No ILS needles when AWL/PCD selected

Speed Legend

Hi all,

Using P3D v2.5 with TacPack 1.4.2.8

Whenever I select AWL/PCD for a Carrier approach the ILS needles do not display on the HUD and VDI in both F-14 variants. Aircraft is in approach config, in range to the carrier, NAV mode set, HUD and VDI selected to ILS.

Tacan channel in the aircraft and TacPack menu are set to 27X and ILS Freq 109.00

Have reinstalled the F-14 and TacPack.

Have I missed something ?

Which Carrier are you trying to land on? Make sure that the tacan you select for the carrier (in tacpack) matches the frequencies listed just above the tacan panel.

I just tried the Nimitz in the B only this time with a different Tacan and ILS Freq, still no needles, however I did see AWL displayed on the HUD lower right corner.

Looks light Night trappings going to get a little more difficult.

Hmmm... I wonder if the ILS is tuned differently, copy the nav frequencies from the radio panel and put them in outside the mission and see of that makes a difference.

OK, looks like a TacPack issue. I copied the cvn_63_Kitty_Hawk.cfg file which comes with the F-14 package and pasted into (conf.d folder) inside AICarriers main folder. 

Loaded the Kitty Hawk through AI Carriers menu (Shift J) not (VRS AI Carriers) and the ILS needles worked. 

I would wonder if there is a conflict with using 27X and 109.00 for the Kitty Hawk with TacPack.

There are essentially two stand-alone TACAN systems in the F-14. The original 'static' TACAN system where channels are pre-programmed in (27X/109.00 for the Kitty Hawk), and the 'dynamic' TACAN that is integrated with TacPack.

So, if you'r using a TacPack spawned Kitty Hawk and set the frequencies to 27X and 109.00, then you're essentially telling both the static and the dynamic TacPack systems that they have a valid channel at the same time. We tried to program it so that the dynamic TACAN system would 'win' in fight where both had a positive channel, but I think the result are a little dubious.

I was able to test this both in single and multiplayer. In both cases I was receiving the Tacan and ILS needles. This was with the Kitty Hawk. 

I know it doesn't help those who aren't receiving it, these are just results from my testing. Not sure what the issue is.

I was using 58X and 111.90

I get no needles with the kittyhawk, but no issues with the Nimitz. Using most up to date TacPack and Tomcat version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 11:18 PM, jcagle said:

I would wonder if there is a conflict with using 27X and 109.00 for the Kitty Hawk with TacPack.

There are essentially two stand-alone TACAN systems in the F-14. The original 'static' TACAN system where channels are pre-programmed in (27X/109.00 for the Kitty Hawk), and the 'dynamic' TACAN that is integrated with TacPack.

So, if you'r using a TacPack spawned Kitty Hawk and set the frequencies to 27X and 109.00, then you're essentially telling both the static and the dynamic TacPack systems that they have a valid channel at the same time. We tried to program it so that the dynamic TACAN system would 'win' in fight where both had a positive channel, but I think the result are a little dubious.

Just going to take a guess here as to what is behind all of this... When I was looking at my Tacpack manger the other day... I went under the carriers menu and it showed the old 58x freq listed for the Kitty Hawk, also interestingly it had different freqs than listed in the new Vol 5 for the Nimitz as well... Additionally and perhaps an important fyi (although guessing you were already are aware) in the Tacpack carriers menu it has two windows one to set a TACAN CH and one to set up an ILS Freq, reason I mention this is the highest the ILS Freq the dropdown menu will allow me to set is 111.95 (which corresponds to real world as in actual aircraft / airports ILS freq range is 108.10 to 111.95; Reference US Aeronautical Information Manual (AIM) 1-1-9 h). ... So these higher ILS freqs of 112.0 that are listed under the VOL 5 avionics manual are not possible under Tacpack setup...  So moral of the story Im guessing that when spawning through Tacpack it is going to use what ever freq is listed in the Tacpack carriers menu and if you look yours, like mine may still be using 58x and some other ILS freq which is causing the new freq of 27x and 109.00 to not work when spawning through Tacpack...

The only other thing I can add to this discussion is that there is a subtle difference between the two TACAN systems:

Non-TacPack (static): The TACAN channel and the ILS channel are irrevocably linked to one another. You cannot be tuned to one without being tuned to the other.

TacPack (dynamic): The TACAN channel and the ILS channel are separate (this is required by TacPack). We tried to implement an 'auto-tune' feature so that when you first tune to the TACAN channel the ILS will search for an active ILS channel. However, while the TACAN channel area of use is circular (about 60nm in diameter), the ILS area of use is a wedge shape about 11nm in length. So it's entirely possible that you can be tuned to the TACAN channel, but not the ILS channel.

Also, Jetpilot is dead on in that the TACAN and ILS frequencies called in TacPack are subject to change (that's why I describe it as a dynamic system), and the correct frequencies are whatever TacPack defines them at any particular instant in the sim. And you can always ping TacPack to see what a carrier's active channels are after it's been spawned.

35 minutes ago, jcagle said:

Jcagle is also correct... But as always the real world CFI / ATP in me felt the need to add a little more detail to a few intricacies in this matter....

Non-TacPack (static): The TACAN channel and the ILS channel are irrevocably linked to one another. You cannot be tuned to one without being tuned to the other.

First this is absolutely correct... All TACAN is VOR/DME and in lower channels LOC/GS (ILS)  reception that is expressed in channels as opposed to freqs.... 

TacPack (dynamic): The TACAN channel and the ILS channel are separate (this is required by TacPack). We tried to implement an 'auto-tune' feature so that when you first tune to the TACAN channel the ILS will search for an active ILS channel. However, while the TACAN channel area of use is circular (about 60nm in diameter), the ILS area of use is a wedge shape about 11nm in length. So it's entirely possible that you can be tuned to the TACAN channel, but not the ILS channel.

Yes Tacpack does allow for carriers to select both a TACAN channel of full range (most likely for the purpose of finding the carrier) and an ILS freq... My guess is what ever these are set to either by default of by the user through the Tacpack manager is what Tacpack will generate once requested... 

Please login to display this image.

Also, Jetpilot is dead on in that the TACAN and ILS frequencies called in TacPack are subject to change (that's why I describe it as a dynamic system), and the correct frequencies are whatever TacPack defines them at any particular instant in the sim. And you can always ping TacPack to see what a carrier's active channels are after it's been spawned.

The life differences between VOR, LOC, GS, and what DME is all about.... First one must go back to my first point in this post... VOR is an omni directional based navigation beacon it broad casts in 360 directions and the pilot can select which bearing to the station he/she wishes to track or if using a RMI style piece of equipment it will just point to the station and its on the pilot to align the aircraft with magnetic headings, magnetic bearings and relative bearings but that is a matter of aircraft steering not twisting the dial... Also VOR ranges can be as little as 25nm for a terminal VOR, 40nm for a low alt VOR and 100 nm for a high alt VOR... Localizers or LOCS are on a single bearing only and are broad cast out to 25 nm from the field. An ILS is a loc that has been paired with a glide slope GS... The GS operates on a different frequency from the LOC and is a separate element but because the frequencies are paired anytime you tune in a LOC freq the radio will automatically be looking for a GS on the corresponding freq... Finally DME; all DME is; is a pulse system that measure slant range (the tangential dist between the aircraft and the station) how it works is it sends out a pulse to the station then waits for the station to return the pulse it measures the time it took divides that by two and then does the old D = R x T algebra equation.....

Please login to display this image.

Anyway, hope this helps...  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 17/04/2016 at 4:55 PM, miroslavmurin said:

When I set 58X and 111.95 in Tacpack manager and 27X in F-14 TACAN radio everything works good

Thumbs up friend !!

Precisely the best solution to those who don't feel comfortable at switching files and what not:

- maintain 58X (and the 111.95 MHz for ILS) at the TP manager;

- select 27X (instead of 58X) at the F-14 onboard TACAN channel selector.

Voila, the Kitty Hawk ILS needles present themselves.

Thank you.

Archived