A silly question but bear with

peter197

Hi,

When starting up the F-14A, I am aware you need to get to 18% RPM, but the RPM gauge isn't exactly obvious. The only thing I have to help me is by using the background sound of the engine starting, but sometimes the engine will stall, and other times it will successfully start up.
Maybe I am reading the RPM gauge wrong but the tape doesn't really make sense.
Peter

Peter,

The RPM gauge is not linear initially, from 0 to 6 (the first numbered line above 0) is 60% RPM with each tick in between representing 12%.  After 60% the gauge is linear with 10% increments from 60% to 110% with tick marks at 2% intervals. (or at least this is how I understand it)

In the image below is generally when I open the throttle (it looks a little high but I believe that it is due to perspective as the tape is set back from measurements.)

http://i.imgur.com/iJ2bmZc.jpg

Hope this helps.

Cheers

-Josh

Thanks, I did some testing earlier, and I found it to be the same too.

What is strange though, is that I went to an F-14 cockpit and it had the textures in 10% increments.

That is strange, every picture I have seen of the F-14 cockpit is set up the same way as the F-14X has it.

Please login to display this image.

and this really early looking cockpit 

If you read the RPM tab clearly, it should be in 10%, your pictures reinforce what I am saying.

The RPM gauge in the real thing according to yours and my pictures are in 10% increments up to 60%.

Picture taken by myself.

Indeed they do, I forgot to include the line with the 6 in it in my calculations.

The gauge loadout of the picture you posted is quite strange as well, two fuel flow gauges and no temp gauge. And the order of the gauges seems to be quite unusual as well.

4 hours ago, peter197 said:

Picture was from an F-14A cockpit on display, so presumably a few things were changed and removed.

Sometimes display models are cannibalized or come with parts missing, so either way they just replaced it missing gauge with what they had.

Archived