodaded weather if you wish, great leap forward. I fly a lot around Cape Town South Africa. New Missions (Mifflin) being developed around this opportunity at http://carrier.csi.cam.ac.uk/forsterlewis/...m/fsx/missions/.

The Discus does look really beautiful! Can't wait to try it...

Greetings, Pedro

• Aerosoft

Gents, I got to tell you this project is currently paused. The reason is simple, the developer who we hired to build the main flight computer (the complex gauge that tells the pilot in great detail what to do) could not deliver. So right now I am looking for a new developer to do this. This gauge was one of the main features and absolutely needed for the high end glider add-on we were planning.

Both Aerosoft and the main developer Joachim are sad about this delay, certainly as we can't plan a release now. When there is news we';ll let you know.

Gents, I got to tell you this project is currently paused. The reason is simple, the developer who we hired to build the main flight computer (the complex gauge that tells the pilot in great detail what to do) could not deliver. So right now I am looking for a new developer to do this. This gauge was one of the main features and absolutely needed for the high end glider add-on we were planning.

Both Aerosoft and the main developer Joachim are sad about this delay, certainly as we can't plan a release now. When there is news we';ll let you know.

Hi Mathijs,

you're just kidding, aren't you? Please tell us that this is just a bad kind of humor and this doesn't happen... well... not again!

With this new message in mind I wish I would be the reason for the delay.

Cheers,

Dirk.

This gauge was one of the main features and absolutely needed for the high end glider add-on we were planning.

I'd take it with just a TE Vario and a McCready ring. ;)

(Edit: sorry, misspelled it).

Nooooooooooooooo.............................. I will take the bird as is and you can patch the gauge when it's done that is a kick in the guts hearing this. Why is it that the very craft I have been looking forward to so much is the one that gets placed on the back burner it's the story of my life.

I will take the bird as is and you can patch the gauge when it's done that is a kick in the guts hearing this.

Maybe this could be an option to consider. Unlike many of the "airliner people", who get their kick from programming the FMC and watch the autopilot fly from take off to minimums, many glider lovers may be almost as happy with the basic instruments. The soaring computer really is an instrument for serious distance and competition soaring - and at this time I don't see FSX becoming this kind of sim.

Mathijs Kok if the bird is made and flyable with the basic working panels then please release I would much prefer to enjoy now rather than sit here on my ass hoping that it may get released. It can always get patched later or updated to for fill what you had envisioned this release to be. I'm happy to pay double just to get a dedicated bird for FSX of quality even if it's not complete right now. Just complete the package minus this setback and your still going to have happy customers then you can sit back and relax without pressure to patch it in due course.

what do you actually want to achieve with the C4? You could get function like the vario in the DG808S with very little programming, or you could add TE and Netto compensation to the vario, thermal averaging, or also a final glide/arrival height calculation, but these are at increasing complexity of programming. The C4 user interface would be fairly straightforward to code but those functions as you go round the display (e.g. volts) don't actually add a lot in the air (I have a C3). All that you *could* do with an XML gauge.

But the vario audio comes from FSX so in XML you'd be stuck with un-compensated audio regardless of what you do to the vario display (unless the user has CumulusX). Also the C4 is capable of computing an arrival height around *multiple* turnpoints (although I've known more pilots screw this up than actually benefit from it) - but in FSX you'd need to get the flight plan and I think this would take C/C++ rather than XML so that would add a lot of complexity...

B21

Just to make some things a little clearer

Of course there will be NO FSX Vario sound in the Discus.

C4 has the controll over the sounds (vol knob)

And there is the first Problem to release it without the Gauge.

Other problems are, that some functions should be done in this gauge (for example static pressure switch)

These are things, You need, if You fly with motor.

In fact FSX standardvario is not really good.

We can't take this for our glider.

So we have to think a while about what to do now.

I am VERY sorry about the situation. :(:angry:

I'd take it with just a TE Vario and a McCready ring. ;)

(Edit: sorry, misspelled it).

Ditto. Going to be quite blunt here, I would prefer this one over all of the others in development. I can live with basic instruments for a long time, and wait for a flight computer. :(

Guys,

32,557 viewer (more than the F-16....) cannot be wrong, .....

This does not supprise me. Soaring is one of the most beautiful and satisfying forms of flight and is well suited to FSX. You will have access to really good scenery, and everything related to soaring can be functional. You can create ridge lift, and thermals (with Simprobe and Cumulus X) anywhere in the world. Everything in the glider from navagational aids to ejecting water ballast can be fuctional. You have tow planes. Soaring task are well suited to the "Mission" concept of FSX.

Yet there are no payware sailplanes on the market to my knowledge. Aerosoft's Discuss will be the first. I hope Mathijs will consider other sailplane/motorglider projects in the future as they are sorely needed.

I am presently flying a Stemme S-10 motor glider from the Fs 2002 era and patched through three versions of Microsoft flight sims so it will function (sort of) in FSX. I use the Stemme a lot because it will do things no other motor glider can do.

I can't wait to soar the Discuss out of Lukla X and up the south western slopes of Everest!

Cheers, :)

Don

This does not supprise me. Soaring is one of the most beautiful and satisfying forms of flight and is well suited to FSX. You will have access to really good scenery, and everything related to soaring can be functional. You can create ridge lift, and thermals (with Simprobe and Cumulus X) anywhere in the world. Everything in the glider from navagational aids to ejecting water ballast can be fuctional. You have tow planes. Soaring task are well suited to the "Mission" concept of FSX.

Yet there are no payware sailplanes on the market to my knowledge. Aerosoft's Discuss will be the first. I hope Mathijs will consider other sailplane/motorglider projects in the future as they are sorely needed.

I am presently flying a Stemme S-10 motor glider from the Fs 2002 era and patched through three versions of Microsoft flight sims so it will function (sort of) in FSX. I use the Stemme a lot because it will do things no other motor glider can do.

I can't wait to soar the Discuss out of Lukla X and up the western slopes of Everest!

Don

Why do you want motor glider, lukla has sloped runway  ;)

Hold on folks, there is some new movement on this project, we'll know more next week. Don't worry. we'll not drop the project, too much love and attention went into it already.

Great news looking forward to what it is that your going to let us know about.

I can't wait to soar the Discuss out of Lukla X and up the south western slopes of Everest!

Don

Couldn't agree with you more sail planes is my passion followed by light single engine birds. For some reason I get so much more pleasure out of a sail plane than anything else and with so many quality addons that bring FSX to life now it's a awesome time to be in this hobby.

Have ben a bit tied up with modelling for Rail simulator lately but I check in periodically to see how things are going on this project. I think this is still the project for FSX that I'm most looking forward to so i hope you guys manage to get over the hiccups :)

Hold on folks, there is some new movement on this project, we'll know more next week. Don't worry. we'll not drop the project, too much love and attention went into it already.

And? Do you know more by now? Thanks for lettings us know.