Low fuel planes unresponsive, stuck on screen, plus a UE memory error

I just started playing today, and am enjoying it so far, but I ran into a couple of problems that I thought I'd report.  I don't know if the two are related.

First, I ended up with 4 aircraft misdirected and as a result they all ended up with fuel emergencies, very far from the airport.  I tried to redirect them with manual commands.  The waypoint lines showed up on the screen, and the planes initially changed direction.

However, after a time, they began showing negative altitude, low speed (130-150), and no longer responded to heading, speed or altitude change requests.  I actually left them on the screen for about an hour like that, showing fuel emergency the whole time, and they never crashed, but just seemed to get stuck.

After about an hour of that, I got an Unhandled Exception error stating something about a memory problem.  I don't recall the exact error now.  I tried to continue through the error, but the program crashed.

If you like, I can try to reproduce this.  (My system:  I7-4790K, 16Gb ram, Win7 64bit, Game running in Steam)

A little more info.  I played a 2nd round and ran into the same 'stuck planes' issue, but not the crash this time.  The crash may not be related at all, of course.

I'm guessing here, but it seems that if I wait too long to depart aircraft, they burn too much fuel on the tarmac and then run low in the air while still in my sector.  Once they hit low fuel, they will not leave my sector and screen.

At that point they reduce to negative altitude, low speed, and no longer respond to commands.  These are very stubborn aircraft, as they flatly 'refuse to crash', and insist on being an eyesore and clogging up my screen space!  heheh :)

While in the real world there is no doubt zero tolerance for disasters like this, for casual simulation/gaming, this is effectively a show stopper bug that requires a restart.  I have not yet tried to stepback through it and see if I can prevent delays on the tarmac and fix it that way.  I will try that soon.

Here are a couple of pics that show how they stick around after a long period of time.

Please login to display this image.

I should also add that I'm only guessing that it's the 'low fuel' issue that is the beginning of the cause of the bug.  it might actually be that the aircraft are not passing out of my sector appropriately, staying on my screen, and then I'm being shown info about the aircraft that I should never actually see.

Ok, more info.  This apparently has nothing to do with fuel.  I just played another round, and this time I made sure to depart my aircraft very quickly.

I ended up with 2 planes way, way past where they should have departed my sector and screen, and they both had plenty of fuel.  After about 20 minutes on the screen (at 3-5x realtime), I took a screenshot, and one of them had just switched on the low fuel warning and the other is still green.

Well. Have you tried any of the included scenario tutorials?

You must guide the departing aircraft to their exit point of your sector. It is specified at the bottom of flight strip as "TO: WAYPOINT_NAME".

If you are not sure what procedure to use or where is this point just type the direct flight command "CALLSIGN D WAYPOINT_NAME"

Hope this helps. ;)

Ah, thank you!  Some way or another I was under the impression that departure waypoints and headings were automatic.  I guess I'm too accustomed to playing games and not sims!

Thanks again. :)

If you have "Automatic SID" enabled GATC will try to assigne the best suited SID it can find. But for some airprots SID have transitions and therefore there is not one SID to the exit point and GATC can't find it. The best practice is to assign departure procedure or direct, along with climb instructions prior to takeoff ;)

Archived