Rome v1.02 and SODE v1.31 installer confusion

macwino

This whole SODE business is unnecessarily confusing and a simple Read Me file accompanying the Aerosoft Rome v1.02 installer and explaining the issues would be helpful.

In any event, here's what happened when I installed Rome v1.02 today. I am running P3D v3.2 with just the Client update.

First, I had to decide whether or not to install v1.02 on top of v1.01. No guidance was given so I assumed it was okay to do so. Was I correct?

Second, at the end the install process a window popped up to install SODE. Not knowing what to do, no instructions having been included, I simply went ahead and ran the installer using its default options. This appears to have been a mistake. And Aerosoft appears to be at the root of the problem. Let me explain.

I subsequently learned that the SODE installer would add entries to my dll.xml and exe.xml files. I'm sure it installed other stuff too, but that's not my immediate concern. I checked my dll.xml and exe.dll files, which are located in the P3D v3 area of my User's AppData folder, and found that no SODE entries had been made. I then discovered that I had another set of these files in the P3D v3 area of my ProgramData folder. Each of these files had two entries, both from Aerosoft. The dll.xml file had entries for Flight Recorder and SODE. The exe.dll file had entries for APController and SODE. From reviewing my backups, I was able to determine that the SODE entries were added today. But it appears that the files themselves were created, with their original two Aerosoft entries, two days after I installed P3D v3.2, back in early October 2015. 

So where do these four Aerosoft entries belong, and why do they appear to have been installed in files in an incorrect location?

Is it correct that I dare not run GSX with airports using SODE until GSX releases a fix?

Is it correct that I must add the Content portion of the P3D v3.2 update to use SODE's features?

If I want to have GSX services, can I simply not install SODE?

Thanks for your assistance.

Robert

• Developer

Hi,

vor 8 Stunden , macwino sagte:

So where do these four Aerosoft entries belong, and why do they appear to have been installed in files in an incorrect location?

For P3Dv3, there are two locations where dll.xml and exe.xml can exist, ProgramData and AppData/Roaming. Quoting from the P3D SDK:

Libraries and Executables

The priority for how add-on library and executable configuration files differs from content and is initialized as follows:

• ProgramData: Configuration files named dll.xml or exe.xml found at: %PROGRAMDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3
  • Roaming: Configuration files named dll.xml or exe.xml found at: %APPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3

If multiple configuration files are found, then the list of paths are merged together when processed according to the above priority. When an add-on library is initialized, the dll is loaded. When an add-on executable is initialized, the executable is started.

So, there is no wrong and right here, just a matter of following SDK guidelines and priorities. Modules in ProgramData have top-priority and is the default location in P3D v3.

Is it correct that I dare not run GSX with airports using SODE until GSX releases a fix?

You can run GSX, but before it is fixed, SimObjects from other tools such as SODE will be removed by GSX. This removal of "non-GSX SimObjects" is a behaviour of GSX, which will be fixed in their next update. So, you might have disappeared objects (e.g. jetways), but there won't be a crash or similar.

Is it correct that I must add the Content portion of the P3D v3.2 update to use SODE's features?

Not quite, you need the Content portion to enable the selection-text-menu. Lockheed Martin has altered the text menu to use ScaleForm now and without updating the content package as well, the sim won't be able to show the new text menu. This has nothing to do with SODE. Also GSX uses the same SimConnect based text menu, so you won't be able to use GSX either if you don't update the content package. Every add-on that employs the text-menu suffers from this change.

If I want to have GSX services, can I simply not install SODE?

As said, you are able to run both without any problems, except that GSX might remove SODE injected objects. fsdreamteam has already fixed this and is in the testing phase of the next GSX update.

I hope this makes things a bit clearer.

Best regards,

Jeffrey

Hi Jeffrey,

Thanks so much for the wonderfully detailed response. I now understand what's going on and why. The time you took to explain all this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Robert

Archived