The Great Catalina Experiment

• Aerosoft

You probably know how we like to work for our ‘internal’ aircraft projects. We deliver a solid basic version and then we tune and tweak for a while using the feedback we get from customers and testers to get to what we normally call the 1.50 version. The version we created with the customers, using their input and fixing open issues while doing so. With the Catalina we go one step further and we like to invite you to get a lot of input on how we should even take this first step. The model shown is done by Andrey Tsivirenko (sibwings) who has done a lot of our best selling models. It is 100% high end with gauges inserted in the MDL etc, so we got frames to burn with a VC that is detailed and very smooth.

Below you see images of what we have now (images as always done by Nick Churchill, the only person who can make a early alpha of a product looks stunning). What we got is a basic early version PBY-5A with a smooth nose. A lot of versions had this nose job sometimes because it makes the aircraft faster and a lot easier to land. The pilot can actually SEE where he lands. If you want to see more of this aircraft; http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.sear...inct_entry=true

Now we are NOT going back in time, so we are not going to do earlier versions, but we are listening to any ideas on later versions and different liveries. Depending on how complex, we’ll do 2 or 3 versions with a good number of liveries. For the systems you see we got now a VFR version (even with the GPS system it is only VFR licensed) that is a pretty good ‘modern’ cockpit and represents a lot of the models that are restored and are still flying around. But we acknowledge the fact a lot of people like to see a more original model so we plan one of those as well. Show us the images and we’ll discuss it.

So feel free to pitch in, send your images (if you are not sure about copyrights, send the link and not the image) and let us know what we need to do. Things will move fast from now on, so stay alert. To help you along I added a schematic of all the important version after the 5A, if you are looking for another model, please use the model name as shown on that image (as always with older aircraft, names and types are messed up in documents).

The limitations of the experiment:

- only 3 or 4 models

- only FSX, not FS2004

- we will most likely add scenery (suggestions?)

- we will add at least one mission to get to know the aircraft (suggestions)

- we like to avoid models and liveries that are very specific to one location or one period (but this is flexible)

- we will do at least one WW II version, but for the rest we like to stick to models that are still flying

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:shock: Impressive

I assume a Dutch Catalina (PH-PBY) will be included as well? :D In that case it'll need a less modern looking cockpit: http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0923763/L/

If you need more info on that: http://www.ruudleeuw.com/phpby.htm

and http://www.catalina-pby.nl/

If you need repainters you know who to contact :wink:

Hi Mathijs

I know that I have already expressed my wish in an earlier thread, but I would really like to see a PBY-6A in a Royal Danish Air Force version with radar dome etc. These birds were essential to the infrastructure of Greenland for many years, and they just look sooooo nice in that landscape:

PBY-6A%20Catalina%20L-866%201965.jpg

And I like the colours too:

PBY-6A%20Catalina%20L-868%201971.jpg

I have a lot of historical PBY pictures from the collection of Alf Blume (and I have his permission to show them), furthermore I have access to the PBY-6A L-861 which is at the Technical Museum in Elsinore, plus drawings showing many details of the various markings and small symbols in the RDAF paint scheme. If you can use any of these things, I would be glad to help.

Regards

Kim Dahl

Hi Mathijs,

Here’s what I think would be ideal as a mission. Locate the Bismarck. In real life an RAF Catalina from the No 209 Squadron spotted her.

Allowing for limited development time, the rendition of the Bismarck wouldn’t have to be really high-tech, just a reasonable rendition of it *hidden* somewhere in the general area. In real life it took some doing to find it, so it should prove to be quite a challenge in FSX.

http://www.angelfire.com/fm/compass/Catalina.htm

You’d have to cheat a bit by not placing it anywhere that it really was since that would make it too easy to find by simply digging through history books.

Puppy

The limitations of the experiment:

- only 3 or 4 models

- only FSX, not FS2004

- we will most likely add scenery (suggestions?)

- we like to avoid models and liveries that are very specific to one location or one period (but this is flexible)

- we will do at least one WW II version, but for the rest we like to stick to models that are still flying

I'm in DEFINITE agreement of this :D 8)

• Aerosoft
Hi Mathijs

I know that I have already expressed my wish in an earlier thread, but I would really like to see a PBY-6A in a Royal Danish Air Force version with radar dome etc. These birds were essential to the infrastructure of Greenland for many years, and they just look sooooo nice in that landscape:

I have a lot of historical PBY pictures from the collection of Alf Blume (and I have his permission to show them), furthermore I have access to the PBY-6A L-861 which is at the Technical Museum in Elsinore, plus drawings showing many details of the various markings and small symbols in the RDAF paint scheme. If you can use any of these things, I would be glad to help.

Regards

Kim Dahl

Kim, I think this is a definite candidate as the model looks real nice with the radar dome. If you could send me some detailed images on the livery?

I also like to know when this model flew, we are talking deep into the 60s right?

Asuming that you include "kimdahl"'s danish catalina, which i'd love to see, some scenery of the greenland fjords would do well. Some icebergs, dogsleighs, and so on, perhaps even santas workshop.

And the why not combine it with a Mission where you have fly to differnt fjords (or bygder as they are called in danish) and deliver supplies, and/or mail. The route could be going from south to north, with the weather getting incrisingly worse the fourther north you got.

Just a suggestion.

Michael

This may not be the place to say it, but the windscreen shape on that beta still needs a fair bit of work! The scale of the pilots also seems wrong, unless flown by dwarves!

duxford05_05.jpg

Also, the Duxford (Plane Sailing) Cat is one of the most famous examples still extant - and has that faded grandeur that matches the panel!

Aha! I see you've already picked up on that. A couple more shots of the Plane Sailing Cats, in current scheme:

http://www.catalinabookings.org/gallery.asp

Alos, note the GPS setup! NO GPS in Cats..? :wink:

And mission-wise, how about recreating a trans-oceanic trip - ferry flight or delivery mission? The long overwater legs somehow seem to suit the idea of a water baby, and you could experience the changing landscapes and sceneries of FSX?!

Yeah, the cockpüit size has been causing some discussion in the other Cat thread here, although I would dare suggest that the high level of zoom in the photo above does affect appearances too. OTOH, yes, the pilots do appear small - or is the model too big? But also: looking at that photo points out a feature that the Aerosoft Cat WILL need - the manhole cover on the nose :) Very nice colour scheme there too, Simon, which plane is that?

On the subject of noses - some of the versions appear to have a sharp "hook" or "roman" nose, and others appear to have a chiselled off tip of the nose too...

Just observations.

Hi Mathijs

You can find informations about the RDAF Cats on this page. It is "only" in Danish, but the build numbers, registrations and service periods with the RDAF should be easy to understand anyway: http://www.broeg.dk/index-1.htm (click on 'Flyene' and then 'PBY-5A' and PBY-6A'). Later today I will do a scan of the drawings with the marking details and send you some of my own pictures of the special RDAF details on the L-861 (only exterior, I have not yet been allowed inside...). But I think I can say already that the tail on the danish PBY-6A has a slightly different profile from the drawing in this post, the rear edge has a steeper angle.

Regards

Kim

Mmhh... if I would have FSX (and a Intel Core 40 Duo :wink: ) I probably would think about beeing a part of the beta-testing-team....

no, i'm just kidding :wink:

Maybe I buy FSX in one or two years...Go FS9 Go!!!

I sure hope there'll be a PBY-5A (late) as per the models overview (scanned by me from Sqn/Signals Publications "PBY Catalina In Action"). That should make a late WWII/early Cold War ASW/Air Sea Rescue Cat possible. Late "Black Cats" were of the same variant I believe. And...... that GPS, well..... I hate it... :shock:

Hi Dag

I agree with you on the GPS. BTW I have found two pictures of the RDAF radar from the L-861:

Radar%201.jpg

Radar%202.jpg

I'm sorry, but that's the only info I have on the radar.

Right now I am translating the colour codes etc. on my paint scheme drawings, and I would like to know where to upload / send them, since they are rather large...

/Kim

I'm with Kofi on wanting more than one WW2 Cat. That Coastal Command lady looks too good to resist and I have an idea for a non combat mission that could be fun, and challenging in the right conditions.

If memory serves, didn't the US use Catalinas to ferry fuel and supplies to improvised bases for the PT boats across the Pacific? Several small isolated bases (which wouldn't clash with modern FS scenery), destination could be a variable so could still be contained in one mission. Multiple take offs/landings could have varying degrees of difficulty depending on location/weather/time of day/deadline. Would be bound to appeal to all those freight dogs/FScargo pilots out there. You could even have a last minute dash to supply some parts to the boats heading off to retrieve MacArthur from Bataan.

Just my mental meanderings. Looking forward to this one.

Ian

Two things,spring to mind.

1) i would like to see a 100% cockpit,as per original aircraft,if it aint real enough,i aint interested.

2) its a shame you are ignoring fs9,as at this time,i have no intentions of going for fsx,to many problems with it at present. :(

regards alan. 8)

P.S. other than that its looking very good,and is one of my all time favorite aircraft. 8)

I really hope there will be a FS9 version when it comes out because that would just be wrong to exclude FS9 users from flying this great aircraft too. FSX has a lonnng way of proving itself yet in Quality and performance. I just hope we FS9 users will be able to par take in this wonderful bird too :(

You know I use FS9 and FSX. FS9 is much better in performance on my machine than FSX, but I can set up the latter for a pleasant experience. I want to see developers start to push the boundaries of FSX and this can only be done if they start to move away from FS9 and code for FSX. You know if they don't do this they run the risk of being left behind further down the line which non of us would want.

So please let's not invade this thread with reasons why Aerosoft should make the Catalina for FS9, let's be happy they are moving forward and that someday soon you'll be able to enjoy the excellent products they have created for this new sim, happy in the knowledge that you didn't hold them back :wink:

Lets not use this thread for a FS9/FSX debate, if you'd like to do that please open a new thread 8)