Lantirn

"BURNS"

Hey guys I have tried to follow the setup for lantirn ops. Been able to move the lantirn in all direction but I cannot find the target designator fonction in the garmin control menu. : (

The target designation is not in the GARMIN control menu (AFAIK) you need to map a key to G1000 MFD Cursor Select Button in the FS controls option, then you use that to designate a target, (or at least that I was doing during the beta, I haven't tried with this release yet.

Cheers

-Josh

Josh has the base concept correct (the Key Input needs to be mapped), but to make sure we're all talking about the same thing:

- The button assigned to the 'G1000 MFD Cursor Select Button' is used to initiate an AI target track (i.e. FLIR lock)

- The button assigned to the TacPack Trigger is used to designate (Lase) a target and bring up targeting information

I think I kinda got it but the lantirn display starts shaking and I can't get the Bombs to hit at the right.

BTW love the aircraft. Great work.

How are you controlling the pod, key press or joystick input; and are you doing GPS (Area) track or AI (Point) track?

(thanks for the king words!)

I would suggest you read pages 16-21 in Vol 6 of the manuals, there's a bit of a learning curve.

With that said, the next time you're trying to hold an Area track, try switching off the joystick input. It's possible that there's some noise, of the joystick isn't perfectly centered and it still thinks there is some input. The deadzone for the joystick input is +1.5% but we might have to increase it if people are having issues.

I also am struggling with this on P3d V2.5, set both key command and also a joystick button, no luck so far. Id wish any addon creators that are tacpacking an aircraft to use the same commands as VRS as it would be simpler to have the same commands set up on a joystick rather than learning a whole new set each time I purchase a tacpack enabled addon.

2 minutes ago, chrissykes said:

I also am struggling with this on P3d V2.5, set both key command and also a joystick button, no luck so far. Id wish any addon creators that are tacpacking an aircraft to use the same commands as VRS as it would be simpler to have the same commands set up on a joystick rather than learning a whole new set each time I purchase a tacpack enabled addon.

Which key commands did you set?

Also by similar logic I wish other devs would use the same keybindings as this Aircraft as it is the one I fly ~90% of the time. But using FSUIPC (registered) I have aircraft specific profiles that equate to about the same commands for each aircraft now.

The RIO stick is actually working really well, with practice. 1st trip out to Fallon and my GBU-12s found the same zip code as the target, mostly due to operator error. Thinking I was out of RIO stick mode to move the jet, only to find my nicely lined up crosshairs move.

I see the LUA assignment for auto/manual laser, but is there no way to set different laser codes?

Once a LANTIRN target is designated, there is no symbology for the pilot to steer to?

13 hours ago, Victory103 said:

I see the LUA assignment for auto/manual laser, but is there no way to set different laser codes?

We could offer the adjustment if it were desired. We just couldn't think of a good way to implement the feature (I really dislike functions that don't have a corresponding button or switch in the VC), but it would be easy enough to add lua adjustments for each of the digits.

13 hours ago, Victory103 said:

Once a LANTIRN target is designated, there is no symbology for the pilot to steer to?

As far as I understand, the LANTIRN was only half integrated into the F-14's. E.g. LANTIRN is a Targeting and Navigation pod designed for F-15's, and the F-14's only acquired the targeting portion. So, the pilot steers by setting the VDI to TV mode and looking at the steering bar on the LANTIRN display. I can double check with our F-14 driver just to make sure that we didn't miss something glaring.   

Thanks, I have only testing some buddy lasing with the VRS Bug and changed codes, otherwise I don't see a reason to have it unless used in a dense MP environment or shooting Mavericks (not applicable to the F-14). The Iris A-10 uses the ACM 2D panel to change both laser codes and Mode 4 settings FYI.

I'll see what I can find as well, but I know the "D" NATOPS I have will have a completely different system ie wiring. I used the steering cue while in the RIO pit with the autopilot on.

• 3 weeks later...

The shaking he was referring too, I get it as well when using continuous designation, it shakes, and slides slowly above from the intended target.

In addition, unless I'm doing something wrong, I can only get it to lase in continuous designation by depressing the trigger the whole time.

Here is what I've done to try and get it to designate:

Set to ATTK

Displays to LANTIRN

Slew designator to desired target.

Set to manual

Depress trigger(red text of surrogate should appear, but only appears if I continuously depress the trigger)

When continuously depressing the trigger I dont get any time to release data, I just have to figure it.

I must be doing something wrong, feedback is appreciated,

Peter

Peter,

From what I understand the shaking is on the tacpack side of things, and does not actually move the laser around you can check the target coordinates to confirm (though they may move very slightly). 

While the Laser is in manual mode you have to keep the trigger depressed for the entire flight, I only use manual when I am buddy lasing and switch to auto laser when guiding my own bombs. In auto mode the laser should fire from weapon release until 10 seconds (I think) after target impact, which in manual mode does not show up. 

I'm going to be doing a training flight later tonight for some of the new members in my squadron, I will attempt to record it and make a tutorial video from it.

Cheers

-Josh

Thing is that on continuous designate, the lantirn moves so much that the time to release data is really inaccurate. I find the lantirn shuffles a away from the target quite quickly.

In single designate I can't really get designation information, or rather it doesn't give me the time to release data.

It's a bit hit and miss(har har) when I get a more desired result when doing this I find.

Thanks,

Peter

I don't recall a difference between the two modes for camera movement, but I will do some moretesting tonight and hopefully get my recording software setup more correctly as well.

I find in single designation i can't get TTRL data and it doesn't really laser, but it holds a position steadily.

However with continuous, i do get TTRL data, but it's incorrect since the camera shakes and shakes away from the point, thus the TTRL data becomes incorrect.

• 3 months later...
On 2016. 04. 10. at 7:47 PM, Wingmate said:

I'm going to be doing a training flight later tonight for some of the new members in my squadron, I will attempt to record it and make a tutorial video from it.

Josh, no offense, just asking: did you made a video or a text tutorial for the Lantirn? If yes, can you share it, please?

Archived