Airbus not climbing after takeoff

Airbus339

Hello,

today I had an issue I've never had and it's quite frightening. I was taking off from LHBP with the CFM A320, everything was set up correctly but at VR the aircraft simply lifted the nose but the VS remained zero. 

I reacted promptly by putting thrust levers in TOGA position but VS remained zero and the flight ended in a crash in the threes just north of the airport. 

This was the second flight of the day: I flew MXP-BUD without any issue, I stayed 30 minutes on the apron and then departed again.

Weather in LHBP was : LHBP 241500 17004KT 3000 BR OVC008 M01/M03 Q1033 R88/29//195 NOSIG

I've never experienced anything like this and I really have no idea what went wrong. Do you have any hints?

Thanks

PS: later on I'll post a video of what happened

• Deputy Sheriffs
2 minutes ago, UgleDrengen said:

It just happened to me aswell. I hope a fix will be up soon

No need for a fix, as it works perfect.

36 minutes ago, UgleDrengen said:

It just happened to me aswell. I hope a fix will be up soon

Thanks for your answer. In which conditions have you experienced this? (aircraft, airport, payload, weather...?)

34 minutes ago, mopperle said:

No need for a fix, as it works perfect.

Did you try on your system?

• Deputy Sheriffs

Yes of course (thousend times?) ;)

It might be a problem with the joystick assignment. Remember having that quite a while ago and not Airbus specific.

Other question: I assume it worked before, so something most have changed.

I have no problem with the joystick as I use other aicraft and there are no issues at all. 

The only thing that could have changed something is the new version of ASN I've recently installed: so the question could be, how the Aerosoft Airbus handle ice conditions?

7 minutes ago, Phil Reynolds said:

Sounds like icing. What were the weather conditions at the time and did you have anti-ice turned on?

Is icing really simulated on the Aerosoft Airbus 320? I turn it on by habit. But I thought it was not necessary.

4 minutes ago, mga010 said:

Is icing really simulated on the Aerosoft Airbus 320? I turn it on by habit. But I thought it was not necessary.

Yes. I actually tested this last week during sub-zero temperatures with snow. I had an ice gauge installed to show whether icing was occurring and took off both with and without anti-ice turned on.

Without, and my flight went the same way as the OP's, with the ice gauge showing red. With, and the icing slowly disappeared after turning on anti-ice and departure was normal. 

Note that I am using ASN which I believe simulates icing better than the đefault FS weather. 

Phil 

11 hours ago, Phil Reynolds said:

Sounds like icing. What were the weather conditions at the time and did you have anti-ice turned on?

15 hours ago, Airbus339 said:

Weather in LHBP was : LHBP 241500 17004KT 3000 BR OVC008 M01/M03 Q1033 R88/29//195 NOSIG

I did everything to cope with icing conditions by turning both wing and eng anti-ice on. However apparently ice didn't go away...

I had the same with the PMDG 777-200LR and the new Lancair Legacy V2 by Realair over the weekend in P3Dv3. I assume you're flying P3D, too?

Perhaps this is then caused by some other addon we both have installed.

The Icingtheory you discussed above could have some truth in it. I'm also using ASN and in both cases where this happened my aircraft were standing in snow for about half an hour before the issues happened.

In both my cases I could finally lift off after I gathered another ~30-50kt of speed.
I heared some weather addons using a fake speedbrake to reduce your lift and thus simulate icing. That could explain why the 30-50 extra knots finally got me airborne.

In both of my cases climb performance after takeoff was really really bad, so perhaps there was really something that wanted to simulate a higher drag by extending "artificial speedbrakes".

Which versions of ASN are you running?
I'm on the public release of SP4 in a P3Dv3.0 here.

28 minutes ago, Airbus339 said:

I did everything to cope with icing conditions by turning both wing and eng anti-ice on. However apparently ice didn't go away...

Once iced up, it does take a while for the ice to be removed after anti-ice is switched on. It also depends on how long you've been sitting icing up before beginning de-icing, the longer you wait, the more ice needs to be removed. 

If you get the ice gauge there's a good description of how icing works in the sim.

Phil 

6 minutes ago, Phil Reynolds said:

Once iced up, it does take a while for the ice to be removed after anti-ice is switched on. It also depends on how long you've been sitting icing up before beginning de-icing, the longer you wait, the more ice needs to be removed. 

If you get the ice gauge there's a good description of how icing works in the sim.

Phil 

That could be IRL. But AFAIK in FSX, when you turn on anti-ice, it should disappear immediately due to FSX limitation...

11 minutes ago, Emanuel Hagen said:

The Icingtheory you discussed above could have some truth in it. I'm also using ASN and in both cases where this happened my aircraft were standing in snow for about half an hour before the issues happened.

In both my cases I could finally lift off after I gathered another ~30-50kt of speed.
I heared some weather addons using a fake speedbrake to reduce your lift and thus simulate icing. That could explain why the 30-50 extra knots finally got me airborne.

In both of my cases climb performance after takeoff was really really bad, so perhaps there was really something that wanted to simulate a higher drag by extending "artificial speedbrakes".

Which versions of ASN are you running?
I'm on the public release of SP4 in a P3Dv3.0 here.

I'm running FSX SP2 and I have recently upgraded my ASN from SP3 to SP4

2 minutes ago, Airbus339 said:

That could be IRL. But AFAIK in FSX, when you turn on anti-ice, it should disappear immediately due to FSX limitation...

In FSX logic - yes, but have you considered that the ice comes from an addon?
Perhaps the addon has a custom icing logic implemented.

1 minute ago, Airbus339 said:

I'm running FSX SP2 and I have recently upgraded my ASN from SP3 to SP4

That wasn't my experience. After turning on anti-ice it took at least 5 minutes for the gauge to turn from red to amber. I do use ASN though, so this could be influencing the behaviour. 

Phil 

6 minutes ago, Emanuel Hagen said:

In FSX logic - yes, but have you considered that the ice comes from an addon?
Perhaps the addon has a custom icing logic implemented.

5 minutes ago, Phil Reynolds said:

That wasn't my experience. After turning on anti-ice it took at least 5 minutes for the gauge to turn from red to amber. I do use ASN though, so this could be influencing the behaviour. 

Phil 

It could be that ASN introduced a new way to simulate ice inside the simulator: in fact there's something in the changelog about it. 

Maybe during taxi from parking position to the runway, ASN thought ice was so thick it couldn't be removed in 10 minutes :huh:

I'm happy to know that it's not an Airbus issue. However I would be happy to know how to avoid such situation, as I think I did everything right to contrast ice formation... 

I'll wait an answer from ASN developers in this case.

17 minutes ago, bsal said:

Interesting stuff. Good to know that you can see info in the ASN debug window. I might redo my test flight again and check the debug window to confirm it's ASN icing, and also how quick it de-ices. 

Phil 

14 hours ago, bsal said:

Thanks. Will take a look.

9 hours ago, Fred Pickering said:

Set your trim to nose up 2 then it will climb.

Definitely not a good advice ...

Archived