When both engines stall.

peter197

Hi,

So in a theoretical situation that I cut off both engines, but I was below 330 IAS, Howeverm as the power dies, the generators and hydraulics die as well, so I cannot push the nose to the angle I would like.

In this case do the emergency hydraulics and emergency generator work?

If so how should I do that?

Peter

Unfortunately, when both engines have failed, the emergency hydraulics/generator are less helpful that you would expect.

The backup flight hydraulic system is electrically powered pump that's on the combined system. It's there to provide the bare minimum hydraulic flow to land the aircraft if you have a failure of by engine driven hydraulic pumps. The emergency generator is actually powered off of the combined (left side) hydraulic system. It provides power as long as you have more than 1300 PSI on that system. So in a situation where you've lost both hydraulics and generators you have lost the backups as well.

If you do flame both engines out, my suggestion would be to use the remaining hydraulic pressure to get in a nose down attitude as quickly as possible. You usually have 5+ seconds of hydraulic authority before the engines completely spool down. As long as the nose has started to come down before you lose the gens/hydraulics, they should come back up as soon as the engines start to windmill, usually about 200 KIAS.

Archived