Windows 10 Tweaks

Hi All,

When I first  started FSX years ago now, I followed a PC set up guide produced by a chap called NickN.

I don't know how familiar people are with this guide but it outlined a number of pc tweaks including turning of windows services and changing temp file locations.

I am about to finish a new build with Windows 10 and was wondering, now that technology and parts have moved on considerably are these changes and tweaks still valid with a modern system and modern OS?
Should I be looking to even install W10 and apply these changes or should I stick with Windows 7.

Regards,

Al

• Aerosoft

Go for Win10, you'll never look back. And though people still like to tweak, I would now of nothing that would make sense to your sim unless you got some seriously weird hardware or configurations (like me with three different internet connections, lol)

19 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Go for Win10, you'll never look back. And though people still like to tweak, I would now of nothing that would make sense to your sim unless you got some seriously weird hardware or configurations (like me with three different internet connections, lol)

Thanks Mathijs,
There is nothing unusual about the build, I7 6700K, GTX 980TI, 16GB 3200 RAM, Liquid cooler etc No SLI or anything. I may overclock but still can't see that causing any issues as long as it's stable. It was things like turning of paging files & windows services, moving temp file locations etc.

If none of these are needed on more modern systems I will leave everything as it is.

Al

On 24-2-2016 at 5:04 PM, Mathijs Kok said:

Go for Win10, you'll never look back.

That may be true for some, but certainly not for all. I've tried Windows 10 once, but didn't like it so I'm back at Windows 7.

But of course, I'm one of those retro freaks that doesn't like changes. Still using the classic Windows 98 desktop theme and using Classic Shell for the Windows 98-style start menu and everything more that's not there anymore by default. Browsing the web using Firefox with the Classic Theme Restorer extension. If anything changes, I like to change it back.

I've heard lots of negative things about Windows 10, like one guy I know had it installed on his laptop and after that Bluetooth didn't work anymore. There simply was no Windows 10 driver for the Bluetooth device built in that laptop, there still isn't. Eventough the laptop is not even that old, the manufacturer simply says they don't support Windows 10 for that laptop.

• Aerosoft

Sure, if you got tens of millions of people using an OS there will be people with problems. I got a wifi issue with a laptop. But to advise somebody to install a 7 year old OS that is no longer supported by Microsoft (unless you got the professional extended support option) would be bad advise in my opinion. 

Mathijs advice is on the money,
i personally made the leap from XP to 8.1;
after spending days untangling MS security and shop mess i am a happy camper on 8.1,
i don't see myself making another change to 10; im not buying the free copy premiss!

it is so out of the norm i cant help but suspect there's a catch there,

though many made the move to 10 and are very happy with it,

12 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

no longer supported by Microsoft

Another thing that is not true, Windows 7 is still supported by Microsoft. XP and Vista are not supported anymore, but 7 is and it's even still for sale. You can just buy a legal copy of Windows 7 today and it's fully supported.

For some people Windows 10 might perform flawless and if that's the case for them that's fine of course. For FS I don't think it matters, altough I never personally tried. But I can imagine it performs just as good on one Windows version as it does on the other. Therefor what Windows version you like to use is just a matter of taste, some like one windows version and some like another.

• Deputy Sheriffs
9 hours ago, PatrickZ said:

Another thing that is not true, Windows 7 is still supported by Microsoft. XP and Vista are not supported anymore, but 7 is and it's even still for sale. You can just buy a legal copy of Windows 7 today and it's fully supported.

Again it is you who is wrong. According to Microsofts Support and Livecycle policy:
Mainstream support for Windows 7 (SP1) ended 13.January 2015

Extended support for Windows 7 (SP1) ends 14. January 2020, BUT extended support includes only security updates for free, everthing else will be charged and is not available for Comsumer-Products

About buying Windows 7:

delivery of retail versions ended 31. October 2013

delivery of OEM versions will end 31. October 2016

So what you may find out there in shops are OEM versions or in rare cases leftovers from retail products (what should not be the cases regarding contracts between retail and MS).

On 27-2-2016 at 10:26 AM, mopperle said:

Extended support for Windows 7 (SP1) ends 14. January 2020, BUT extended support includes only security updates for free, everthing else will be charged and is not available for Comsumer-Products

But that's enough, isn't it? I don't need mainstream support and 2020 is still far away.

Archived