Power lever reverse.

wedge1948

Not sure if this is an age thing but I cannot figure out how to move the power lever in the twin Otter past ground idle into reverse. I am using the Saitek quadrant which brings the power lever back to ground idle which as I understand it is correct, but how do I move it on to use the reverse . Have I missed something .

regards Reg Gibson

4 hours ago, wedge1948 said:

I am using the Saitek quadrant which brings the power lever back to ground idle which as I understand it is correct, but how do I move it on to use the reverse

This is hard to program properly on hardware like the Saitek that doesn't really support reverse. You could use FSUIPC to program two distinct ranges on each power lever, but without a central detent this will not work satisfactorily. You have two other options. First, if you have more than one quadrant you can use two separate levers for the reverse range. This gives you complete analogue control of reverse. This is what I do in my Twin Otter cockpit - it's the two yellow levers you will see in many of my videos. You will need FSUIPC for this too, as analogue reverse axes are not available in FSX. The second way is to abandon analogue reverse and map the lower detente on each lever (the click at the bottom, which appears to FSX as a button press) to the 'decrease throttle1 quickly' or 'decrease throttle2 quickly' command, making you set the maximum repeat rate. This gives you an all or nothing reverse. (You may need to program the 'throttle 1 cut' or 'throttle 2 cut' command to the button-up event too.)

There is a fourth option for advanced FSUIPC users. It uses the bottom detent to swap the action of the lever between forward and reverse. I haven't tried this so you are on your own!

Mark,

Thx for the reply, that has given me a few things to try. I have the full FSUIPC but have not used it much yet so I will try your suggestions and reply. thx Reg

Had some success but in FSX and P3d  control set up when I look for 'decrease throttle1 quickly there is only a single  `decrease throttle quickly` How do I get 1and 2. similar with throttle cut function.

As stated , had some success, and I can now get reverse but only both engines at once. Once again thx for your assistance.

regards Reg Gibson

2 hours ago, wedge1948 said:

Had some success but in FSX and P3d  control set up when I look for 'decrease throttle1 quickly there is only a single  `decrease throttle quickly` How do I get 1and 2. similar with throttle cut function.

Sorry, those may be FSUIPC functions. I will check later when the FSX PC is on...

I just had a look. You are right, FSX has only 'throttle (decrease)', 'throttle (decrease quickly)' and 'throttle (cut)'. FSUIPC has 'throttle 1 decr', 'throttle 1 decr small' and 'throttle 1 cut'. Same for 2, 3 and 4. I don't think I have tried these out, I've only used this method for singles. You might check out my Turbine Toucan video, which goes through how to program this on that aircraft. In particular, you may find that a throttle cut isn't enough because it leaves you with some forward thrust. On the Toucan this can actually be enough thrust to take off or at least run you into the next field!

Thx again, I will have a look over the next couple of days. I am going to have to get to grips with FSUIPC  so this seems as good a time as any to start.

regards Reg.

Archived