The Great Catalina Experiment

How do you know this, is this official?

[frenglich]

I've just seen this on Simware site, but now the release has been put off to the 15th april (09-20-07>04-15-08 :shock:, bravo simware :mrgreen:), perhaps that it wont be available before summer...

[/frenglich] :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aerosoft
So, now that the Twotter is out of the hangar, do you think there is enough room to push a bigger bird out? :wink:

Yep, the Cat is done by partly the same team and when we had some problems with the Cat we decided to move the Twotter in front. This is now done and 3 people are working on the Catalina right now. In a few weeks I will be giving out a idea on a release date. But think 3 months of work left.

Two other comments:

- Somebody suggested that we just had to compile the model with the new compiler, suggesting the Catalina was done for FS2004 and updated. Not right, it has been done on FSX standards from the start, no legacy code in there (and no FS2004 version possible).

- Release dates are always tricky, we got to send dates to resellers, even though we have no full control over the development. And sometimes old dates stick on pages etc. Always read them with a smile, if you don't read it here (and even if you read it here) it might not mean a lot. That's how this industry works.

• 3 weeks later...

And another quick question: I have read somewhere that the real PBY is rather difficult to fly and unforgiving to pilot's mistakes (please correct me if I am wrong).

So, will the flight model be on the nasty side or will it be tamed?

• 2 weeks later...

You're welcome, I've been to Duxford on several occasions and it's nice to see good quality photo's from one of their events.

Cumbria is a county in the north west of England, we host the English Lake District amongst other nice places. Just moved back here as well, which is superb...for me :wink:

http://www.golakes.co.uk/beinspired/culture/default.aspx

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Guess what I found on Play.com - PC Games:

Catalina: The Flying Cat (Flight Simulator X Add-On)

Due for release on 13/06/2008

It did not say from which vendor... but could it be ???

Unlikely, it has been dead silent around the cat lately. The last shots are half a year old now. I'd love a great flying boat but I guess he will have to wait a looooong time. And the one you found there could be Abacus. They have one too but boy, its not even in the same league as this one here.

True !

But I rather buy a Cat from Abacus than no Cat at all.... and since we do not get any more info from Aerosoft on this project .....

-Bernt

• Aerosoft
True !

But I rather buy a Cat from Abacus than no Cat at all.... and since we do not get any more info from Aerosoft on this project .....

-Bernt

Ok, point taken. Yet there is a surprising amount of change in the project. But rest assured, the project is very much alive at this moment.

Clearly the previous plan and schedule did not work out, so last week we decided to stop the current project and to fully change it. So the existing files were bought and the whole project is now rescheduled and will be partly redone to match current standards. With all due regards to Abacus, different standards than used for their project. Abacus aims at a different customer, nothing wrong about that.

Work on the renewed project will commence early next week and will be done full time and to a solid schedule by a completely new development team. There is 6 weeks of modeling scheduled (plus 3 weeks of vacation), and we'll need 2 weeks for testing and getting it ready for delivery. Add one week for stuff I don't want and do you own math.