The Great Catalina Experiment

• Aerosoft
I thought the Catalina was an inhouse developement. Has it been done externally? Otherwise, why should you need to buy what's left. I'm puzzled. But we'll find out in about 3 months. :blink:

Well 'inhouse' means that it is a project that is started and fully managed by us, it is not always actually done on our premises. In this case the developers really were not handling it well and broke all deadlines and several contracts. So in the end we lost almost a year an decided to cancel the contract. Very disappointing. Certainly as the developers wanted to be paid almost fully for work that is far from completed. As I did not want to loose to work (and time) already done I gave in to what was very close to extortion and bought what was done. As said all very uncomfortable and it leaves a nasty taste in my mouth. I did not expect that from a development team like SibWings. But facts are facts, it's all recorded in emails from them. I can only say that after a rather long relation with Aerosoft they were not able to keep even the simplest of contracts. They also made clear that they don't even mind a post like this, so I can only assume aq reputation does not mean anything to them right now and I assume they found business elsewhere.

But right now it is being taken over by TinyUniverses, a development studio that is totally reliable and who's performance can be judged on Friday when we release the H1 that was done by them. Look at this and you got an idea what to expect:

hughes1_16.jpg

You will understand that we got the highest confidence in the project now.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the update !! It's very appreciated ! :-)

And ... wow... that screenshot looked GOOD !!!

Quality like this might be worth waiting for !!

-Bernt

• Aerosoft
Thank you for the update !! It's very appreciated ! :-)

And ... wow... that screenshot looked GOOD !!!

Quality like this might be worth waiting for !!

-Bernt

Yes, Stefan (the new main dev) really is a artist... The H1 will be released on Friday but you can see the product page with all details here:

http://www.aerosoft.com/cgi-local/re/ibosh...i?showd,,D10729

this is good news! that last external model was incorrect. I'm glad there are some level heads among you. this is another good sign of your comitment to quality.

Thank you for the insights and the honesty, really appreciate it. I know such things can be deeply frustrating. Back in the days when I worked for a laser and plasma faculty of a local uni we used to write our own programs to control the devices. There was no buy-from-the-shelf solution to control a laser- or plasma-burner back then. And we where let down by some people too who should have coded an interface for us. They never did but wanted payment. Those things can drive you nuts.

But seeing who is in charge now of the Catalina makes me very optimistic. And I guess the H-1 will ease the pain of the additional wait.

Hi,

I am also very pleased to hear that the Catalina will be finished in house by Aerosoft.

As a matter of interest I downloaded the trial version of the Abacus Catalina and found the whole package very poor. It reminded me of the quality of FS addons from ten years ago.

I will be happy to be patient for the real thing fromAerosoft.

Paul

After getting my hands on the H-1 I must say this is the best that could happen to the Catalina. Sure it means a delay (of which we already had enough) but given the quality of the H-1 I must say I'll happily wait.

• Aerosoft
After getting my hands on the H-1 I must say this is the best that could happen to the Catalina. Sure it means a delay (of which we already had enough) but given the quality of the H-1 I must say I'll happily wait.

I am closing this topic now, starting a new one in the previews forum so we don't get all mixed up.