PC Hardware upgrade for FSX

Hey guys,

I know there were a lot of threads with questions regarding PC hardware for FSX out there, so I hope it's okay to open another one now :-)
I'm planning to upgrade my system, and after reading the hints from the threads back to last June, I would prefer following hardware.
The PC will not used for FSX only, I need it for Photoshop, Video & 3D Rendering as well.

Intel i7 6700 @ 3,4GHz Boost to 4,00GHz
MSI Z170A Gaming pro
GB GeForce GTX 960 WindForce OC, @ 4GB
16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 RAM @ 2133 MHz
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB and maybe a small one with 120GB for OS and some programs

I've read that a good CPU is more necessary than GPU for FSX and that an i5 would be sufficient.
But for Video rendering processes I would prefere an i7 because of hyperthreading...

So what do you think, would the above mentioned system be fine to run FSX+addons well with high settings?

I currently use FSX gold, AES, Aerosoft A320, Mega Airport Heathrow, Berlin, Corfu and GA3, 
all on an a Win7 64bit Pro system with an i5 3550 @ 3,30 GHz.
But of course I want to add some more addons like Rex4, 777 and more in the future, so I think it's time for an upgrade :-)

Thank you for your help!

I think that's definately a good choice of hardware. However there's one thing about the CPU. You say you want to overclock it and therefor you need a CPU that ends with a K, so in your case the 6700K instead of the 6700. The regular 6700 can't be overclocked (or at least it's very difficult), the 6700K can be overclocked.

Thank you for your quick reply.

vor 26 Minuten, PatrickZ sagte:

You say you want to overclock it and therefor you need a CPU that ends with a K, so in your case the 6700K instead of the 6700. The regular 6700 can't be overclocked (or at least it's very difficult), the 6700K can be overclocked.

Did I? :-)   The only component which is overclocked, is the GPU, but already ex works. To be honest, overclocking is the only thing about computerhardware, that I've never done in all the past years, because I don't know anything about it...

Thats the reason for choosing the 6700 without K :-)    Do you think the CPU without OC @ 3,5 GHz in enough?

vor 22 Minuten, Jonas Scholz sagte:

Hello,

that depends on your settings and your desired look. I for myself use an old 2600K but OCed it to 4,4ghz and it works like a charm.

Jonas

Hi Jonas,

Currently I have high settings (as recommended in this thread: http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/105433-enorme-fps-unterschiede-default-und-payware/&page=1 )

with my i5 @ 3,3ghz but at Heathrow Xtreme and the A321 addon, my system reaches his limits :)

I know, FSX don't use Hyperthreading, but I need this for rendering.... So I decided to buy an i7 and because I have no idea about OC I choose the 6700.

So to have a nice look with high settings and some more addons, a 6700@3,4ghz would not work quite better, right? I see, that the most people in this forum use CPU's with over 4 ghz.....

• 2 weeks later...

So I have decided to get an 6700K, because it's not much more expensive and I found out, that with the newest UEFI/BIOS its not as difficult to OC the CPU as I thought.

My last question is, if anybody can recommend a good CPU cooler?

I know many people would recommend a AiO Watercooler and I would prefere them, too. But in some reviews they say the included fans (such as with Corsair) or pumps are really loud.

I hope someone can recommend a good cooling solution, either a tower cooler or an all in one watercooler, the main thing is its quiet and efficient.

(It doesn't matter, if its a 120 or 240mm radiator, I'm going to buy a new case anyway)

Thanks!

:cheers_s:

vor 2 Stunden , Mathijs Kok sagte:

I really like the Corsair Hydro Series. Silent, effective and most important it moves the heat OUT of the case and not blows it around inside the case (something I always considered very silly)

Thank you Mathijs!

Yes, I like the Corsair H100i v2 or H80i v2, too. But I read some reviews, made by the german 'PC Games Hardware' - authors, who say that the included fans are really loud.... Did you replace them with other fans or do you use the included ones?

I am happy with my Noctua NH-D15, it manages to keep my i7-4790k at 4.8GHz cooled down and with proper airflow, the hot air does get blown out quick and efficiently thanks to the high end Noctua fans mounted on my chassis. 

You want to be careful with what Chassis you purchase since the smaller lower end once don't have support for the bigger 240mm radiators with fans mounted to it. I'd take the Corsair 450D or Phanteks Enthoo Pro.

Other might give you better recommandations though since I am still fairly a newbee on this department.

vor 29 Minuten, emshomar sagte:

You want to be careful with what Chassis you purchase since the smaller lower end once don't have support for the bigger 240mm radiators with fans mounted to it. I'd take the Corsair 450D or Phanteks Enthoo Pro.

Other might give you better recommandations though since I am still fairly a newbee on this department.

Thank you for you recommendations. At this point I have 2 different cases/setups in mind, because I need a minimum of 3x 5,25" Slots (DVD, BD, Fan Controller) :

Corsair 500R with H100i OR Corsair 300R with H80i

And if the included fans are too loud, I would replace them with two Noctua NF-F12 or Be quiet Silent Wings 2 fans.

Actually I don't want to put such heavy coolers like a Macho or Brocken on the slim Skylake CPU :wacko: (If I could get similar temperatures and noise level with an AiO)

• Aerosoft

I am not very picky about sound but I can honestly say I have only heard the fan on the watercooler when I was compressing files using 7zip that manages to get all my 6 cores to 100%. And that was because my office was quiet at the time. The 12 cm fan in the top that drags out all heat makes far more noise. 

Well that sounds good :-) I just want to make sure to get the right hardware, because I don't want to have 'engine-like sounds' while playing FSX even though the airplane is still cold and dark :P

Thank you Mathijs! So now I just have to decide, which case I will take :lol:

Thank you guys for your help, have a great weekend!

Phillip

vor 5 Stunden , Jeroen Doorman sagte:

Make sure you get a case that has it's mind set into the future so that when you want to change parts the case would still be of use :)

Yes, because I choose the Corsair H100i GTX, I decided to get the Carbide 500R, I think/hope this one should be ready for the future :D 

Today I have ordered all parts, so hopefully everything will be here in a few days:groupwave_s:

P.S.: I love your promotional videos, they are awesome! :D

Greetings from Berlin

Hey guys,

my new system is completly installed and its just awesome :) I only bought a MSI GTX 960 Gaming 4G instead of the Gigabyte.
Thank you for all your help! The Corsair H100i GTX is very silent(with fans set to under 1200rpm) and keeps the CPU under 50 degrees. 

FSX runs very smooth with 30-50 FPS as well but I only have one issue, I hope you have an idea.

I've made a testflight in the FSX F-18 over Heathrow Extended, and have some problems with the graphic:

Please login to display this image.

Its always just for a few seconds and the size and place of the dark textures changes but its a bit annoying with the new hardware ;)

In the fsx.cfg I only added the '--highmemfix=1--' and the graphic settings are the same as with my old system.

The black AI planes are 'normal', I still have to add the missing textures...

Thank you!

vor 25 Minuten, Mathijs Kok sagte:

Clearly those textures are slow to load. Are they on and SD or HD? Did you defragment the HD after setting up the system? Told you virus scanner not to scan BGL?

Yes its a very complex scenery, but I didn't have those problems on my old system which was running on an HDD, and now I have the same issues at other airports.

Now I have the OS on an SSD and FSX with all addons on a seperate SSD. And no, I didn't defragment SSD's :)

I checked my virus scanner (Avira free antivir) but I didn't find an option to scan or not to scan BGL files....

I played around with FSX settings but it's always the same.... I now set everything back to the recommended settings from Alex in this post which I had before: 

Maybe its the GTX960, but all drivers are up to date :huh:

*edit:

I've deleted all FSX files and installed all addons again. Between each installation I made a quick test flight.... With FSX only I didn't have those problems, and btw I had around 120+ FPS :o

When I installed Heathrow, I have those issues again, but at least Tempelhof (EDDI) is now shown correctly, because I installed GA3 before Berlin Brandenburg B)

vor 2 Stunden , Mathijs Kok sagte:

But the Heathrow textures are absolutely standard, nothing there that might cause problems.

Hmm that's strange. I made a very small test-flight from EDDB (with Mega Airport Berlin) to EDDT (With GA3) with the A321.

There were only small black cubes around the PAPI Lights, while loading them, but the other textures were fine.

I had 25-40 FPS on the ground and 45-60 FPS in the air....

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/15/2016 at 7:55 AM, B748_Fan said:

Hey guys,

I know there were a lot of threads with questions regarding PC hardware for FSX out there, so I hope it's okay to open another one now :-)
I'm planning to upgrade my system, and after reading the hints from the threads back to last June, I would prefer following hardware.
The PC will not used for FSX only, I need it for Photoshop, Video & 3D Rendering as well.

Intel i7 6700 @ 3,4GHz Boost to 4,00GHz
MSI Z170A Gaming pro
GB GeForce GTX 960 WindForce OC, @ 4GB
16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 RAM @ 2133 MHz
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB and maybe a small one with 120GB for OS and some programs

I've read that a good CPU is more necessary than GPU for FSX and that an i5 would be sufficient.
But for Video rendering processes I would prefere an i7 because of hyperthreading...

So what do you think, would the above mentioned system be fine to run FSX+addons well with high settings?

I currently use FSX gold, AES, Aerosoft A320, Mega Airport Heathrow, Berlin, Corfu and GA3, 
all on an a Win7 64bit Pro system with an i5 3550 @ 3,30 GHz.
But of course I want to add some more addons like Rex4, 777 and more in the future, so I think it's time for an upgrade :-)

Thank you for your help!

Overclocking you cpu would't help. The 6700 Is A awesome chip :D I suggest getting a gtx 970 for more cuda cores and if you can a 980.

vor 17 Stunden , [FB]Killstreak sagte:

Overclocking you cpu would't help. The 6700 Is A awesome chip :D I suggest getting a gtx 970 for more cuda cores and if you can a 980.

Thank you for your hint, but I already bought all components (including an 6700K and a GTX 960) which were running since march :)

And apart from the scenery problems at Heathrow, which I posted above, FSX is running very smooth with the other airport addons and Rex4, so I think it also might be ready for FTX global :D

Archived