Flying FS2004 on a Vista operating system

david_wi

Hi Guys

AS I will buy a new computer shortly,it will be with the Windows Vista.

I will like to know if the FS2004 will work under this OS or not.

If someone has already upgraded to Vista,please say how it works.

Bye

David

I have Vista Ultimate and FS9 running perfectly. I noticed an increase of 5 - 10 fps. Unfortunately i cannot tell if this relates to the fact that i installed from scratch and my windowsXP installation was already 4 years old or if it relates to the 1GB of mem that i added ;)

My specs:

P4 3.2 Dual Core (800FSB)

2GB Ram

GF 6800GT 256MB

Forceware 100.59 Driver

Some old games don't run anymore. I had to give up my F1 2002 :(

FS9 and FalconAF however runs like a charm

Cheers

Martin

Hi Martin

I appreciate your reply and feel much better with this information. 8)

I did not want to lose my FS2004 as I like it and also spent so much money on add ons.I understand FSX is Vista made.

Bye

David

David,

I'm running both FS2004 & FSX on Vista. My machine is the same as Martin's except I have a Nvidia 6600 vid card. I lock my fps at 20 & it usually stays there.

FSX is another matter, as we've all heard, read or experienced.

HC

Hi Martin

I appreciate your reply and feel much better with this information. 8)

I did not want to lose my FS2004 as I like it and also spent so much money on add ons.I understand FSX is Vista made.

Bye

David

Actually, nope. FSX is made on and for FS9 since Vista and more importantly DX10, where not available yet when they designed FSX. That's why they will need to patch it later this year :wink:

I sadly have to admit, that i have removed FSX from my Vista. :( on the other hand, who cares, i got 20 GB free space again ;)

I tried FSX for several times now. I have tried many many tweaks and i tried my payware addons that natively are for FSX. I could not get the FPS go over 10-12 fps, even having the details lowered to the minimum. traffic 5% no AA, no AF, 1024x768, 1.x water high, no shadow, mesh 70%, ...

another thing you will take notice. FSX turns Aero OFF, while FS9 keeps it on. I have much better fps running FS9 natively Vista 32-Bit than having it on WinXP emulation mode.

I will certainly give another go, once the patch is out. A far as this concerns, expect it for Q4 '07.

cheers

Martin

Exactly what he says. Aero is only avaialable while sufficient resources exist. Vista with Aero running can suck up nearly a gig of memory, memory that is better left available for the game, so FSX switches off Aero.