Checklist often hangs after startup and pushback

tup61

1 out of 5 times the checklist refuses to continue after starting pushback using the right MCDU. The only way to continue is to load the taxi state and change all kinds of things from memory. Loading that state however changes quite a few things, like altitude, trim, pax and cargo, some of which I cannot change anymore. Another problem is that usually after having this problem the take off goes wrong: I set FLX but get a message I need to set LVR CLB on the ground already and after take off speeds are too low. All in all somehow everything gets messed up as soon as that checklist hangs.

Am I the only one having this problem? Is there something I can do to prevent this from happening? I always do each step carefully, I try not to be too hasty when I am getting to the startup and push back part, but no matter what I do, things go wrong at random. And to avoid problems I really have to stop the sim and restart everything, which obviously is quite annoying. Usually I simple stop flying completely out of frustration.

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT

Well, I had to abort my current flight due to problems at cruise... speeds were off, chimes were ringing, and it all started after the checklist stopped working. This sucks big time. What a waste of time.

EDIT 2

**** :angry: Restarted the flight from scratch TWICE now and everytime the checklist stops responding after starting the engine. WTF?!?!?!?!? This is getting too annoying. I'm done for today. (P.S. The last time I didn't choose the pushback and engine start option but just the start engine one: that didn't help.)

You are not alone with Checklist issues. 

I have been troubled by the 'Pitch Trim' bug and today in the C/L it was acknowledged to my surprise and I continued with the preparation. Lined up on the runway and took off with appropriate C/L then nothing. Reached TOD and not a sound. Looks like another one man landing. The last C/L to be actioned was the 'After take-off checklist'

Don't hold your breath waiting for someone to acknowledge your issues.

• Deputy Sheriffs

The only checklist problem I can easily reproduce it the "pitch trim" problem, which is acknowledged, workarounds are given and which will be fixed with SP4.

The reported problem by Jeroen must be installation specific. As far as I see it you are flying the bus for some time already. Was this problem there from the beginning or did it started sometime later after setting up the bus for the first time?

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi Jeroen,

thats indded very strange what happens. As I simply do not see currently any issue with the Checklists (ecepth the thing with the trim) hard to tell whats going on. I suggest that:
1. you have the latest version 1.31 installed

2. you made the installation according to this topic:

So my questions:

What sim are you using?

When you do the tutorial flight, does this one work?

55 minutes ago, Tom A320 said:

The reported problem by Jeroen must be installation specific. As far as I see it you are flying the bus for some time already. Was this problem there from the beginning or did it started sometime later after setting up the bus for the first time?

57 minutes ago, mopperle said:

Hi Jeroen,

thats indded very strange what happens. As I simply do not see currently any issue with the Checklists (ecepth the thing with the trim) hard to tell whats going on. I suggest that:
1. you have the latest version 1.31 installed

2. you made the installation according to this topic:

So my questions:

What sim are you using?

When you do the tutorial flight, does this one work?

After not having flown the Airbus for a year or so I reinstalled it recently and I have had problems with this from that new beginning. However, it seems to happen more frequently now and yesterday was a real low because I couldn't get the checklist going after starting up no matter what. So it doesn't happen always but enough to make me start this topic. My sim is Prepar3D v3.2 and I installed everything (latest version with I downloaded before installing) on a completely fresh Windows 10 system. Other add ons I use (which may cause conflicts) are ASN and ProATC/X. I didn't test it with the tutorial flight (who needs a tutorial after flying the bus for 'years' ;) ): I could try that but if it does work that won't tell me much because it also often works with my other flights. 

I will make a note of which airport and gate I am starting whenever this goes wrong again: maybe that may lead to something. (I am flying in FTX Norway only btw). I will also see what happens if I don't use ProATC/X (at least not before starting up). 

Stop the press, problem solved!!! On the Avsim forum a guy named Greg Driskell (credit where credit is due) asked: " When you start engine 2 first, are you waiting for it to stabilize before starting engine 1?" This made me decide to have a look at the tutorial (" who needs a tutorial after flying the bus for 'years'..." Well, obviously I do) and I noticed it said you have to wait with starting engine 1 until Engine 2 N2 is above 20%.

(Let me repost what I also just posted on the Avsim forum:) So I just started a flight (the same one that went wrong yesterday) and decided to take some extra time and waited until Engine 2 N2 was <50% and then I started engine 1. Almost at the same time I got the message Engine 2 was stabilized and the checklist proceeded without any problems! Engine 1 was stabilized, I had to set the parking brake and so on. Great.

But well... of course this has happened before so I decided to test if this REALLY was the problem: I quit P3D, restarted it and set up the exact same flight, ran through all procedures again but this time I switched the engine 2 and 1 on directly after on another, so within a second. And yes... the checklist stopped! Nothing happened! Both engines were stabilized, pushback had stopped, but the checklist did nothing anymore!

Apparently the checklist script is waiting for Engine 2 to reach a certain level with Engine 1 still being turned off so... to test if this was indeed true I decided if I could force the script to proceed by turning the already stabilized Engine 1 off again, which would give the checklist script what it presumably wanted. And yes: as soon as I turned off Engine 1 I immediately heard 'Engine 2 stabilzed". After that I started Engine 1 once more and the checklist proceeded without problems. Problem solved! (So if you ever get this problem, now you now how to get the checklist running again.)

When I first flew the Airbus I always waited for Engine 2 to stabilize before I started Engine 1. After months and months of flying the plane I started Engine 1 sooner and sooner because I didn't want to wait that long and well... there clearly is a limit to how soon you can start Engine 1 after Engine 2. The fact that I didn't always have this problem is that I am not always in a hurry and, purely by accident, waited long enough before I started Engine 1... (Engine 2 N2 is above 20% pretty quickly).

Anyway, this problem clearly was a PILOT PROBLEM (yes, that's me), it is solved now, so feel free to lock this one.

P.S. I never have a trim checklist problem and I think that's because I made a habit of setting the trim as soon as I enter the flaps and trim setting into the MCDU which I usually do while the plane is still loading (so I can see what the UP setting has to be). After setting for instance 1/UP0.7 into the MCDU I hit the lower ECAM F/CLR button and set the trim. By the time the checklist reaches this step, it checks it and proceeds without problems. (But maybe the trim checklist problem is about something else...?)

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi Jeroen,

glad the problem is solved! My day was too busy, maybe I would have thought of that otherwise as well. Especially as I made that mistake in my early bus-days as well :) 

Archived