EDDM: Extreme Airport and Vehicle Lights

Sonhospa

Hello everybody,

I extracted this issue from my other thread to help others find a possible solution easier.

On 1.2.2016 at 18:22, Sonhospa sagte:

At night the lights are much too big and too bright (see picture). Is there any possibility to adjust that? I tried the relevant option in "FlusiFix" but it doesn't seem to work for the Mega Airport Munich. Another side effect of this is that even the stairlights of the rear exit gangway are so bright that the gangway illuminates it's environment...

On 5.2.2016 at 23:18, Jonas Scholz sagte:

To me it looks like you have the lightbloom turned on in the FSX settings. Please turn it off and see if that brings the lights back to a decent size.

During the past week I experimented a lot with several tweaks of my fsx.cfg, which included switching lightbloom off (assuming it's "Beleuchtung" in the German FSX or BLOOM_EFFECTS=0) which resulted in a massively increasing overall framerate. Switching it off also helped a little bit regarding the EDDM lights, like you suggested. Btw I think I had a good improvement setting "SmallPartRejectRadius=4"... more experiments needed to find out about the downside of this setting. The pictures I enclosed now are taken a few minutes ago, based on my latest fsx.cfg, which I enclosed. I haven't applied the "FlusiFix" tweak again, and I don't use anything like ENBSeries yet. As you can see, the gate situation (gangway in particular) is much better than before, and in comparison with the older pics I see a nice overall increase.

Still I have these huge red balloons on every light pole (not existing in reality), and taxi & apron lights as well as the ground vehicle lights outshine big parts of their surrounding textures. I can live with that, of course (it's still a game, right ;)?), but if there's any additional adjustment / configuration possibility in the Mega Airport or in AES then I'd be really happy to see EDDM as the eyecandy it deserves.

Thank you for further consideration,

Mick

fsx.cfg

Please login to display this image.

Just now I seem to have stumbled upon something that might be information of value: The effect seems to be connected with the zoom factor used in that very moment!

If I look at the gate situation shown in the initial message very close (zoom > 2.0), the gangway and ground vehicle lights have quite a reasonable size and the scenery looks much (much!) nicer, i.e. more realistic. Reducing the zoom factor stepwise (back to zoom 0.4) the general scenery reduces in size, while the lights don't! As a result, the gangway stairs become brighter and brighter (i.e. bigger in relation to the rest) with each step, until they finally illuminate the airfield... as well as the "red balloons on the light poles" get bigger and bigger while reducing zoom. Would that be a clue?

Now having set "SmallPartRejectRadius=2" I found a first downside of this: From further away, the runway isn't visible well... btw. much much worse than a close default airport, despite this underlies the same technical rules. I guess the runway and airport lights are just not shown until they're big enough in size to comply with the setting. Pls let me know if you need any pics for demonstration.

I'm going to repeat my test flight with the normal setting for this parameter and play with the zoom factor a bit. Maybe I have additional information in a little while.

Regards - Mick

EDIT: I can confirm the connection with the zoom factor (in each view)! Using zoom factors bigger than 3 (outside view) bring many of the ligths to a reasonable size, while the runway lights need a zoom > 8 (which makes no sense when in an airliner). In cockpit view it's a bit lesser (zoom 4 is fairly ok, just not usable for a in-flight manouvers or taxi). Zoom 6 in cockpit view looks quite nice already, but you can't even see the Follow-Me vehicle anymore...

Hello Mick,

sorry for the late reply, but I do not think this can be changed any further.
Your findings are taken into account for future projects of course, but seeing that this is a 6 year old scenery by now I do not think it's going to be changed again.

Hello Emanuel,

thank you for researching. Of course this result is a pity, but then at least I can stop experimenting with the fsx.cfg, which works very well oherwise.

In case you can use any additional documentation (e.g. a video, since in cockpit view the "red balloons" are sometimes even blinking) in regard to a bugfix or update (which I understand you don't expect) of to the development of other scenery products, let me know.

One more idea: To a certain extent I'm making scenery myself, so if you find a clue for a programmatic change from the developers (e.g. which model / file contains the balloons etc), I would be ready to experiment more on that level and probably find possible workarounds with other developers.

Regards

Mick

• Aerosoft

6 hours ago, Sonhospa said:

One more idea: To a certain extent I'm making scenery myself, so if you find a clue for a programmatic change from the developers (e.g. which model / file contains the balloons etc), I would be ready to experiment more on that level and probably find possible workarounds with other developers.

Hello Mick,

im afraid as this is not possible. Sorry for this inconvenice.

Jonas

• Deputy Sheriffs

Mick, I think this is nothing a dev can change. the problem arises when using the standard halo.bmp. I do not see what you see in FSX as I use an alternate halo.bmp, but I can see the same in P3D, where still the old/default halo.bmp is being used.

Maybe you might experiment with  the files I've attached.

Halo.zip

On 12.2.2016 at 10:29, Emanuel Hagen sagte:

I do not think this can be changed any further.

vor 11 Stunden , Jonas Scholz sagte:

im afraid as this is not possible.

Otto, you did it :grouprespect_s:!

Thank you tons for your dedication, which obviously makes you stand out, and for enclosing the bitmaps for convenience. You as well gave me the needed clue to personal taste and/or system configuration adjustment, so that I might even dive into further whenever it would make sense to me (like e.g. brighten up the smallest mipmap in order to have the runway visible from further away).

So tonight I'm extremely happy that Bob Marley shot the Sheriff and not the Deputy :lolsign_s:

Kindest regards

Mick

For others facing the same issue, I quickly summarize the easy steps and put some pictures before (IMHO) the thread should be marked as resolved:

• Otto's zip file has several files named "halo.bmp", well organized in different folders. You can see them here in comparison (#4 is default).
  • Please login to display this image.

• Go to your main FSX "Texture" folder, rename the default file (e.g. "halo.bak") and copy one of the alternative bitmaps there.
  • Play and enjoy! (repeat with another alternative bitmap in case you're not content)

EDDM is much more realistic and eyecandy again, and the different zoom levels - as mentioned above - don't make a very big difference anymore. The following pictures show the use of the alternative named "50" on my system, and they represent an EDDM airport which is very very OK in my eyes (the small lights, like e.g. road vehicle lights, are even a little bit brighter):

• Deputy Sheriffs

Thanks to those who made this alternative files and if I remember correctly, part of them are from Oliver Pabst (dev of AES) and the user Nick Needham alias "NickN" at SimForums.

Archived